Help with a 62 / 102 4spd with a stumble

All Models and Years
J.M

Help with a 62 / 102 4spd with a stumble

Post by J.M »

On weekends I have been trolling around in my brothers 62 / 102 4spd car (he is out of the province for a while) The car is all original with 32,000 miles on it.

We put new carbs on it from wolfe, new plugs and wires. The car runs quite well , fires right up , idles smooth and quiet.

The problem is that the car has a flat spot , it feels like it's bogging and getting too much fuel when you give it full throttle. partial throttle it drives normal as it should , but I know that the little 102 should be running stronger. The carbs are correct for the car , I am tempted to throw my wideband 02 on it to see if it's rich. Since my old man is down south right now it's left to me to figure out why.

Any ideas?

Thanks

JM
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: Help with a 62 / 102 4spd with a stumble

Post by Scott H »

Could be several things.
Weak spark - hows the cap/rotor/points?
Is the vacuum advance working?
Hows the fuel pump? Maybe its starving on the top end instead of flooding?
Also check the float levels, make sure they are set correctly.

I'm far from an expert so hopefully more will respond. ::-):
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
J.M

Post by J.M »

cap and rotor is new , I hadn't checked the points, vac advance is visibly working , I would have assumed the float levels are right , but I will check those as well (after the points)

J
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

You say you you think it is rich? Do you get any black smoke when you hit full throttle? If so do you get it from both sides (might be a problem in one carb.../shrug). Rich will generally make some black smoke. If over rich is causing the problem, float level too high is most likely.

If you are going to check the float levels you may as well check all the other adjustments per the shop manual while you are there. CAUTION If your Wolfe carbs are detailed (painted) be very careful dissassembling them. I had issues in the past with the pretty coating being effected by gasoline.

Are you sure both carbs are actually working? Are they synchronized? When you accelerate the motor do the carbs have somewhat even flow (can be easily checked by accelerating the motor manualy at the linkage, hold a mid throttle speed and place your hand over each carb to gauge suction. If one side is significantly weaker look on that side for your problem ). Running on one carb is somewhat common and can cause this type issue. (when it occurs often it is a piece of trash in the carb blocking flow).

Other thoughts
Mechanical advance in the distributor could be stuck.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”