rear wheel bearing set up

All Models and Years
roastbeef

rear wheel bearing set up

Post by roastbeef »

Hi all.
When reassembling the rear axle bearings with new shims, should I have
A little free play or preload the bearings?
Any links to how to?
Thanks
Malcolm
737ETOPS

Re: rear wheel bearing set up

Post by 737ETOPS »

Bump
lalkie

Post by lalkie »

I did mine myself and ended up with about .004 play. Clarks sells shims to allow more or less play I believe the manual indicates .001 to .006 play. Pre load might not work as the bearings expand when they get hot. Larry
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

You didn't state EM or LM.

For the LM bearings the factory spec. of 0.001 - 0.006" is not valid for maximum life span.

The folks familiar with the rear LM rear wheel bearing set them at 0.002 - 0.003" via shim selection.

It has been documented that new LM Corvairs often had early wheel bearing failures attributed to clearances greater than 0.003". Setting the bearings to 0.001" is too tight and does not allow for adequate expansion as the bearings get hot and results in a "DRY" bearing since the grease is literally squeezed out of the bearing races when the axle components expand as they get hot.

It should be noted that the "collars" used with the shims were crudely cut and it's common that only a valid end play value (0.002 - 0.003) is obtained when the yoke nut is torqued to specification!!

Some have create an assembly fixture that is a cut down spindle to allow the bearings to be slip fitted so shims can be selected via repeated disassembly/assembly. Typically it takes several tries to get the end play set with the proper shim and a slip spindle fixture allows for the removal of the bearing without damaging it. The spindle DOES NOT AFFECT THE ENDPLAY. Once you find a shim/collar combination for the correct end play you move the bearings, collar, shim(s), housing to the final spindle and press the bearings on and torque on the yoke.

A number of folks send the axle spindles to someone that has the proper fixtures to set up the axle end play. Properly rebuilt a rear LM axle spindle will go 80 - 120K miles with NO service required.

Also note that per the manual - you DO NOT fill the spindle housing cavity with grease. Just coat the bearings and the sides of the cavity. A cavity filled solid with grease will cause the seals to fail as the grease get hot, expands and is forced past the seals onto the brake linings - not good.

You can just change the bearings/races and re-use the old collar and shims with new bearings/races and hope for the best, but spending the money for a proper rebuild if you are going to keep the car for sometime is worth it in my opinion.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

FYI...In another thread he mentions he has a 62 sedan.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Since your Corvair is a 1962 700 4-door, I don't believe this type of axle bearing assembly uses any shims or clearance adjustments. When the outer shell halves are separated, the bearings are cleaned and repacked with grease, and the two halves of the outer shell and bearing races are reassembled, the clearances are fixed and not adjustable. This may prove useful...

Corvair Rampside Rear Axle Bearing Packing Procedure

:link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdHz-5X0RZg

Corvair wheel bearing/rear axle replacement part 1

:link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCsVINJY1_8

Corvair wheel bearing/rear axle replacement part 2

:link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MO1A2qujeQ

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... graygo.y=0
Attachments
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6c - Rear Axle.pdf
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6c - Rear Axle
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 38 times
1962-1963 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6c - Rear Axle.pdf
1962-1963 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6c - Rear Axle
(674.03 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
BIGTWIN
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by BIGTWIN »

Great info guys. I've been thinking about that myself because when I had mine apart I disassembled, cleaned, and repacked the bearings on my 61 and have been thinking about whether that was good enough.
1961 Monza
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside a dog it's too dark to read."
roastbeef

Post by roastbeef »

Cheers for info all, assembled with a little free play.
Now drives much better.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”