Chapters

Corvair Society of America discussion, questions, feedback, ideas
Corvair1

Chapters

Post by Corvair1 »

Hi fellows, I have a slight problem. I have posted several times asking for help on starting a Corsa chapter in Eastern Ontario but so far I haven't received any answers. I contacted Corsa 3 weeks ago and I still haven't received an answer. No wonder their are only 3 chapters in Canada. With this kind of support I really don't want one They want my membership fees but they don't listen. Sorry for venting but this is frustrating.
ImageImageImage
Herb (Corvair1)
Alexandria, Ontario
Canada
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Chapters

Post by bbodie52 »

I apologize for not researching this for you. I was glad to hear that you had decided to pursue this, and I had intended to look into it for you.

I looked all over the CORSA Web site, but this particular subject is not addressed there. Since the formation of a new CORSA chapter is not a frequent occurance, perhaps that is the reason it is not covered on the CORSA Web site. I would suggest contacting them directly at the following to get instructions and guidance directly hrom their headquarters...

Contact Us
Corvair Society of America (CORSA)
Executive & Editorial Offices
P.O. Box 607 • Lemont IL 60439-0607
630/403-5010 • fax 257-5540

http://www.corvair.org

CHANGE: I have located two documents that apply: The CORSA document that specifically addresses CORSA chapters, and the CORSA Bylaws. Both are posted below.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:imsorry: For what its worth, I did send an email this evening directly to Jason Cesana, CORSA President, in Manville, Rhode Island voicing frustrations with this process. Here is a copy of my comments to him...
Brad Bodie wrote:Using my contacts within the Corvair Forum (http://www.corvairforum.com), I have been working with many new Forum users and new Corvair enthusiasts to encourage them to search out and join local CORSA chapters. Recently a new Forum member in Ontario, Canada and I have been corresponding. I wanted to encourage him to seek out a local CORSA chapter, but unfortunately the nearest CORSA chapter to him is hundreds of miles away from his location in Alexandria, Ontario, Canada. This was surprising to me, since the major cities of Montreal and Ottawa are not far (60-70 miles) from him, yet the closest CORSA chapter is in Burlington, Ontario, 332 miles away! (I'm not counting the specialized Yenko Stinger Group in Oshawa, Ontario, which is still 260 miles from him). He indicates that he has a lot of local Corvair enthusiasts in his area, and would like to pursue forming an Eastern Canada CORSA chapter, but has been unable to get a response to his requests for information after reaching out to CORSA more than three weeks ago. I am trying to encourage his efforts, but he is getting quite frustrated. Can you provide some guidance that I can pass on to him, and perhaps a direct email or phone contact within CORSA who can assist and guide him in his efforts? Any help you can provide to help him to get things moving would be appreciated. Thank you.
I will let you know if I hear anything back from CORSA. :whoa: It is frustrating to actively promote CORSA membership, only to hear of "dead end" responses like you are experiencing. I always worry about enthusiastically encouraging new members of the Corvair Forum to seek out local CORSA chapters in their areas, when I don't personally know for sure what they will find if they make the effort. Not all chapters are equal, I'm sure, and when I see a one-page chapter Web site, or a Chapter Web site that is years out of date and has no current information, or when there is a Chapter personnel name and email mismatch between the info on the CORSA Chapter Locator and the actual Chapter Web site, I have my doubts about what the new, enthusiastic Corvair Forum member will find if he or she pursues my advice and actually tries to contact/join a local Chapter! Your experience with CORSA so far is also disconcerting, and begins to have me questioning why I bother with being a member of CORSA. Corvair owners and enthusiasts need a support system like CORSA, Clark's Corvair Parts, The Corvair Forum, etc. to help us to keep our Corvairs going. Without this active support infrastructure I'm afraid a lot of Corvairs would end up in the scrap yards! I hope that CORSA will respond and will actively help to get things moving for you in Ontario! :tu:

:BradBodie:
Brad Bodie
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I have attached a copy of the CORSA Chapter Plan that I located and downloaded from the CORSA Web site. It is a Microsoft Word document. I have transcribed the content of the document here, just in case you do not have the software on your PC to read the original document.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CORSA Letterhead.jpg
Operating Policy
Approved: 7/26/11
Title: CORSA Chapter Plan
Section I. Purpose and Provisions

