Rampside Engine Deck Lid Support

All Models and Years
charlie o

Rampside Engine Deck Lid Support

Post by charlie o »

I remember reading an article about someone installing a VW Passat trunk hinge as a support for a Rampside Engine Deck Lid. I would like more detailed information if it is available. Thanks, Charlie O
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Rampside Engine Deck Lid Support

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

:google: :search: I didn't find anything on the Corvair Forum website, but a Google search revealed the following...

Bob Slusher wrote:Re: FC ENGINE COVER SUPPORT
Posted by: bobvair ()
Date: June 27, 2012 12:57PM

Several request received asking about the lid supports on the yellow Rampy.

An early VW Passat trunk lid provided the hardware. The lid is light as a feather and once lifted it will slowly rise on its own assisted by the gas struts. The lid is self storing as the hardware turns back on itself to cradle the heavy lid. All of this is light as a feather. A video would do the design justice but I have no idea how to post a short video. A newer second design does away with the tube steel supports and allows the hardware to mount directly to the bulkheads.

Bob Slusher
Portland, Oregon

I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death.

63 Rampside
63 Rampside
71 Brabham BT35
:link: http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.ph ... 992,521005

I found two listings for a Bob Slusher in Portland, Oregon in the Web...

Bob Slusher Age 67
703 NW 92nd PL
Portland, OR 97229-6565
(503) 806-4284 or (503) 292-3185

OR

More Info on Bob Slusher
3226 NE Liberty CT
Portland, OR 97211
(503) 284-1165
Rampside Hinge (1).jpg
Rampside Hinge (2).jpg
See more comments about this hinge and associated hardware on the above Corvair Center link.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
charlie o

Post by charlie o »

Brad, thanks for the reply. I will try to contact Bob for the details. Really appreciate your help. Charlie
Vairamp

Post by Vairamp »

charlie o wrote:Brad, thanks for the reply. I will try to contact Bob for the details. Really appreciate your help. Charlie
Charlie O, did you ever install the gas assists? If you did could you provide details? THANKS

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
charlie o

Post by charlie o »

Sorry for the delayed reply. I did not get a chance to install the Passat lid supports on our 1961 Rampside. Shortly after my old post, I retired and we moved to SC and I sold the Rampside. It looked like it would not be too difficult to do. When we moved from Pittsburgh, I sold the Rampside to a friend Mike Emanual in Ohio. Mike became ill and unable to work on Corvairs and sold both a beautiful 1965 Greenbrier that I sold him a few years earlier and the 1961 Rampside. Maybe someone in the Ohio Corvair Clubs may know who owns them now and they may be able to help you. If you find the owners, please pass on their information to me or have them contact me because I can tell them all about the restorations on both vehicles. Take care, Charlie
Vairamp

Post by Vairamp »

charlie o wrote:Sorry for the delayed reply. I did not get a chance to install the Passat lid supports on our 1961 Rampside. Shortly after my old post, I retired and we moved to SC and I sold the Rampside. It looked like it would not be too difficult to do. When we moved from Pittsburgh, I sold the Rampside to a friend Mike Emanual in Ohio. Mike became ill and unable to work on Corvairs and sold both a beautiful 1965 Greenbrier that I sold him a few years earlier and the 1961 Rampside. Maybe someone in the Ohio Corvair Clubs may know who owns them now and they may be able to help you. If you find the owners, please pass on their information to me or have them contact me because I can tell them all about the restorations on both vehicles. Take care, Charlie

Vairamp

Post by Vairamp »

Vairamp wrote:
charlie o wrote:Sorry for the delayed reply. I did not get a chance to install the Passat lid supports on our 1961 Rampside. Shortly after my old post, I retired and we moved to SC and I sold the Rampside. It looked like it would not be too difficult to do. When we moved from Pittsburgh, I sold the Rampside to a friend Mike Emanual in Ohio. Mike became ill and unable to work on Corvairs and sold both a beautiful 1965 Greenbrier that I sold him a few years earlier and the 1961 Rampside. Maybe someone in the Ohio Corvair Clubs may know who owns them now and they may be able to help you. If you find the owners, please pass on their information to me or have them contact me because I can tell them all about the restorations on both vehicles. Take care, Charlie

THANKS FOR REPLYING. Maybe someone from Ohio will reply to this thread.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”