OLDS 455 TORO CORVAIR

All Models and Years
khardy

OLDS 455 TORO CORVAIR

Post by khardy »

LOOKING for any information, tech sheets, or dimensions for an olds 455 toronado mid-engineering kit. Any info to help me build this engine cradle to install into my 1967 corvair would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Karl
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: OLDS 455 TORO CORVAIR

Post by azdave »

I've never seen details like that although I know they must be out there. Clark's and several other vendors have old literature sheets for many of the popular V8 conversions.

I have two Toro conversions myself and neither are done the same. I don't know for sure if they were partial kits from Mid-Engineering or home built or a combination of good/bad ideas. I'm currently evaluating what I like about both of them and I'm going to incorporate all of the best ideas and parts into one chassis for a real keeper/weekend show car. The other chassis I will finish as a more casual daily driver and probably sell it right after that so I can begin yet another conversion I've been scheming about.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
lonestranger

Post by lonestranger »

khardy wrote:LOOKING for any information, tech sheets, or dimensions for an olds 455 toronado mid-engineering kit. Any info to help me build this engine cradle to install into my 1967 corvair would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Karl
I would suggest you consider using either the 500 Cad Eldorado engine/transmission rather than the Olds engine package, as the Eldo is quite a bit lighter than the Olds (in fact if you use the edelbrock aluminum intake on the Cad motor, it weighs just slightly more than a small block chevrolet - but makes 500 lbs of torque to start with!! - just a thought). They don't corner real sharp, but sure fun to point straight ahead and "poke it!!!" ::-): The other choice would be to use a transmission adapter and bolt in a LS series motor (take your pick - based on wallet - LS1 (approx 300hp) through LS9 (638hp). These engines would give you a better weight distribution for handling, don't ya know! :evil:
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

lonestranger wrote: I would suggest you consider using either the 500 Cad Eldorado engine/transmission rather than the Olds engine package, as the Eldo is quite a bit lighter than the Olds (in fact if you use the edelbrock aluminum intake on the Cad motor, it weighs just slightly more than a small block chevrolet - but makes 500 lbs of torque to start with!! - just a thought). They don't corner real sharp, but sure fun to point straight ahead and "poke it!!!" ::-): The other choice would be to use a transmission adapter and bolt in a LS series motor (take your pick - based on wallet - LS1 (approx 300hp) through LS9 (638hp). These engines would give you a better weight distribution for handling, don't ya know! :evil:
Intake manifold?
On a Toro conversion I've never seen anyone fit anything except the original (lowered) OEM intake manifold but I could be wrong. I could not run an Eldebrock aluminum intake on either of my Toros unless I was willing to cut into the rear window support or lose the glass entirely. Someone is supposed to be making custom aluminum lowered intakes for the older Toro setups but they will cost at least $600 from estimates on the site.

Engine adapters?
Places like Kennedy have told me there is no such adapter made to bolt a LS to a TH425 tranny. You know of a solution?
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
Greybeard
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Greybeard »

Dave is correct about the intake. The Cad will fit with the stock Eldo intake, but neither the Olds or Cad can use aftermarket. There is a rather expensive "Olds" copy in alloy. There are alloy heads for both that would bring the engine weight down 30-40lbs on both engines. Weight of the Cad is not "less than" the Olds however, but close. http://www.team.net/sol/tech/engine.html
The advantage of the Olds is it's been done a few times, and a few kits sold for that installation. The advantage for the Cad would be the 50 ft lbs of torque. Since mine will go "wheels" up with an Olds, that advantage would probably be minimal.
'66 Corsa, 455 Olds
http://greybeard.shutterfly.com/
Mike
lonestranger

Post by lonestranger »

azdave wrote:
lonestranger wrote: I would suggest you consider using either the 500 Cad Eldorado engine/transmission rather than the Olds engine package, as the Eldo is quite a bit lighter than the Olds (in fact if you use the edelbrock aluminum intake on the Cad motor, it weighs just slightly more than a small block chevrolet - but makes 500 lbs of torque to start with!! - just a thought). They don't corner real sharp, but sure fun to point straight ahead and "poke it!!!" ::-): The other choice would be to use a transmission adapter and bolt in a LS series motor (take your pick - based on wallet - LS1 (approx 300hp) through LS9 (638hp). These engines would give you a better weight distribution for handling, don't ya know! :evil:
Intake manifold?
On a Toro conversion I've never seen anyone fit anything except the original (lowered) OEM intake manifold but I could be wrong. I could not run an Eldebrock aluminum intake on either of my Toros unless I was willing to cut into the rear window support or lose the glass entirely. Someone is supposed to be making custom aluminum lowered intakes for the older Toro setups but they will cost at least $600 from estimates on the site.