The CORSA Chapter Plan is the basis for coordination and mutual support between CORSA and local and regional Corvair organizations. Corvair clubs, by becoming Chartered Chapters through the provisions of the Plan, are given the benefits of standards, service, cooperation and communication nationwide and internationally, while retaining the independence and individuality necessary to serve a local membership.
The provisions of the Chapter Plan define what the local organizations must do to obtain and retain Chartered Chapter status, and what CORSA will provide for Chapters so chartered. Organizations that are formed because of a common interest in a feature or particular model of Corvairs shall be called Special Interest Groups. These groups need not have a geographic base; their members can span the world.
Section II. Qualifications for Granting New Chapter Status
To become a Chartered Chapter of CORSA, a local group of CORSA members must make application for Chapter status to the CORSA Executive Secretary. This application must include:
1. The names and addresses of all the members of the proposed Chapter. The membership list must include at least ten CORSA members and the CORSA members must account for at least half of the total members of the proposed chapter. In Alaska, Hawaii, and foreign countries other than Canada, this minimum requirement is three. Sparsely populated areas may use the minimum requirement of three CORSA members with board approval.
2. The names of club officers for the proposed Chapter. A majority of the proposed Chapter’s executive officers (president, vice-president, et al.) must be CORSA members.
3. A copy of a constitution, or articles of incorporation and by-laws for the proposed Chapter.
4. A name for the proposed Chapter, which shall not duplicate that of any CORSA Chapter listed in the most recent published list.
5. A sample newsletter of the proposed chapter, if one is published.
6. Time and location for regular meetings of the proposed Chapter.
The proposed meeting location shall be a minimum of 75 miles by the shortest surface route from the meeting place of the nearest CORSA Chapter. If this distance is shorter than 75 miles, written approval from the presidents of the two nearest CORSA Chapters shall be included with the application. If these approvals are not included, the four Directors in that Division and the Chairman of the Chapter Plan Committee shall rule by majority vote of a quorum of three or more. This requirement will not apply to Special Interest Groups.
Section III. Granting of Chapter Status
When an application for a new Chapter is received, the CORSA Executive Secretary shall notify the Chapter Plan Chairman and the Directors in that Division and a 30-day comment period will commence. Should questions or objections be raised within that 30-day period, such issues must be resolved to the satisfaction of the above-named CORSA officers and representatives prior to Chapter status being granted. When all qualifications for Chapter Status have been met and any issues have been resolved, or when all qualifications for Chapter Status have been met and the 30-day comment period has passed without unresolved questions or objections, the CORSA Executive Secretary shall notify the new Chapter in a timely manner via conventional mail that Chapter status has been granted, and shall add the new Chapter’s name to all Chapter listings.
Special Interest Groups shall have the same requirements as Chapters to obtain their charter. Additionally, their application must be approved by the CORSA Board of Directors.
Section IV. Maintenance of Chapter Status
To indicate that Charter requirements continue to be met, a Chartered Chapter shall file with the Executive Secretary, by March 1st of each calendar year, a Chapter membership roster including CORSA and non-CORSA members, a list of Chapter officers, name and address of the CORSA contact person, a current website address, if applicable, and time and location of meetings. If there is no response, CORSA would have to consider the chapter as inactive. A follow-up will be done and the chapter removed from the chapter list if a chapter report is not received. CORSA board directors will contact chapters if necessary.
A Chartered Chapter shall endeavor to maintain 100% of its membership as CORSA members. All Chapters must maintain the CORSA membership requirements of Section II, items 1 and 2.
CORSA Chapters shall be required to collect a $3.00 non CORSA affiliation fee for each non-CORSA member and the chapter will be required to submit payment of fees with the annual chapter report.
The fee will be waived for those Chapters that maintained 100% of their members as CORSA members as reported on their annual Chapter Report.
A Chartered Chapter shall include the editor of the CORSA Communique on its mailing list, and shall offer to maintain a newsletter exchange with neighboring and other Chapters.
Chartered Chapters shall be active organizations that must meet at least annually. To be considered an active organization, a Chartered Chapter must satisfy at least one of the following conditions:
1. It must publish a newsletter for its members at least four times a year.
-or-
2. It must have at least four meetings annually of at least 25% of its members.
Chartered Special Interest Groups shall have the same requirements as Chapters to maintain their status.
Section V. Benefits to Chapters
CORSA shall provide to its Chartered Chapters:
1. Channels for communication of Chapter information via the CORSA Communique.
2. Sanction and support for certain regional events sponsored by Chapters.
3. Liability insurance to United States Chapters.
4. Discounts on Chapter purchases of CORSA merchandise in quantity.
5. Availability of lists of CORSA members with contact information residing in the Chapter's area, for membership recruitment and event announcement purposes, only.
6. Administrative guidance information to help in the organization and running of the Chapter.
7. Standards for conduct and judging of competitive events.
8. Encouragement to CORSA members to join Chapters in their area.
9. Chartered Special Interest Groups will get priority in scheduling meeting space and time at CORSA’s annual convention.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CORSA Chapter Plan Policy.doc
CORSA Chapter Plan Policy
(33 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Brad Bodie
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Here is a copy of the CORSA Bylaws, also downloaded from the CORSA Web site. It is a Microsoft word document, and I have transcribed the content, as well as attaching the original document.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corvair Society of America, Inc.
(An Illinois Not-For-Profit Corporation)

By-Laws
Article I: Name, Emblem, and Location
Section 1: Name

The name of the Society will be Corvair Society of America, Inc. The Society is incorporated under the general Not-For-Profit Corporation Act of the State of Illinois. The only authorized contraction of the name for this Society shall be the acronym “CORSA.”
Section 2: Emblem
The Society emblem will be a red-bordered white oval, long axis vertical, bearing a blue Monza crest superimposed with the word “CORSA” in red traditional script. This pattern will be underscribed within the oval with the words “Corvair Society of America” in blue letters.
Section 3: Location
The principal business office of the Society will be at such place as may be designated by the Board of Directors of the Society. The address of the business office, and the Board of Directors, will be printed in each issue of the periodic publication of the Society.
Article II: Purpose and Objectives
Section 1: Purpose

The purpose of the Society is to provide an organization which satisfies the common needs of individuals interested in the operation, preservation, restoration, and enjoyment of the Corvair automobile and its derivatives.
Section 2: Objectives
Objectives of the Society are to aid and encourage the ownership, preservation and enjoyment of all Corvair vehicles by:
1) Providing a periodic publication to keep Society members informed of technical, historical and social activities, and information related to the Corvair automobile and to the Society.
2) Promoting local, regional and national social events.
3) Providing organizational and guidance material for chapters of the Society.
4) Providing standards for conducting participative and competitive events.
5) Encouraging the availability of Corvair parts.
6) Providing items of memorabilia to Society members.
Section 3: Commercial Endorsements
The name Corvair Society of America Inc. or acronym CORSA, its chapters, or its members will not promote a commercial enterprise in a manner implying CORSA’s sponsorship or endorsement. However, CORSA may form affiliations with commercial enterprises to increase member benefits, promote membership recruitment, or increase revenue with the express written permission of the CORSA Board of Directors.
Article III: Definition
Section 1: Non-profit Status

The Society will operate on a not-for-profit basis. It will not affiliate with, nor be associated with, any organization other than chapters of the Society and the Corvair Preservation Foundation without the express written permission from the CORSA Board of Directors.
Section 2: Property
Society property will be limited to the necessary facilities to execute the responsibilities of membership services, and to the insignias and memorabilia items maintained for distribution or display to the membership.
Article IV: Membership
Section 1: Classes of Membership

Membership of the Society will consist of regular members, life members, and honorary members and other /special memberships as described next.
Section 1.1: Regular Membership
Granted to any person submitting a properly executed application for membership upon payment of appropriate dues.
Section 1.2: Life Membership
Granted to any person submitting a properly executed application for life membership and upon payment of appropriate dues.
Section 1.3: Honorary Membership
Granted to a person who is distinguished for contributions to the Corvair marque or its furtherance. Candidates for honorary membership are granted honorary membership status by unanimous vote of the Board of Directors. Honorary members will not hold office nor have voting privileges, but will have all other benefits of membership in the Society.
Section 1.4: Other / Special Memberships
All Granted to any person submitting a properly executed application for membership and upon payment of appropriate dues. Other / Special Membership(s)may or may not be granted regular membership privileges and or benefits, however, the specific details of these membership classification(s) will be promulgated through the development of specific CORSA policies respectively, which are then approved by the majority of the Board of Directors.

