Corsa Board seeking nominations

Corvair Society of America discussion, questions, feedback, ideas
Scott H
Site Admin

Corsa Board seeking nominations

Post by Scott H »

The CORSA Board is now asking for nominations for anyone that wants to run for the Board in this year’s elections. We are seeking individuals who will bring new ideas on the future of CORSA. Members are encouraged to run to take charge of the future of CORSA. We are in the process of making big decisions for the future of CORSA and you could be part of it.

E-mail or regular mail a picture and nomination letter to:

Street Address:
c/o Jason Cesana
117 Chestnut St.
Manville RI 02838

email link below
http://www.corvair.org/index.php?option ... Itemid=105
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
BritCars

Re: Corsa Board seeking nominations

Post by BritCars »

Scott,

I read the same announcement in previous Communiques; thanks for the reminder here.

While the Board promotes its desire for new ideas for growth, revitalization and recognition of the Corvair, its policies and procedures - as well as its administrative decision to retain its management team - speak against that stated desire. I could not feel more strongly that CORSA needs to tack in different directions, online, in print, in presentation and in structure. However, if my email conversations with current Board members meet with silence and a glacial pace of decision-making, why would I, or anyone else far more qualified than I, wish to spend volunteer time on the BOD?

I'm a working man, not a retiree, who nevertheless enjoys volunteering as a member of Dirigo Corvairs [and other auto clubs], as a state-certified volunteer EMT to my island town, an appointed member of my island's Planning Board, along with church and cultural activities. I will always give time when it will result in enhancing the life of my local or extended community, but I can't afford to waste my time, either.

The BOD is intended to be funded by the wallets of its members. Yet I know from direct contact with Board members that it was dragged kicking and screaming into telephone conference calls - even though Skype or paid sites have become the routine medium for business and governmental activities. Board members are still expected to pay their way to national conventions, events attended by a miniscule portion of the declining membership - why have them waste their time and money this way?

Board member's columns in the Communique read as though the author never read the previous issue's Board member column. Isn't someone paid for editorial services as part of the management contract? Suggestions for improvements in the magazine have gone nowhere; I know because as a professional magazine editor, I sent them to Board members and have never received a meaningful reaction or response.

The BOD and its management team seem strangely distant from the declining membership base. Membership renewal is handled expensively though the USPS but new members don't even get an email welcome? After YEARS of prodding, the BOD finally established an exception that enabled Dirigo Corvairs to become a chapter. Then we went went six months of formal CORSA membership without any recognition; if Ron Tinkham hadn't howled we'd still be ignored. We're the first new chapter in ages and we have yet to hear from the Membership Chairman of CORSA; in fact, we have yet to hear from CORSA in any meaningful way. No wonder Corvair clubs that happen to be CORSA chapters focus their energy on their local activities and promotion of the Corvair rather than CORSA.

Oh, and when Board members in the past have spoken forcefully for change, well, they seem to "disappear" off the Board.

Scott, I commend your energy as a Board member and wish you every success, although I have no idea what your vision is for CORSA, or what agenda items you'd like to see CORSA undertake. I certainly assume good faith on the part of every BOD member and believe their hearts are in the right place.

Good luck with your work, and to those who decide to run for positions on the BOD. I would LOVE to be proven dead wrong by witnessing dramatic change in CORSA during 2012.

Jeff
Jeff Aronson
Vinalhaven, ME 04863
http://www.landroverwriter.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'66 Corvair Monza Coupe 110/4
'66 Land Rover Series II-A 88"
'80 Triumph Spitifre
'80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Jeff I totally feel ya. I came aboard with tons of ideas and ambition. My ideas got heard and mostly forgotten. I am still optimistic for Corsa and I still promote the organization for the same reason I built and maintain this site. I love these cars.
flashpoint
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by flashpoint »

BritCars wrote:Scott,

I read the same announcement in previous Communiques; thanks for the reminder here.

While the Board promotes its desire for new ideas for growth, revitalization and recognition of the Corvair, its policies and procedures - as well as its administrative decision to retain its management team - speak against that stated desire. I could not feel more strongly that CORSA needs to tack in different directions, online, in print, in presentation and in structure. However, if my email conversations with current Board members meet with silence and a glacial pace of decision-making, why would I, or anyone else far more qualified than I, wish to spend volunteer time on the BOD?

I'm a working man, not a retiree, who nevertheless enjoys volunteering as a member of Dirigo Corvairs [and other auto clubs], as a state-certified volunteer EMT to my island town, an appointed member of my island's Planning Board, along with church and cultural activities. I will always give time when it will result in enhancing the life of my local or extended community, but I can't afford to waste my time, either.

The BOD is intended to be funded by the wallets of its members. Yet I know from direct contact with Board members that it was dragged kicking and screaming into telephone conference calls - even though Skype or paid sites have become the routine medium for business and governmental activities. Board members are still expected to pay their way to national conventions, events attended by a miniscule portion of the declining membership - why have them waste their time and money this way?

Board member's columns in the Communique read as though the author never read the previous issue's Board member column. Isn't someone paid for editorial services as part of the management contract? Suggestions for improvements in the magazine have gone nowhere; I know because as a professional magazine editor, I sent them to Board members and have never received a meaningful reaction or response.

The BOD and its management team seem strangely distant from the declining membership base. Membership renewal is handled expensively though the USPS but new members don't even get an email welcome? After YEARS of prodding, the BOD finally established an exception that enabled Dirigo Corvairs to become a chapter. Then we went went six months of formal CORSA membership without any recognition; if Ron Tinkham hadn't howled we'd still be ignored. We're the first new chapter in ages and we have yet to hear from the Membership Chairman of CORSA; in fact, we have yet to hear from CORSA in any meaningful way. No wonder Corvair clubs that happen to be CORSA chapters focus their energy on their local activities and promotion of the Corvair rather than CORSA.

Oh, and when Board members in the past have spoken forcefully for change, well, they seem to "disappear" off the Board.

Scott, I commend your energy as a Board member and wish you every success, although I have no idea what your vision is for CORSA, or what agenda items you'd like to see CORSA undertake. I certainly assume good faith on the part of every BOD member and believe their hearts are in the right place.

Good luck with your work, and to those who decide to run for positions on the BOD. I would LOVE to be proven dead wrong by witnessing dramatic change in CORSA during 2012.

Jeff

Well said. Pretty much sums up why I am not ,nor plan on becoming a member.
BritCars

Post by BritCars »

Scott, I feared your participation might end up in your stated results. I, too, believe that a revitalized CORSA should continue and thus, I will continue my membership. Since the organization has become so moribund and fixed in its ways, I'm doing so only a year by year basis. I will not be able justify participation if improvements and enhancements are not made; self-employment really makes you pay attention to the value of dollars spent against benefits received :).

I do remember why you started this Forum and certainly appreciate its fresh approach to enthusiasm for our terrific cars.

Flashpoint, effective change can only come from within, so I urge you to consider joining to be another voice for change.

What should really motivate CORSA is the thought that a competing group might seek to bring Corvair enthusiasts together in an entirely new manner, perhaps recognizing that we need to encourage new generations of enthusiasts about our cars in [digital] ways that speak to them, not just to their grandparents.

Jeff
Jeff Aronson
Vinalhaven, ME 04863
http://www.landroverwriter.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'66 Corvair Monza Coupe 110/4
'66 Land Rover Series II-A 88"
'80 Triumph Spitifre
'80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

Well said Jeff! :tu:

We could all ban together and heave the current CORSA BOD, Communique' staff and start with young, fresh minds. Like Scott.
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/

Return to “Corvair Society of America discussion”