Sound proof a Lakewood wagon

All Models and Years
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: Sound proof a Lakewood wagon

Post by Scott H »

Am-Iron wrote:This is not a wagon only fix but I was turned on to it By John and Teresa when they purchased my Corsa they used roof flashing as a sound deadener. They say to get it at Home depot or roofing supply company. It is sticky on one side like Dynamat, Fatmat, E-Dead, or any of the others but way cheaper. Just a thought. I have not tried it yet but it seems like it would work.
wow thanks. I'll have to check into that. I was wondering if there was a cheaper alternative to the auto specific sound deadeners.
Scott

indianalakewood1961
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by indianalakewood1961 »

That's a great idea.. Thanks for all of the great info, got to keep the wife happy ::-):

ron l

Post by ron l »

Am-Iron wrote:This is not a wagon only fix but I was turned on to it By John and Teresa when they purchased my Corsa they used roof flashing as a sound deadener. They say to get it at Home depot or roofing supply company. It is sticky on one side like Dynamat, Fatmat, E-Dead, or any of the others but way cheaper. Just a thought. I have not tried it yet but it seems like it would work.
The stuff is called "Peel & Seal". I did some research into this last week and from what I've gathered it's the same stuff as Fatmat and Dynamat "original". There is even a rumor that the old Fatmat stock had a Peel & Seal part number on it. One person brought a piece of P&S to an audio place to ask if they recognized it and he was told it was Dynamat.

Here's one thread,
http://forums.corral.net/forums/showpos ... ostcount=5
More reading..
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=peel+%26 ... c8669fe4b7

Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Awesome Ron, thank you for doing the research! It's just what I was looking for!!!! :goodpost:
Scott

Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

I found it at Home depot but it was called U.Seal and its 6" x 25'-0 for $16.45.
I also found this stuff called Thermwell or Frost King Self-adhesive foil/foam Duct insulation.
it's 12" x 15'-0 x 1/8" for $18.88
Scott

ron l

Post by ron l »

Yeah I think Peel & Seal is the Lowe's name. That looks just like P&S.

There's some other stuff that looks like bubble wrap? I've heard of people using that too but it's for insulation, not dampening.

I tried P&S on one door (I have a 4door). There isn't much room there so I only put it in the recesses behind the panel, covering up the holes. The door sounds more solid than the side I didn't put it on, goes "thunk" instead of "clang". I probably could squeeze a whole sheet in there and only leave openings for the handles and rods but it's suggested that a small piece is just as effective as covering the entire area. You're only dampening the vibrations, not trying to seal anything up. Not enough room to squeeze a sheet onto the door skin itself, seems to me that would be more effective. Or maybe there was room but I don't think I can clean the surface well enough, although this stuff seems like it'll stick to anything.

There is some concern with heat causing the stuff to melt into a gooey mess so I put a few sheets inside the fender and between the taillights under the hood. Let's see how long that lasts. I want to put some behind the insulation on the hood itself (rattles big time when shut) but I can't seem to pull off that insulation without tearing it up.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”