Corvair Mechanic in San Diego

All Models and Years
two2brew

Corvair Mechanic in San Diego

Post by two2brew »

Does anyone know a Corvair mechanic near downtown San Diego? I think I might have a broken flywheel.

Thanks
64 Monza Convertible
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Corvair Mechanic in San Diego

Post by bbodie52 »

I would suggest contacting (and possibly joining) the San Diego Corvair Club. They might be able to provide you with local advice and references to help you get your Corvair repaired...
CORSA Chapter Locator - San Diego Corvair Club

Chapter ID: 921
Organization Name: San Diego Corvair Club

Street Address (Primary): The San Diego Corvair Club P.O. Box 34682, San Diego, CA 92163

San Diego Corvair Club Officers
President: Mike Rodgers
Vice President: David Kerth, Email: lauradg@aol.com
Vice President, Activities: Mike Evans, Email: mike63monza@hotmail.com
Secretary: Red Badgett, Email: redbadgett@sbcglobal.net
Treasurer: Mary Ann Hilton
Technical Support: Larry Tustison, Email: larrytustison@sbcglobal.net
Webmaster: Royce Hildreth, Email: rhildreth@hildrethmedia.com
Newsletter Editor: Red Badgett, Email: redbadgett@sbcglobal.net
Newsletter Name: Vairmail
Email (Primary): redbadgett@aol.com
If you would like to contact the San Diego Corvair Club, please email Red Badget at redbadgett@aol.com

The S.D.C.C. meets at 7:00 pm, the second Thursday of each month at Jimmie Johnson Chevrolet in Kearny Mesa.
JJ Chevrolet is located at 7978 Balboa Ave., San Diego CA 92111

History of the San Diego Corvair Club (S.D.C.C.)

The San Diego Corvair Club (SDCC) was organized in August 1973 with 26 members. Jim Craig, being one of the pioneers of the Club, took the position of President (Pro Tem). The first election of Officers was in 1974. Jim Craig was elected President, Marsh Hesler Secretary-Treasurer, and Lew Richel Activities. The purpose of the San Diego Corvair Club is to encourage the preservation and enjoyment of the Corvair vehicle. Total membership was reported as 96, dues were $6.00, lined club jackets $10.00 (unlined $8.00), and the club treasury boasted $315.10. In 1978, the Club hosted the Corvair Society of America (CORSA) International Convention for Corvairs at the San Diego Convention Center. Many hours and a lot of work by the members of the SDCC helped make the Convention a great success. The Club was incorporated in the State of California as the San Diego Corvair Club on June 21, 1978. This corporation is organized under the General Nonprofit Corporation Law of the State of California. The Club is a chartered chapter of CORSA (#921), an association incorporated under the General Not-For-Profit Act of the State of Illinois on November 17, 1972. The Club is currently governed by ten board members: President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and Activities Vice President.

Due to the age of the Corvair automobile and the possibility of it breaking down when on the road, the Club thought it would be a good idea to have a vehicle that could be used to carry parts and tools for Corvairs. It would be used to go to all Club events and be available to help in the repair of any Corvair that might be in despair. Larry's Corvair Parts, Gardena, CA, donated a Corvair Van to the SDCC; this was converted by a group in the Club called the OF's into a rescue van called Rescue #921. The Van carries a variety of parts, new and used, and a wide variety of tools. The van is used at all functions of the SDCC and other functions such as local area conventions and other local club activities. The van has rescued many disabled corvairs that have broken down in one way or another.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

What symptoms lead to a thought of a broken flywheel ?

Sometimes symptoms can be deceiving .
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
two2brew

Post by two2brew »

Ever since I bought it in November there has been a vibration when in neutral and it would go away when I press the clutch.
Now it vibrates severely and makes loud noises even at low speeds.
64 Monza Convertible
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

You noted a vibration that stopped when the clutch pedal was depressed. The flywheel and the pressure plate continue to spin when the clutch pedal is depressed. Therefore some other items are causing the vibration.

If the car is still in motion, the items that will continue to spin would include the clutch disc, the trans input shaft, various gears in the trans, differential gears, axle shafts, u joints, wheels and tires.

If the car is not in motion, when the pedal is depressed, and the vibration goes away, the parts likely to cause the vibration are those that stop spinning. That would include the clutch disc, the trans input shaft, bearing for the shaft.

Either way, sounds like a tear down.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
two2brew

Post by two2brew »

I finally got the drive train in my 64 Monza vert pulled and found the throwout bearing snout broken off, and both pinion shaft bearing rollers in the bottom of the case. I also have what looks like anti-seize compound in the oil and inside the differential carrier. Is anti-seized a trick people use to hide something? Also when I pressed off the bearings and races, I did not find any shims, which seems odd.
Finally, I found out where all my lubricant went. The bottom bolt on my transmission front cover was missing and the oil was pouring out.
64 Monza Convertible
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost: :ty: :woo:
Wow! After almost three years... a serious update!!

I have never heard of anti-seize compound being used in such a manner. I wonder if the silver-colored substance is some form of powdered metal from bearings or gears in the transaxle that are self-destructing. The accumulated metallic powder could be suspended in the lubricant and might resemble anti-seize compound. If the gear lubricant was running low that might have contributed to the transaxle's demise.

