CORSA on Facebook.

Corvair Society of America discussion, questions, feedback, ideas
paulsgt

CORSA on Facebook.

Post by paulsgt »

Until now, there was a Facebook group called "Corvair Society of America". This is an UN-official Facebook group. (not sure of it's owner). As of today, there is a Corvair Society of America Facebook page. Feel free to "Like" it and post to it. I have been on Facebook for quite some time but really don't do much but read. I've now waded into the waters of creating a "Page" and will work on it as time permits. Suggestions for content and postings are very much welcome.

Enjoy!
Paul Sergeant
Central Division Director / Treasurer CORSA

65 Monza Convertible (110/PG)
62 Monza Sedan (PG) 28,000 mile cloth seat, Oakland-built car.
61 Rampside Deluxe (P/G)
61 Pontiac Tempest Safari Wagon

CORSA since 1975, HACOA
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: CORSA on Facebook.

Post by bbodie52 »

So the Corvair Society of America Facebook page, with 1,348 members, is not affiliated with CORSA??? It has been present on Facebook for some time, and I suspect that most of the people who frequent that website Facebook group believe that it has some official tie to CORSA.

:link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/118663409016/

The above link leads to the Corvair Society of America Group I have been frequenting for quite a while. With the large following of 1,348 members, it has become the de facto CORSA Facebook group page, and I'm not sure that can be changed at this late date. I did a Facebook search for another Group by that name, using the term "Corvair" or the term "CORSA", but I did not find one. How are we supposed to find the "real" CORSA Facebook site? Can you provide a URL address?

:dontknow:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I received an invitation to "like" the CORSA Facebook page. Here is the link...

:link: https://www.facebook.com/Corvairsocietyofamerica
Brad Bodie
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

paulsgt wrote:Until now, there was a Facebook group called "Corvair Society of America". This is an UN-official Facebook group. (not sure of it's owner). As of today, there is a Corvair Society of America Facebook page. Feel free to "Like" it and post to it. I have been on Facebook for quite some time but really don't do much but read. I've now waded into the waters of creating a "Page" and will work on it as time permits. Suggestions for content and postings are very much welcome.

Enjoy!
Paul,
Sarah created it and is the page "owner"
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I'm not clear about which of these is more appropriate for CORSA. The original Corvair Society of America Facebook page is configured as a GROUP:
Facebook Groups

While Pages were designed to be the official profiles for entities, such as celebrities, brands or businesses, Facebook Groups are the place for small group communication and for people to share their common interests and express their opinion. Groups allow people to come together around a common cause, issue or activity to organize, express objectives, discuss issues, post photos and share related content.

When you create a group, you can decide whether to make it publicly available for anyone to join, require administrator approval for members to join or keep it private and by invitation only. Like with Pages, new posts by a group are included in the News Feeds of its members and members can interact and share with one another from the group.

Groups range widely, from members of a church group or athletic team organizing activities to serious topics on politics and world events or even more lighthearted themes.

Say that you and your friends have a favorite celebrity or cause you want to rally around, but you are not the official representative of either. You can either become a fan of the official Facebook page for the celebrity or cause and show your support there or create your own group on Facebook around the common interest.
:link: https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook ... 4706977130

The new Facebook page, created by Paul Sergeant, is configured as a conventional Facebook PAGE, instead of a GROUP:
Facebook Pages

Like a friend's profile, Facebook Pages enable public figures, businesses, organizations and other entities to create an authentic and public presence on Facebook. Unlike your profile, Facebook Pages are visible to everyone on the internet by default. You, and every person on Facebook, can connect with these Pages by becoming a fan and then receive their updates in your News Feed and interact with them.

Authenticity is at the core of Facebook. Just as profiles should represent real people and real names, so too should Pages for entities. Only the official representatives of a public figure, business or organization should create a Facebook Page.
It sounds like the GROUP that was created some time ago would meet the desire to allow many group members to share and interact as Corvair enthusiasts and as CORSA members, while the new CORSA PAGE on Facebook is something more of a single source stated profile and presence for CORSA, without the configuration that encourages an interaction between the numerous members of a Corvair Society of America GROUP. Both apparently can co-exist on Facebook, and the differences are subtle.

I'm not sure where this is headed with both pages existing on Facebook. :dontknow:
How are Pages different from groups? Which one should I create?

Pages allow real organizations, businesses, celebrities and brands to communicate broadly with people who like them. Pages may only be created and managed by official representatives.

Groups provide a closed space for small groups of people to communicate about shared interests. Groups can be created by anyone.

Other differences include:

Pages

Privacy: Page information and posts are public and generally available to everyone on Facebook.
Audience: Anyone can like a Page to connect with it and get News Feed updates. There is no limit to how many people can like a Page.
Communication: People who help manage a Page can share posts from the Page. Page posts can appear in the News Feeds of people who like the Page. Page owners can also create customized apps for their Page and check Page Insights to track the Page’s growth and activity.

Groups

Privacy: In addition to an open setting, more privacy settings are available for groups. In secret and closed groups, posts are only visible to group members.
Audience: You can adjust group privacy to require members to be approved or added by admins. When a group reaches a certain size, some features are limited. The most useful groups tend to be the ones you create with small groups of people you know.
Communication: In groups, members receive notifications by default when any member posts in the group. Group members can participate in chats, upload photos to shared albums, collaborate on group docs and invite members who are friends to group events.
:link: https://www.facebook.com/help/155275634539412
Brad Bodie
dagdal1967
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by dagdal1967 »

Ugh.. Another reason to dislike facebook.
Doug Gault
Fort Worth, Texas

- 2013 Cadillac ATS Premium
- 1964 Palomar Red Corvair 900 Monza Club Coupe
- 1961 Lincoln Continental

The Air Cooled Addiction Continues...
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost: I agree. I like facebook for a simple friends and family method of social exchange and interaction, but it is not structured very well for the type of information sharing we do here on the Corvair Forum. This type of forum is great for questions and answers, research, and communication. It is indexed and structured for storing and retrieving information, posting files and photographs, such as shop manuals and illustrations to support a question and answer environment. The search capability on the forum enhances the ability to locate information.

Facebook has none of that. It is a chronological presentation of information that is quickly lost with the passage of time. . Information cannot be cataloged and retrieved easily on Facebook. The kind of benefits we enjoy here with the Corvair Forum format are simply not available in the Facebook format. Even attempts by CORSA club chapters to make effective use of Facebook is very limited. Individual dedicated club chapter websites, if properly maintained, are far more informative for prospective CORSA members than a Facebook site can be.
Brad Bodie
paulsgt

Post by paulsgt »

Brad, I agree that Facebook is not necessarily the place for the kind of exchange that occurs here and on Corvair Center. I DO appreciate you posting the above explanation of "group" vs. "page". I hadn't seen that before. I am on facebook because my family and friends are scattered all around the country. Facebook is a convenient way to keep up with them. I have ulterior motive for putting the CORSA 'Page' out on Facebook. It was needed for a project I am working on that I'm not ready to announce yet. Stay tuned... :cool:
Paul Sergeant
Central Division Director / Treasurer CORSA

65 Monza Convertible (110/PG)
62 Monza Sedan (PG) 28,000 mile cloth seat, Oakland-built car.
61 Rampside Deluxe (P/G)
61 Pontiac Tempest Safari Wagon

CORSA since 1975, HACOA

Return to “Corvair Society of America discussion”