Section 2: Termination of Membership
All rights and privileges of members of the Society will cease as of the date of resignation, expulsion, or expiration of dues.
Section 2.1: Resignation
Any member may resign at any time by submitting a written statement of resignation to the Executive Secretary of the Society. No refund of dues will be made for the remainder of the membership period.
Section 2.2: Expulsion
Any member may be expelled for conduct or activities detrimental to the Society. Expulsion will be determined by two-thirds vote of the Board of Directors after review and hearing of circumstances leading to this consideration.
The member in question will be notified of the impending action by certified mail not less than thirty days prior to the hearing. The notice will contain a concise statement of charges. The statement of charges will be prepared by the Society Secretary at the direction of a majority of Board members. The member then has twenty days from receipt of charges to file with the Society Secretary a written rebuttal. That rebuttal will be duplicated and distributed with a ballot, within twenty days, to each member of the Board of Directors. The Board Secretary will tally the ballots and inform the President of the results. The President will inform the member of the decision of the Board of Directors.
Section 2.3: Non-Payment of Dues
Although rights and privileges of the Society terminate upon expiration of dues, the listing of a member on the rolls of the Society will terminate thirty days after the date of normal membership renewal. The Executive Secretary will be responsible for notifying by mail, approximately thirty days in advance of renewal date, those members whose dues must be renewed to maintain membership in the Society.
Article V: Dues and Assessments
Section 1: Dues

The annual dues for all classes of membership in CORSA, and the one-time fee for life membership, shall be fixed by the Board of Directors. The dues structure of the Society will be defined in an operating policy. Any changes in dues will be announced in the periodic publication of the Society at least ninety days before the change will take effect.
Section 2: Assessments
There will be no special assessments.
Article VI: Divisions, Regions, and Chapters
Section 1: Divisions

Members of the Society will be divided into three Divisions, named the Western, Central, and Eastern Divisions.
The Western Division will consist of members in the states of Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Alaska, Hawaii, the Canadian provinces of Alberta, British Columbia, Northwest Territory, Yukon, the Baja California portion of Mexico, and the continents of Asia and Australia.
The Central Division will consist of members in the states of Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, the Canadian provinces of Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, the Central and South American countries, and Mexico other than Baja California.
The Eastern Division will consist of members in the states of Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, District of Columbia, the Canadian provinces of Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Iceland, and the territories of Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Caribbean Islands, and the continents of Greenland, Europe, and Africa.
Section 2: Chapters
Organizational requirements of a group forming a local chapter, the responsibilities of the Society in this relationship, and benefits to the chapter will be defined in an operating policy of the Society called the Chapter Plan. Groups of Society members who meet the geographic and membership requirements of the Society Chapter Plan will be chartered as a chapter of the Society. The Chapter Plan may specify a fee to cover the administration services and benefits afforded to its chapters. Any changes to the fee will be announced in the periodic publication of the Society at least ninety days before the change will take effect.
Section 3: Regions
A region may be formed within a division by cooperative action of chapters chartered within that division. Such regional organization will be consistent with the objectives of the Society Chapter Plan. No formal organization is required or implied at the regional level.
Article VII: Board of Directors
Section 1: Number of Directors

The Society will be governed by a Board of twelve elected Directors. Each of the three geographic divisions will elect, by plurality vote, four Directors from its membership. The immediate Past President, if no longer a member of the Board, will serve as a non-voting advisor.
Section 2: Term of Office
Director's terms will be three years. Terms start upon written notice from the Election Chair as stipulated in Section 3 below. Such notice will be mailed a minimum of thirty days before the annual Board meeting. Directors, except officers, terms end upon written notice, mailed concurrently with notice to electees and non-elected candidates.
Officers (Pres., V.P., Treas., Secy.) terms will end at the conclusion of the old business portion of the annual Directors meeting. Upon conclusion of old business, conducted by the old officers, the first order of new business by the new Board will be the election of new officers from its ranks. The past-President advisor's term will be for one year, terminating with written notification along with outgoing Directors.
Directors’ terms will be uniformly staggered. Each year two Directors will be elected in one of the Divisions, in rotation, and one will be elected in each of the other two Divisions. This procedure results in a total of four Directors being elected each year. No Director will serve more than three contiguous three year terms. If appointed to fill an incomplete term, a Director will not serve more than a total of eleven years.
Section 3: Election Procedure for Directors
A nominating committee will enlist candidates from the membership for election to the position of Director. Names, pictures, and credentials of candidates will be listed in the Society publication at least two months prior to the ballot deadline, along with a self-addressed ballot and instructions for its return. The CORSA Secretary will be the Election Chair and shall oversee the mechanics of the election. In the event that the CORSA Secretary is a candidate, the CORSA President shall appoint one of the Board of Directors who is not a candidate as the Election Chair to oversee the election. Votes received before the ballot deadline will be tallied by this election official. The results are to be forwarded to the editor of the monthly publication for appearance in the soonest possible issue. Results will be disclosed to all candidates in writing as soon as possible, but in no case beyond the limit in Section 2 above.
Section 4: Duties of Directors
The Board of Directors will have general management authority over the affairs, funds, and holdings of the Society. The Directors will be responsible for approving the budget and will maintain surveillance over the activities of committees, Divisions, and chapters. The Board is empowered to perform any other essential duties of the Society that are not specifically defined in these By-Laws.
Section 5: Election of Officers
The Board of Directors, at its annual meeting, or by mail, will elect by plurality vote from among the Board, a President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer. The nominee for President will have served at least nine months as a Director prior to election as President. Officers will be elected to serve one-year terms.
Section 6: Executive Committee
The Executive Committee will consist of the President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer. The past-President will serve as advisor to the Executive Committee. The Executive Committee will have management authority for day-to-day operational matters of the Society, and will have full authority in matters relating to an emergency. In all matters where immediacy is not a primary concern, the Executive Committee will advise the Board of pending decisions, to permit Board members to make their views known to the Executive Committee. The Board will be informed of all determinations and actions of the Executive Committee.
Section 7: Policies and Regulations
The Board of Directors is empowered to promulgate and enforce policies, procedures, and regulations governing any activity conducted under the specific or implied sponsorship of the Society.
Section 8: Vacancies
All vacancies on the Board of Directors caused by death, resignation, expulsion, or disability of a Director, will be filled by appointment for the remainder of the term by the Society President, with majority concurrence of the remaining Directors.
Section 9: Fees and Compensation
Elected Directors and appointed committee chairmen receive no compensation for their services, but may receive reimbursement for actual documented expenses, as fixed by policy of the Board. All expense reimbursement will be governed by an operating policy of the Society.
Section 10: Meetings
The Board of Directors will hold a minimum of one annual meeting for the transaction of Society business. That meeting will be conducted during or before the annual convention of the Society. Other meetings of the Board may be called by the President, or a majority of the Directors, with a minimum of thirty days notice in writing to all Directors. A semi-annual meeting of the Executive Committee may be called with prior approval of the Board of Directors.
Section 11: Quorum of Board and Voting
The presence of seven or more Directors, at least two of whom are officers of the Society, will constitute a quorum for transaction of Society business at a meeting of the Board of Directors. A majority vote of the quorum is required to pass any resolution except revision of the By-Laws. See Article XV.
At the call of the President or Vice-President, specific individual emergency issues may be resolved by telephone vote of a majority of a legal quorum after attempting to contact all Board members. Record of such transaction will be filed by the Society's Secretary.
Ballots mailed to the Directors, and tallied by the Secretary, will be the method of transaction of Society business between Board meetings. Response on the ballot of two or more Directors to table a motion for further discussion shall cause the initial ballot on that matter to be tabled until the matter is discussed and the ballot revised or reinstituted. The second ballot on an issue shall not be tabled.
Section 12: Expulsion
Members of the Board will maintain unbroken membership in the Society. Lapse of membership in the Society terminates the term of office of that Board member, and initiates the President's responsibility to appoint a member to fill the vacated post as described in Article VII, Section 8.
A member of the Board of Directors may be expelled at any time if said Director fails to vote as required, answer Board of Directors correspondence, or to perform other Society duties assigned to his position. Expulsion from the Board of Directors requires two-thirds vote of the Board, each vote to be accompanied by a written statement giving the reason of that member for so voting.
Section 13: Conflict of Interest
No member of the Board of Directors shall engage in commercialization of Corvair-related materials that would create a real or apparent conflict of interest with his service on the Board, nor in any way interfere with his full performance of duties as a member of the Board. Board members engaged in profit-making activities related to the Corvair shall abstain from voting on issues that impact the activity in which that Director is involved. At the request of the President, such Directors may be requested to absent themselves from a Directors' meeting during the time such issues are under discussion.
Article VIII: Officers
Section 1: Officers