Engine adapters?
Places like Kennedy have told me there is no such adapter made to bolt a LS to a TH425 tranny. You know of a solution?
My mistake, I must have been thinking of the engine placement with the Crown type conversions. You're right, relative to the aluminum "low rise" manifold for the 455 Olds (approx $600) but in addition to weight savings vs cast iron Olds OEM, it has the bosses cast in it to convert to FI (potentially a worthwhile upgrade). Relative to an adaptor, the TH425 should be basically the same pattern as a TH400, so there should be adaptors for that combo to LS. I haven't checked but just a thought. Trying to reduce the polar moment, don't ya know! ::-):
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

lonestranger wrote: ...Relative to an adaptor, the TH425 should be basically the same pattern as a TH400, so there should be adaptors for that combo to LS. I haven't checked but just a thought. Trying to reduce the polar moment, don't ya know! ::-):
I only talked to one guy at Kennedy Engineering but he said there was not an easy way to adapt an LS to a TH425 tranny and that they don't do any adapter for that app. Doesn't mean it can't be done but no one there had done it yet. He mentioned crankshaft/flexplate/TQ issues. I also noted possible problems where the output shaft from the diff passes under the oil pan and also where the diff needs to mount to the block for full support. That sounded like more than I was willing to experiment with so I bought a fully built 455 out of a jet boat. Plenty of power but certainly not an LS by any means. My Toro Vairs will be more show than go when all is said and done.

Photo shows a Toro power package as removed from the car in my sig pic last fall.
7.0 liter Olds (425 ci)
TH425 3-speed auto tranny (based on the Turbo-Hydramatic 400)
3.07 differental
Attachments
P9290030.JPG
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

http://v8vairs.com/

I do not know if you are familiar with this site or not but it is worth looking at as it is an alternate powered Corvair site.

Are you committed to using a Toronado transaxle? If not there are several more modern options but may require a computer to run them. Options could be the newer Corvettes with transaxles, How about a Chrysler/Plymouth Prowler transaxle?
The Prowler offers a good automatic transaxle that was designed to be shifted either automatically or manually and can take a good amount of power. The stock Prowler engine is rated at 253 horsepower.
If you could find one at a salvage yard it might be possible to eliminate the driveshaft and maybe bolt the engine to the transaxle and utilize the computers to run the car. If I had the resources for something like this, I might consider it but that is not the case. I have a Prowler and am in awe of the overall performance of the drivetrain and think it would make a great powerplant for a Corvair. JMO
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

caraholic4life wrote:http://v8vairs.com/

I do not know if you are familiar with this site or not but it is worth looking at as it is an alternate powered Corvair site.

Are you committed to using a Toronado transaxle? If not there are several more modern options but may require a computer to run them. Options could be the newer Corvettes with transaxles, How about a Chrysler/Plymouth Prowler transaxle?
The Prowler offers a good automatic transaxle that was designed to be shifted either automatically or manually and can take a good amount of power. The stock Prowler engine is rated at 253 horsepower.
If you could find one at a salvage yard it might be possible to eliminate the driveshaft and maybe bolt the engine to the transaxle and utilize the computers to run the car. If I had the resources for something like this, I might consider it but that is not the case. I have a Prowler and am in awe of the overall performance of the drivetrain and think it would make a great powerplant for a Corvair. JMO
Committed to Toro?
I am committed to staying with the Toro package on the first two cars. See last paragraph.

V8 link?
I think I know most of the V8 Vair sites. I have been to that one for sure.

Why stay with Toro?
I've previously owned both a Kelmark and Crown Corvair at the same time and while both had their merits I'll never own either again. I now own two Toro V8s and like the Crown vs Kelmark, both have a different way of mounting the power package and both have strong and weak points. I'm repairing the first Toro to a reasonable driving condition (mechanically strong but maybe not the best cosmetics). This is just to get one of the two back on the road to enjoy it. The second Toro will be done much nicer with extra time involved to integrate all of the best feature I can install.

Prowler package?
I have yet another 66 Corsa Coupe that I'm already drawing up plans to place a modern FWD system in the rear. That will be a 4-cyl turbo that is easily boosted into the 350HP range with pump gas.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
JesseBee

Post by JesseBee »

I have yet another 66 Corsa Coupe that I'm already drawing up plans to place a modern FWD system in the rear. That will be a 4-cyl turbo that is easily boosted into the 350HP range with pump gas.
What ever, if anything happened with this idea Dave? I'm guessing that you are thinking of a Turbocharged Subaru.

I'm new to this forum. I don't have a Corvair but I had one way back in 1969, a '66 Corsa, I think it was.

I have a '71 Volkswagen Super Beetle that has a SOHC, non-turbo Subi engine in it and with a mere 1800 pounds of car it flies. I've recently started looking at Corvairs and every time I see that relatively 'huge' engine bay I can't help but think how much fun it would be to put a turbo version of the Subi DOHC engine in that engine bay. Although my SOHC fit in my Beetle without cutting any sheet metal in the bug, that would NOT have been the case trying to install the DOHC engine with it's turbo and intercooler.

Since I'm joining this thread several years late a company called SubaruGears.com has recently made available a flipped ring and pinion gear set so that you can reverse the direction of rotation to use the 5 speed Subaru transaxle with the engine located, in my minds eye, in the 'huge' Corvair engine bay. These engines are known to make the 350HP range you mentioned AND MORE.

Jesse
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Several people are already doing Subaru swaps so that's not for me. I plan a DSM-based solution as I know them much better and no one has done one of those that I know of. Earlier this fall I trailered home a 96 Eclipse GST to use as a donor. I've not worked on it much since I'm still remodeling my house but by spring I will be all done with the last two rooms and Corvair work will commence.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”