6 puck Ceramic Clutch

All Models and Years
pormgb

6 puck Ceramic Clutch

Post by pormgb »

Hi All.

I have a 6 puck Ceramic clutch with a solid flywheel and am having difficulties getting in 1st, 2nd or reverse gears.

When I try to shift into 1st, 2nd or reverse with the clutch fully depressed I have difficulty getting into those gears, it feels like the clutch is not fully disengaged, 3rd and 4th seem ok. I can start the car in gear but when I try to go to second I have to force it in, when that car was on jack stands with wheels free I could shift with no problem. Does anyone have a similar setup and experienced similar problems? any ideas would help!!
miniman82

Re: 6 puck Ceramic Clutch

Post by miniman82 »

Check your shift linkage yet?
Click it!
pormgb

Post by pormgb »

miniman82 wrote:Check your shift linkage yet?
How does a misaligned linkage cause this problem?

I can shift through the gears without the motor running.
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Sorry, I meant inside the trans. I don't know if it's even possible for those to be off, but it makes sense. Also, what condition are your trans bushings in? Mine were f*cked, and since the trans movings around means the linkage angles will change...
Click it!
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Sounds like shifter linkage to me, especially with all of the difficult gears being on the same side of the shift pattern.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
pormgb

Post by pormgb »

Scott Howey wrote:Sounds like shifter linkage to me, especially with all of the difficult gears being on the same side of the shift pattern.
Ok guys, ill give the linkage a try.

Thanks !!
mlevair

Post by mlevair »

I would check the free play of the clutch cable and make sure the clutch is disengaging completely.
Michael LeVeque
LeVair Performance & Restoration
Anderson,IN
765-617-9307
pormgb

Post by pormgb »

mlevair wrote:I would check the free play of the clutch cable and make sure the clutch is disengaging completely.
Yes, I'm going to take another stab at this.

On thing scary that was suggested by Clarks is that I may have put the clutch disk in the wrong way. I done the clutch quite a while back so I don't remember the disks orientation, I personally find it hard that I would make a mistake like that.

Over the weekend I'm going to preload the clutch cable so I get more travel, If I can shift with no problems (even if the clutch is permanently disengaged) Ill know I have an adjustment problem.

Thanks !!
pormgb

Post by pormgb »

I dropped the motor and found binding on one side of the flywheel and pressure plate, the clutch was in the right way. I think I tightened up the PP bolts in the wrong sequence and this caused one side of the clutch to be permanently engaged, I bolted up the complete assembly out of the car and tightened each PP to flywheel bolt gradually, the clutch plate did not bind and there was lots of clearance between clutch and PP/Flywheel.
Attachments
IMG_1835.jpg
IMG_1841.jpg

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”