The officers of the Society will consist of President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer. This group of officers will be known as the Executive Committee.
Section 1.1: President
The President will preside at all meetings of the Board of Directors and the general membership meetings. He will appoint all committee chairmen, and such other appointive posts as may be deemed appropriate by the Board of Directors. The President will not have the right to vote at a meeting of the Board of Directors except that he may vote: (a) in the event of a tie vote, (b) on a motion to amend the By-Laws, or (c) at an election of officers. The President will be the sole point of contact for direction of the business office and Executive Secretary. The President is empowered to negotiate and sign the contract for these services after all terms of the contract have been distributed to the Board of Directors sixty days in advance of signing, and a majority of Directors have voted to authorize the negotiating conditions.
Section 1.2: Vice-President
The Vice-President will perform the duties of the President in the absence of the President. When so acting, the Vice-President will have the powers of, and will be subject to the restrictions of the President.
Section 1.3: Secretary
In addition to recording and publishing minutes of the meetings of the Board of Directors, and general membership meetings, the Secretary will be the trustee of Society records and shall ensure that official records of the Society are properly maintained at Society headquarters. The Secretary may delegate recording of minutes to an appointed assistant with consent of the President. The Secretary will have responsibility for the location of the Society seal.
Section 1.4: Treasurer
The Treasurer will keep accounts and have direction of the funds of the Society. He will annually audit the records of the business office, and shall prepare a report for the Board of Directors. In conjunction with the business office, the Treasurer will prepare the annual budget and submit it for approval of the Board of Directors. The Treasurer will sign all checks, drafts, or orders. Alternatively, he may designate, with consent of the President, a person(s) in the business office who has given bond at Society expense to sign checks, receive and deposit funds, and deposit surplus funds at interest. That person(s) will keep a correct record of all receipts and disbursements with substantiating documents to provide a full and accurate record of the fiscal status of the Society. That report will be made available to the Directors monthly. Interim and final reports shall be submitted to the Executive Committee and Board meeting respectively. All persons handling funds of the Society will give bond at Society expense.
Section 1.5: Succession
A vacancy in the office of President will be filled in order of succession from Vice-President, Secretary, or Treasurer. Successors will serve out the term of the President, and will retain the right to be elected to the Presidency in the following term. In such cases, the post of Vice-President will remain vacant. Other vacancies will be filled by presidential appointment until the next election.
Article IX: Executive Secretary and Business Office
Section 1: Executive Secretary

The administrative post of Executive Secretary may be contracted by the Board of Directors as a paid function or may be a volunteer function to carry out the office duties of membership records, dues collection, routine mailings, sales of Society memorabilia, and the like. The business office of the Society may come under the direction of the Executive Secretary. In addition, the Executive Secretary may, at the direction of the President, assume certain responsibilities related to the administration of the annual convention and meeting of the Society. These duties include, but are not limited to, coordination with the hotel or housing facilities, publicity, administration of registration, arrangements for the annual membership and Board of Directors meetings, provisions of space as agreed with the hosting chapter for events, and such other related activities as may be agreed between the Executive Secretary, the hosting chapter, and the President, and which are documented in an operating practice.
Section 2: Executive Editor
The administrative post of Executive Editor may be contracted by the Board of Directors as a paid function or may be a volunteer function to carry out the duties of publishing the publications of the Society.
Section 3: Remuneration
The Executive Secretary and Executive Editor will receive such remuneration as is negotiated with the President under instructions of the Board of Directors.
Section 4: Business Office
The business office of the Society may be operated under the direction of the Executive Secretary as part of the contracted function. Alternatively, the business office may be operated as a volunteer function of the Society.
The business office will handle all routine membership development, correspondence, membership administration, publications production and distribution, advertisement, and like matters. Financial matters relating to members' dues, or other income/expense matters, will be documented for annual audit by the Treasurer.
Article X: Annual Meeting
Section 1: Location

The Society will conduct an annual meeting and convention for the membership. The annual meeting may be rotated in location in sequence among the Eastern, Central, and Western Divisions, unless exceptions are voted by the Board of Directors. The city selected for the annual meeting will be determined by bid from the potential host chapter which submits a proposal accepted by the Board of Directors. Bids should be submitted at least eighteen months in advance of the meeting. The Board of Directors and Executive Secretary will work to advance this decision process with an objective of have sites selected and announced to the membership two years in advance of the meetings.
Section 2: Annual Convention Program
The annual convention will consist of an event program containing the annual membership meeting, a Concours d'Elegance, at least one other competitive event, technical or general interest sessions, commercial vendor displays, a Board of Directors meeting, and an awards banquet. Other events may be scheduled at the discretion of the hosting chapter.
Article XI: Policies, Procedures, Rules of Order
Section 1: Policies, Procedures, Job Descriptions

