FC motor swap

All Models and Years
Danthesignman

FC motor swap

Post by Danthesignman »

So I want to swap motors in My 61 , can I take every thing off the top disconnect the driveshafts , remove the rear motor mount , drop it down and slide the motor off ? Or is it going to be easier to drop the whole power train ?
I have till Sun. to do all the brakes and swap motors , just trying to save time .
Thanks , Dan
rodnokn6

Re: FC motor swap

Post by rodnokn6 »

I just dropped the power train from a 61 fc I have always dropped the power train as a unit and seperated it outside the vehicle on a bench . I used the finch cart hybrid to drop it... ( couldn't be easier) I posted some pics on this forum .The thread is called rusty truck gives up drive train. Good luck ..take your time be safe....
Danthesignman

Post by Danthesignman »

My brother has a good transaxle from a 64 convrt. It has a 3 sp , do these have full synchro`s ? And can I use that diff in the van ?
Danthesignman

Post by Danthesignman »

ok , no synchros , I`m just going to keep what came with the van , got suckered into buying a 4sp when I bought the van but after further research I find it is a car 4sp and I dont have the right crosmember...crap.
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Danthesignman wrote:ok , no synchros , I`m just going to keep what came with the van , got suckered into buying a 4sp when I bought the van but after further research I find it is a car 4sp and I dont have the right crosmember...crap.
Couldn't be too pricey or hard to find one tho', eh?
rodnokn6

Post by rodnokn6 »

Danthesignman wrote:ok , no synchros , I`m just going to keep what came with the van , got suckered into buying a 4sp when I bought the van but after further research I find it is a car 4sp and I dont have the right crosmember...crap.
Jeff over @ California Corvairs has some in a big bin I was just there a few days ago. if you have a choice between a three speed and a four speed go with the four speed especially in an fc..... happy hunting

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”