Sound proof a Lakewood wagon

All Models and Years
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: Sound proof a Lakewood wagon

Post by Scott H »

Am-Iron wrote:This is not a wagon only fix but I was turned on to it By John and Teresa when they purchased my Corsa they used roof flashing as a sound deadener. They say to get it at Home depot or roofing supply company. It is sticky on one side like Dynamat, Fatmat, E-Dead, or any of the others but way cheaper. Just a thought. I have not tried it yet but it seems like it would work.
wow thanks. I'll have to check into that. I was wondering if there was a cheaper alternative to the auto specific sound deadeners.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
indianalakewood1961
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by indianalakewood1961 »

That's a great idea.. Thanks for all of the great info, got to keep the wife happy ::-):
ron l

Post by ron l »

Am-Iron wrote:This is not a wagon only fix but I was turned on to it By John and Teresa when they purchased my Corsa they used roof flashing as a sound deadener. They say to get it at Home depot or roofing supply company. It is sticky on one side like Dynamat, Fatmat, E-Dead, or any of the others but way cheaper. Just a thought. I have not tried it yet but it seems like it would work.
The stuff is called "Peel & Seal". I did some research into this last week and from what I've gathered it's the same stuff as Fatmat and Dynamat "original". There is even a rumor that the old Fatmat stock had a Peel & Seal part number on it. One person brought a piece of P&S to an audio place to ask if they recognized it and he was told it was Dynamat.

Here's one thread,
http://forums.corral.net/forums/showpos ... ostcount=5
More reading..
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=peel+%26 ... c8669fe4b7
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Awesome Ron, thank you for doing the research! It's just what I was looking for!!!! :goodpost:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

I found it at Home depot but it was called U.Seal and its 6" x 25'-0 for $16.45.
I also found this stuff called Thermwell or Frost King Self-adhesive foil/foam Duct insulation.
it's 12" x 15'-0 x 1/8" for $18.88
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
ron l

Post by ron l »

Yeah I think Peel & Seal is the Lowe's name. That looks just like P&S.

There's some other stuff that looks like bubble wrap? I've heard of people using that too but it's for insulation, not dampening.

I tried P&S on one door (I have a 4door). There isn't much room there so I only put it in the recesses behind the panel, covering up the holes. The door sounds more solid than the side I didn't put it on, goes "thunk" instead of "clang". I probably could squeeze a whole sheet in there and only leave openings for the handles and rods but it's suggested that a small piece is just as effective as covering the entire area. You're only dampening the vibrations, not trying to seal anything up. Not enough room to squeeze a sheet onto the door skin itself, seems to me that would be more effective. Or maybe there was room but I don't think I can clean the surface well enough, although this stuff seems like it'll stick to anything.

There is some concern with heat causing the stuff to melt into a gooey mess so I put a few sheets inside the fender and between the taillights under the hood. Let's see how long that lasts. I want to put some behind the insulation on the hood itself (rattles big time when shut) but I can't seem to pull off that insulation without tearing it up.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”