The Society will operate under documented policies, procedures, and job descriptions. Copies will be available to officers, candidates for office, and to the membership when requested.
Section 1.1: Policies
Operating policies of the Society will be approved by the Board of Directors, and will become operative upon signature of the President and Secretary. Policies will be originated and maintained by committees responsible for the subject of the policy. A current reproducible copy of all policies will be kept on file in the business office for distribution on request, and with the Society Secretary for record purposes.
Section 1.2: Procedures
Operating procedures of the Society will be approved by the Board of Directors, and will become operative upon signature of the President and Secretary. Procedures may be originated by any person involved in the subject of the procedure, or by committees responsible for the subject of the procedure. A current reproducible copy of all procedures will be kept on file in the business office for distribution on request, and with the Society Secretary for record purposes.
Section 1.3: Job Descriptions
Job descriptions for all elected and appointed posts will be approved by the Board of Directors and become operative upon authorizing signatures.
Section 2: Rules of Order
“Robert’s Rules of Order, Revised” will be used in the conduct of Society business in all cases where applicable, and the subject is not otherwise covered in the By-Laws, policies, or procedures of the Society.
Section 3: Proxy Voting
Proxy voting is prohibited in membership voting. A Director may delegate another Director as his proxy at a Board meeting he cannot attend.
Article XII: Committees
Section 1: Standing Committees

Standing committees will provide Society management in areas of principal interest of the membership. With exception of the Executive Committee, standing committee chairmen are appointed by the President, and serve up to two year terms without reconfirmation. Through selective appointments of committee chairmen, the President will ensure responsive leadership of Society affairs. With approval of a Board majority, the President will remove any committee chairman not fulfilling requirements of the position. Committee chairmen will have access to membership directory and communication services provided by the Executive Secretary.
Section 1.1: Executive Committee
The Executive Committee membership and duties will be as described in Article VII, Section 6.
Section 1.2: Concours Rules and Judging Standards Committee
The Concours Rules Committee will be responsible for originating and publishing the CORSA Concours Rules. The committee will perform an annual review and update as necessary, and will obtain Board approval for all revisions implemented. These rules will establish the policy for Concours classes, and other matters pertaining to standardized conduct of CORSA Concours d'Elegance. The Chairman of the committee will recruit such other assistants as deemed necessary.
The Concours Committee will also be responsible for originating, maintaining, and publishing standardized and definitive judging criteria and classification instructions for CORSA Concours. Changes in the rules must be published in the Society's monthly publication. The Concours d'Elegance rules used at the annual convention must be available to competitors at least four months before that convention.
These rules and guidelines will establish specific details of quality and "turnout" that determine point allocations, and will define the methodology of judging these qualities.
Section 1.3: Competition Committee
The Competition Committee will generate and secure approval of the Board of Directors for written rules or policies pertaining to the use of Corvairs in rallies, racing, slaloms, gymkhanas, or other events involving competition in motion. The committee will also establish, and obtain Board approval for, written practices pertaining to events of this type. The chairman of the committee will recruit other assistants as necessary.
Changes in the rules must be published in the Society’s monthly publication. The current rules or policies used at the annual convention must be available to competitors at least four months before that convention.
Section 1.4: Parts, Service, Vendor Relation Committee
The Part, Service, Vendor Relation Committee will list in the periodic publication a roster of currently recognized reputable organizations providing Corvair parts and services. The committee will annually obtain from these organizations a statement of their services and qualifications. Before listing such organizations, the committee will consider the recommendation of an officer of the chapter nearest the facility to be listed. The committee will be the final authority when, at any time, they elect to add or delete such listing.
In addition, the committee will publish for the general membership a list of known and acceptable vendors of Corvair parts and related accessories and materials. This list will be based on each vendor's response to annual inquiry and will be updated at least annually. The committee will encourage the reproduction and distribution of Corvair parts, but will not allow in any form either a direct or implied endorsement for any specific part, service or vendor. The committee will, in addition, cultivate and maintain liaison with General Motors, and with the community of Corvair parts vendors worldwide.
The committee will receive and maintain files of member complaints regarding inadequate or unlawful practices on the part of persons doing business as Corvair parts or service vendors. The committee will act on behalf of the Society to assist members in seeking just resolution to legitimate complaints. The committee may provide information on the use of public agencies to assist in dealing with complaints.
Purposes of these activities include the stimulation of practical parts reproduction, enhancement of parts availability to the membership, and the general dissemination or knowledge of parts availability and substitution.
Section 1.5: Technical Committee
The Technical Committee will provide a central source of information for members needing assistance with technical matters. The committee will respond to individual member requests for information, and will submit to the periodic publication a summary of those questions and answers having potentially broad interest. The committee will maintain a file of answers so developed, and will periodically publish a summary which consolidates these data in a Society publication.
Section 1.6 Nominating Committee
The Nominating Committee will consist of five members appointed by the President in accordance with current policies and procedures. The committee will place notice in the Society publication requesting nominations, and will prepare a slate of nominees for openings on the Board of Directors.
Section 1.7: Chapter Plan Committee
The Chapter Plan Committee will maintain the Society plan by which chapters are granted charter status, and by which the relationship between chapters and the Society is determined. The committee will provide guidance material to assist chapters in their operation.
Section 1.8: Other Standing Committees
The President may constitute committees, and appoint committee chairmen, for purposes deemed to be in the best interests of the Society. With a general statement of purposes from the President, the committee chairman will immediately execute committee functions and prepare written policies, procedures, and job descriptions to govern committee conduct.
Section 2: Ad Hoc Committees
The President will appoint committees as necessary to transact the affairs of the Society. These committees will be dissolved upon completion of the task specified in writing at the time of formation of the committee.
Section 3: Committee Chairmen
The chairmen of all committees will submit reports to the President for any mid-year Executive Committee meetings, and for the annual Board of Directors meeting. Committee chairmen will receive no compensation for their services, but may receive reimbursement for documented expenses as set forth in the Society expense reimbursement policy.
Article XIII Legal Counsel
Legal Counsel will be retained by the Executive Committee with consent of the Board of Directors in those instances where such services are desirable. Legal counsel may be present at meetings and functions of the Society by mutual agreement of the Executive Committee and counsel.
Article XIV: Society Publications
Section 1: Periodic Publications

