Chapters

Corvair Society of America discussion, questions, feedback, ideas
66vairguy

Re: Chapters

Post by 66vairguy »

CORSA is was once highly regarded, but then things started to degrade. Not sure what's going on, but our local club was threatened with the possibility of expulsion as a CORSA chapter unless more club members did not ALSO join CORSA. Then the club was told that CORSA needed to charge the club $25.00 for each member NOT in CORSA or the clubs shows would not be covered by the COSA event insurance. When the club financial officer asked CORSA for the details about the insurance policy to supply to the host of the local show THERE WAS NO RESPONSE after repeated requests.

A couple of members sent in good technical articles to CORSA and got "We'll look at them" for over a year and nothing ever happened.

Finally out West there have been no CORSA conventions for a couple of rotations. The reason given is "No clubs out West submitted requests", yet I know one club in L.A. asked CORSA for assistance in bring a convention to L.A. (possibly supported by multiple clubs due to the expense) and got no reply.

My advice to anyone wanting to start a Corvair club is - go ahead. You don't need CORSA to succeed. Using online media will do more to boost your club. The secret of a good volunteer club is a flexible/friendly leadership and someone with knowledge to get the club online.
Allan Lacki

Re: Chapters

Post by Allan Lacki »

Hi '66vairguy,

Thanks for sharing your insights about CORSA this afternoon. It appears that your chapter has had some real difficulties with us.

I'd like to know how the rumor started about chapters having to pay CORSA $25 for each non-member. It sounds like a misinterpretation of the current policy. If so, we need to get the word out.

As of a year or two ago, CORSA began to require each chapter to pay a $35 per year flat fee. It's $35 irrespective of how many people are in a chapter and irrespective of how many are members of CORSA.

In exchange, the chapter and its officers get free liability insurance, free server space for its website, and some other benefits that may or may not be of value depending on its own situation. Personally, I think it's a good deal.

You also mentioned lack of response from some of our officials. I agree, that's inexcusable.

Al Lacki
Eastern Division Director

Return to “Corvair Society of America discussion”