The Society will have a regularly published magazine entitled CORSA Communique. Contents and format will come under the editorial policy of the Society.
Section 2: Chapter Guidelines
The Society will publish and periodically update a printed pamphlet of instructions to assist chapters of the Society in their original formation, and in the conduct of their ongoing affairs. Such publication will be available through the business office.
Section 3: Concours Rules
The Society will publish a set of Concours Rules and judging forms that govern Concours policy. In addition, a judging practices manual will be maintained. These policies and practices will be available to CORSA members through the business office.
Section 4: Competition Rules
The Society will publish sets of rules governing the conduct of competition events involving all events with cars in motion. Judging practices and guidelines for the conduct of such events will be available to CORSA members through the business office.
Section 5: Additional Publications
The Society may publish such other documents as deemed by the Board of Directors to be in the interests of the Society.
Article XV: Amendments
These By-Laws may be amended using the following procedure: The proposed changes must be presented in writing to the CORSA Board of Directors and a motion to present the changes to the general membership must be passed by a majority of the Board. Then a motion to accept the proposed changes must be passed by two-thirds of those members present at any general membership meeting, or two-thirds of members voting by mail ballot, providing written notification of proposed amendments has been published in the Society monthly publication at least thirty days before the ballot or the general membership meeting.
Article XVI: Action by Executive Committee Without Meeting
Any required action, or action permitted by the CORSA Articles of Incorporation, or these By-Laws, to be taken by the Executive Committee, may be taken without a meeting, providing all members of the committee consent to such an action in writing. Such written consent will be filed by the Secretary with the minutes of the proceedings of the committee. Action by written consent will have the same force and effect as an unanimous vote of the committee members.
Article XVII: Dissolution
The Society may be dissolved by a majority vote of the membership thereof. In the event of dissolution, any assets remaining after payment of debts, and the fulfillment of legal requirements, will be distributed according to the provisions of the Articles of Incorporation at time of dissolution. Such distribution will be to a non-profit fund, foundation or corporations which is organized and operated exclusively for charitable purposes as stated in the Articles of incorporation.
Article XVIII: Miscellaneous
Section 1: Miscellaneous

The fiscal year of the Society will begin on January first and will end on December thirty-first.
Section 2: Quorum at Membership Meetings
A quorum at the general membership meeting for the transaction of business will consist of those members present.
CORSA Bylaws.doc
CORSA Bylaws
(79.5 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Brad Bodie
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

We have been giving CORSA some "bad press" today because of the difficulty you have been having with getting information from CORSA to help you to form a new CORSA chapter. The CORSA president, Jason Cesana, responded to my request for assistance in this matter within hours (actually only 21 minutes), which appears to be a good sign! I have forwarded his personal email address to you and to Scott Howey via Corvair Forum Private Message. Please contact him directly via his personal email and let us know how things go. The CORSA Chapter document I posted earlier, CORSA Chapter Plan, should also provide you with some good info. Good luck!
::-): :tu: :BradBodie:
ImageWHO IS JASON CESANA?
Imagehttp://www.facebook.com/jason.cesana

For your information, he is the current president of CORSA and a Systems Technician who works with Fire Alarms, Burglar Alarms and CCTV Card Access in Warwick, Rhode Island. He and his family live in Manville, Rhode Island. Caveman Corvair owners should be pleased with his choice of Corvairs! ::-):

CORSA OFFICERS
http://corvair.org/index.php?option=com ... Itemid=105
Subject: Chapters
Corvair1 wrote:Hi fellows, I have a slight problem. I have posted several times asking for help on starting a Corsa chapter in Eastern Ontario but so far I haven't received any answers. I contacted Corsa 3 weeks ago and I still haven't received an answer. No wonder their are only 3 chapters in Canada. With this kind of support I really don't want one They want my membership fees but they don't listen. Sorry for venting but this is frustrating.
I received the following response from the CORSA president within a few hours after I requested assistance from him to help you with forming a new CORSA chapter. Hopefully this is a good sign! This, coupled with the CORSA organizational and Chapter info I posted on the Corvair Forum should help you to get things moving. Please contact Jason Cesana directly using his personal email address shown below.

Brad L. Bodie
Lake Chatuge
Hayesville, North Carolina 28904-6213

> Subject: Re: CORSA: New CORSA Chapter Formation - Eastern Ontario, Canada
> From: Jason Cesana
> Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 20:32:12 -0500
> To: Brad Bodie
>
> I can tell you that I have not seen any requests for chapter information. Please forward him my email and I will get him the information to form a new chapter.
>
> Jason Cesana
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Feb 25, 2013, at 8:11 PM, Corvair Society of America <do-not-reply@corvair.org> wrote:
>
> > This is an enquiry email via http://www.corvair.org/" from:
> > Brad Bodie
> >
> > Using my contacts within the Corvair Forum (http://www.corvairforum.com), I have been working with many new Forum users and new Corvair enthusiasts to encourage them to search out and join local CORSA chapters. Recently a new Forum member in Ontario, Canada and I have been corresponding. I wanted to encourage him to seek out a local CORSA chapter, but unfortunately the nearest CORSA chapter to him is hundreds of miles away from his location in Alexandria, Ontario, Canada. This was surprising to me, since the major cities of Montreal and Ottawa are not far (60-70 miles) from him, yet the closest CORSA chapter is in Burlington, Ontario, 332 miles away! (I'm not counting the specialized Yenko Stinger Group in Oshawa, Ontario, which is still 260 miles from him). He indicates that he has a lot of local Corvair enthusiasts in his area, and would like to pursue forming an Eastern Canada CORSA chapter, but has been unable to get a response to his requests for information after reaching out to CORSA more than three weeks ago. I am trying to encourage his efforts, but he is getting quite frustrated. Can you provide some guidance that I can pass on to him, and perhaps a direct email or phone contact within CORSA who can assist and guide him in his efforts? Any help you can provide to help him to get things moving would be appreciated. Thank you.
> >
Brad Bodie
Ragtop Man

Post by Ragtop Man »

I could see how someone might fall through the cracks from time to time but his response seems rather apathetic to me . It seems he would also want to address why this persons requests went unnoticed but after reading what Scott has experienced it sounds like more of a pervasive and ongoing problem . It is unreassuring to hear all of this but I have to say that my local chapter New Orleans Corvair Enthusiasts stays very active and I receive some kind of an email from the president weekly so I guess it's still worth it to have Corsa. It just seems less effective anymore due to the internet . When I had my first two Vairs there was no internet but it's so much better being an amateur and having the access to so much info and help nowadays . I was just on the phone with Marty out in Vegas the other day with an issue . Had it not been for Crazy George of the north giving me his info a while back through this forum I never would have heard of the guy . I'm not bashing Corsa here though . I know they have the museum and are here to preserve the Corvair but I think there are enough people out there who love these cars that they'll be preserved anyway . Herb , why not just start by putting together a Yahoo group or facebook page if you don't get anywhere with Corsa ? I'm a member of a very small hang gliding group located out of Memphis that did just this and it's a great way to stay in touch . Only thing is you wouldn't really have any way to find other Vair owners except through sites like this one .
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The former vice president of CORSA, Jason Cesana took over as president in September 2012.

I don't think I would be too quick to judge the president of CORSA. He was getting this information secondhand from me, and wants to communicate directly with the person who wants to start a new CORSA chapter in Ontario. That makes sense, and the fact that he responded to me by message from his phone within 20 min. of my message to him from the CORSA website is, I believe, a good indication of his desire to be of assistance and to get right on this. I have no idea who it was within CORSA who received the original inquiry, or who "dropped the ball" by not responding to the initial request for chapter information. The CORSA president may very-well look into this further to try to eliminate future bureaucratic or administrative problems, such as the one that occurred here. I personally have not had frequent opportunities to try to communicate with CORSA, but in the two or three instances that I did send messages to CORSA I can report that I did receive fast and helpful responses.

Over the past year, since the time that I joined CORSA last spring, I have read a number of editorials in issues of the CORSA Communiqué that have indicated that CORSA has indeed been having some internal difficulties and discussions regarding costs, magazine publication and distribution, and possibly with maintaining good activity levels within all of the CORSA chapters. CORSA is an all volunteer organization, and the degree of involvement and active participation would be expected to vary from place to place. Active use of the Internet for modern information exchange has certainly had an impact on CORSA.

Below are a couple of extracts that I pulled from 2012 issues of the CORSA Communiqué. The two articles were written by former CORSA president Jamie Reinhart, who stepped down as president in August of last year. The first extract provides some useful information regarding CORSA chapters. The second extract is somewhat revealing, in that it provides some insight as to some of the internal issues that CORSA is trying to deal with. Jamie Reinhardt utilized his final editorial comment to "unload" some of his personal opinions and ideas regarding issues that CORSA is confronted with.
Jamie Reinhart, former CORSA President wrote:RULES?

From CORSA Communiqué, May 2012, Volume 34, No.4, pp. 2-3
Now we will look at some of the Chapter Plan Policy. To become a Chartered Chapter of CORSA, a local group of CORSA members must make application for Chapter status to the CORSA Executive Secretary. This application must include:
1. The names and addresses of all the members of the proposed Chapter. The membership list must include at least ten CORSA members and the CORSA members must account for at least half of the total members of the proposed chapter. In Alaska, Hawaii, and foreign countries other than Canada, this minimum requirement is three. Sparsely populated areas may use the minimum requirement of three CORSA members with Board approval.
2. The names of club officers for the proposed Chapter. A majority of the proposed Chapter’s executive officers (president, vice-president, et al.) must be CORSA members.
3. A copy of a constitution, or articles of incorporation and by-laws for the proposed Chapter.
4. A name for the proposed Chapter, which shall not duplicate that of any CORSA Chapter listed in the most recent published list.
5. A sample newsletter of the proposed chapter, if one is published.
6. Time and location for regular meetings of the proposed Chapter.

To indicate that Charter requirements continue to be met, a Chartered Chapter shall file with the Executive Secretary, by March 1 of each calendar year, a Chapter membership roster including CORSA and non-CORSA members, a list of Chapter officers, name and address of the CORSA contact person, a current website address, if applicable, and time and location of meetings. If there is no response, CORSA would have to consider the chapter as inactive. A follow-up will be done and the chapter removed from the chapter list if a chapter report is not received. CORSA Directors will contact chapters if necessary. Chartered Chapters shall be active organizations that must meet at least annually. To be considered an active organization, a Chartered Chapter must satisfy at least one of the following conditions:

It must publish a newsletter for its members at least four times a year, or, it must have at least four meetings annually of at least 25% of its members. Chartered Special Interest Groups shall have the same requirements as Chapters to maintain their status. These are just a few sections from the by-laws and chapter plan policy that I feel are important to keep CORSA an active and viable organization. As in all societies these rules need to be reviewed and updated at times. You can view the complete documents and many more at corvair.org under the heading “about CORSA.”
Jamie Reinhart, former CORSA President wrote:A Hard Pill to Swallow

From CORSA Communiqué, July-August 2012, Volume 34, No.6, pp. 2,5

Last month I stated that I would use my final column to give my opinions as to what CORSA needs to do next to prosper. So here it goes, and as the title suggests some people are not going to like what I say.

I've been paying close attention to the observations of the complete Corvair community for some time now and I have come to the conclusion that there is a large gap in thinking between the members of CORSA and the rest of the community. Most current members like the social friendships, the printed Communique, and the time-tested convention layout, where the rest of the community doesn’t seem to see the value in these advantages. Karl actually alluded to this in his June column. The trick will be for CORSA to make enough changes to entice non-members to become part of the CORSA family without alienating longtime members. These changes have already started with the redesign of the website and testing new formats for the annual convention.

The CORSA website, the Internet in general, and CORSA chapters are more important to the survival of CORSA than the printed Communique. This statement says it all for me and that is why my first topic of discussion is the Communique. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great magazine full of useful information and enjoyable entertainment, but it is too expensive to produce for our small society and has driven the price of dues beyond the realm of perceived value. This year we will spend approximately $47,000 to print and mail the Communique. Add to that around $50,000 more for editorial fees and we spend over 50% of this year’s collected dues to produce the Communique. These costs will never get any cheaper with time nor with a change of editorial staff nor printing companies. The Board has proved this with several RFPs and quotes from other companies. Back this thought process up with the many daily papers and magazines that are either cutting printing in half or just plain disappearing and you can easily see why CORSA needs to do the same. This is the reason why the new virtual membership is so important and why I will choose this option when my standard membership runs out. My hope is that enough people pick this electronic option to show that the printed Communique can be phased out and replaced with a weekly blog on the CORSA website before future CORSA Boards have to raise dues again. Raising dues is not going to increase our membership.

Of course the blog needs to be created very soon so people can get used to this form of information delivery. I myself have enjoyed the routine updates on this year’s convention blog and I think many others do also. The sheer number of people using the Corvair based forums and websites is proof enough to show that the Internet is becoming the place where Corvair owners come for information and socializing. If we admit that the Internet is where people are heading for Corvair-specific information and camaraderie, we also have to admit that people are looking for free or close to free information. CORSA needs to tap into this group of people by having an economical membership based on the website and the information included on the site, not the expensive to produce Communique. The price should cover daily administration and website editorial costs plus the CORSA liability insurance premium. There should also be a small amount charged for website maintenance and the historic content included on the site. Ideally dues for a membership like this should be no more than $20. I truly believe that we are at a point in CORSA’s history where we can do this because most everyone has a computer or smart phone or will get one soon so they can readily view the website.

Conventions are the second topic I would like to discuss. Conventions have been a yearly staple of CORSA for many years and I think they can continue for some time into the future, but only if they change with the times. We have seen some positive changes in the last few years with the shortening of the convention, either by deleting an event or compressing the schedule and separating the concours and car display and holding the display on the weekend. Another change that was suggested by this year’s convention committee was to give out awards on the day of the event. I was not in favor of this practice until recently. Most people have voiced their concern over the length and complexity of the awards banquet. Giving awards each day at the end of the event will shorten the banquet and give people the choice of how long they spend at the convention. If you want to stay a day or two and participate in one event you can, and go home with a trophy if you win one. If you choose to stay the week and participate in many events and the banquet, it’s your choice.

The most concerning issue is the current lack of chapters willing to host a convention. If this does not change, CORSA may be forced to hold conventions less frequently, or take over running the conventions and asking for local clubs and other volunteers to help with running the day-to-day activities.

Another concerning issue that needs to be addressed is our chapters. Recently the Board members split up the list of CORSA chapters and contacted them to see how many members they had, if they were an active chapter, and if their website and contact information was current. We found that there are several chapters that are defunct, have one or two members, or their contact information and their websites are way out of date. This is a huge problem for not only CORSA but the chapters. Imagine a prospective new member looking for a chapter in his area. He finds a local chapter with a website and contact information, but upon trying to contact someone finds that the chapter doesn’t exist anymore or he can’t contact anyone because the information is out of date. We need to weed out all the non-active chapters and urge the rest of the chapters to keep the contacts list and the websites up to date.

The last issue I would like to discuss is the CORSA Board. It has become increasingly difficult to find candidates to run for the Board. This year marked the first year that an election was not held with four open spots to be filled. One person has stepped forward and will be appointed to the Board by the time you read this column. I would suggest this is an indication that a change is in order and that we discontinue the current Board structure and adopt some sort of management committee type system which could include one elected person from each Division for member representation, plus Harry and Mike or whoever is the management company at the time for technical advice and continuity. Then a Past Presidents committee needs to be created to advise about CORSA history so that repeated mistakes are avoided.

In closing, I have enjoyed being on the Board for the last three years and your President for the last two. I hope I have helped make some positive changes for CORSA and I wish the Society well. See you at the convention!
Brad Bodie
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Yes CORSA has its issues but I still support them. I think it is important to our Corvairs. Personally, I think CORSA needs to make some changes to adapt to today's climate, I don''t think that will happen very soon though. It is made up of mostly volunteers and knowing that, I understand we all have lives. I can only speak for myself but having a family, work, home, etc., spare time is hard to come by. It is frustrating at times but I have more grace knowing that as well.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Corvair1

Post by Corvair1 »

Good evening fellows and :ty: for all the concern. I finally got an answer from Jason and he sent me all the documents required to get my feet wet on how all this works.
All I have to do know is contact all my potential members and see what they think. We are about a dozen and we meet once a year in a sugar bush and have a whale of a time.
A lot times we just can't seem to get everyone together in the same place so I have devised a new plan. I have created secure place on my website http://corvairone.com that has audio and video. I know it is not the same as sitting at the table with everyone but it beats not being able to make it at all.
Herb
ImageImageImage
Herb (Corvair1)
Alexandria, Ontario
Canada
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

There is another Corvair Forum member in South Africa who is pursuing a similar course in his home country -- attempting to raise some local interest in CORSA membership so that they can try to form a CORSA chapter there. So far, CORSA chapters have only been formed in four countries outside of the USA. South Africa would be number five. Perhaps Corvair owners in the United Kingdom will take similar steps some day -- they seem to have enough Corvair owners in England to make it worthwhile! :think: ::-):
Brad Bodie
Corvair1

Post by Corvair1 »

Gee! did I start something here?
ImageImageImage
Herb (Corvair1)
Alexandria, Ontario
Canada
Ragtop Man

Post by Ragtop Man »

bbodie52 wrote:The former vice president of CORSA, Jason Cesana took over as president in September 2012.

I don't think I would be too quick to judge the president of CORSA. He was getting this information secondhand from me, and wants to communicate directly with the person who wants to start a new CORSA chapter in Ontario. That makes sense, and the fact that he responded to me by message from his phone within 20 min. of my message to him from the CORSA website is, I believe, a good indication of his desire to be of assistance and to get right on this. I have no idea who it was within CORSA who received the original inquiry, or who "dropped the ball" by not responding to the initial request for chapter information. The CORSA president may very-well look into this further to try to eliminate future bureaucratic or administrative problems, such as the one that occurred here. I personally have not had frequent opportunities to try to communicate with CORSA, but in the two or three instances that I did send messages to CORSA I can report that I did receive fast and helpful responses.
Apologies if I came off wrong here Brad . I did not to sound as if judging him and from what you have discovered in your attempts to assist Herb in this matter it sounds as if the underlying issue will be addressed . I know that it is probably thanks to Corsa that there are so many Corvair related events taking place . After having observed your obvious enthusiasm for these cars as well as your thoroughness and technical skills I'm wondering why you aren't running for a seat ! :dontknow: :rolling: I say that in all seriousness too . You do a lot to on this board to help folks and welcome newcomers and you've been around Vairs most of your life . :tu: I know you've probably already considered it though . :my02:
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

If you want to form a chapter, keep pushing.....

Jason and Scott are the two big ones who helped Maine become a chapter. It took me three tries to do so. On my third attempt, I was just throwing in the towel when Jason contacted me.

For some reason, CORSA keeps complaining about membership numbers. Yet, it's not easy to form a new chapter, which means more memberships. Because of our region, our members are scattered all over the state, which is quite large. It is difficult, for us, to meet all of CORSA's requirements.

Jason has had numerous personal issues arise over the past year, please be patient.
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/
DemonPig

Post by DemonPig »

I have read most of this thread and I have to say that maintaining a car club is extremely difficult.
Someone mentioned the Internet - yes - that is one huge club killer. An internet forum like this one makes a club much less vital with its wealth of information, media and advice. As a matter of fact, people will often organize informal meets and events via forums.

I wish CORSA well but its membership has been dwindling and it will be hard to stop that trend.
1965 Corvair Monza coupe
Allan Lacki

Post by Allan Lacki »

The CORSA Website now has a "Create a Chapter" link with instructions. Go to www.corvair.org, click on "About CORSA" , and you'll see it. ::-):

Return to “Corvair Society of America discussion”