The throw out bearing "snout" can be damaged or cracked if the input shaft sticks in the clutch while physically separating the transaxle from the engine. The input shaft is over 23 inches long and splined at both ends, and can pull free from the transmission while remaining in the clutch disc. If the heavy transaxle is allowed to apply leverage, or lateral pressure on the input shaft, it can crack the "snout", which is only a machined casting and somewhat easy to damage. I suppose an unnoticed crack could develop into a fracture and broken component.

ImageImage
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=124

Part number C7463: THROW OUT BEARING SHAFT FOR 2 SEALS NEEDS(2)SEALS-60-63=C494,64-69=C495 & 1 C1179

Weight: 1 lbs 4 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 124(14),OT,26
Price: $ 48.75

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
two2brew

Post by two2brew »

I thought it was residue as well. I disassembled the carrier where the spider gears are and it was heavily coated with the stuff. That, the lack of any shims and the 65 pinion shaft lead me to believe it was patched up to hide something.
64 Monza Convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

The "residue" is probably ground up metal from the pinion shaft bearings. Probably the shaft was "walking" and broke the snout.

Typical failure when the transaxle lube is not changed (and common). There is a fellow down your way that does transaxle work and the club there should know his name. I have no knowledge of his work so I can' t make any comments. Dan Dromerhausen in the South Coast Corsa club in L.A. CA. has been rebuilding transaxles for decades and has a reliable reputation, but he just does it on the side and is hard to get a hold of and always has work waiting to be done.

First you need to clean and magnaflux the axle case, it may be cracked. While you are at it the transmission probably needs to be rebuilt. At one time folks would just find a good used unit to install, but now good ones are very rare indeed and keep in mind the 64 transaxle case was a one year only casting! Your are probably looking at a major rebuild.

Many decades ago I learned to drain and refill transmissions and axle cases with new lube every 30K miles and I had vehicles that went over 120K without issue. Sad, but you still find old Corvairs with the ORIGINAL FACTORY LUBE in the transaxles because the GM manual makes not mention of changing the transaxle lube due to short warranty periods then.
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

My Chilton's manual states changing transaxle fluid at 10,000 miles which I found quite early for use. Wow, as 66vairguy states some people never, ever check those fluids...
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA
"When in doubt...Hit the gas!" A.J. Foyt.

1965 Corvair Corsa (field find) Project
1971 Dodge Sportsman "shorty" 318 van
2015 Nissan Juke S
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

2 brew - not sure why you mentioned a 65 pinion shaft. Those were a one year only part and DO NOT have the drive gear for the 64 speedometer. So your speedometer would not have worked. Was that the case?

In 65 the speedometer was driven by the front wheel. The 65 and 64 pinion shaft dimensions are identical, the only difference was the no speedometer drive gear in 65.
Cfred

Re: RE: Re: Corvair Mechanic in San Diego

Post by Cfred »

bbodie52 wrote:I would suggest contacting (and possibly joining) the San Diego Corvair Club. They might be able to provide you with local advice and references to help you get your Corvair repaired...
CORSA Chapter Locator - San Diego Corvair Club

Chapter ID: 921
Organization Name: San Diego Corvair Club

Street Address (Primary): The San Diego Corvair Club P.O. Box 34682, San Diego, CA 92163

San Diego Corvair Club Officers
President: Mike Rodgers
Vice President: David Kerth, Email: lauradg@aol.com
Vice President, Activities: Mike Evans, Email: mike63monza@hotmail.com
Secretary: Red Badgett, Email: redbadgett@sbcglobal.net
Treasurer: Mary Ann Hilton
Technical Support: Larry Tustison, Email: larrytustison@sbcglobal.net
Webmaster: Royce Hildreth, Email: rhildreth@hildrethmedia.com
Newsletter Editor: Red Badgett, Email: redbadgett@sbcglobal.net
Newsletter Name: Vairmail
Email (Primary): redbadgett@aol.com
If you would like to contact the San Diego Corvair Club, please email Red Badget at redbadgett@aol.com

The S.D.C.C. meets at 7:00 pm, the second Thursday of each month at Jimmie Johnson Chevrolet in Kearny Mesa.
JJ Chevrolet is located at 7978 Balboa Ave., San Diego CA 92111

History of the San Diego Corvair Club (S.D.C.C.)

The San Diego Corvair Club (SDCC) was organized in August 1973 with 26 members. Jim Craig, being one of the pioneers of the Club, took the position of President (Pro Tem). The first election of Officers was in 1974. Jim Craig was elected President, Marsh Hesler Secretary-Treasurer, and Lew Richel Activities. The purpose of the San Diego Corvair Club is to encourage the preservation and enjoyment of the Corvair vehicle. Total membership was reported as 96, dues were $6.00, lined club jackets $10.00 (unlined $8.00), and the club treasury boasted $315.10. In 1978, the Club hosted the Corvair Society of America (CORSA) International Convention for Corvairs at the San Diego Convention Center. Many hours and a lot of work by the members of the SDCC helped make the Convention a great success. The Club was incorporated in the State of California as the San Diego Corvair Club on June 21, 1978. This corporation is organized under the General Nonprofit Corporation Law of the State of California. The Club is a chartered chapter of CORSA (#921), an association incorporated under the General Not-For-Profit Act of the State of Illinois on November 17, 1972. The Club is currently governed by ten board members: President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and Activities Vice President.

Due to the age of the Corvair automobile and the possibility of it breaking down when on the road, the Club thought it would be a good idea to have a vehicle that could be used to carry parts and tools for Corvairs. It would be used to go to all Club events and be available to help in the repair of any Corvair that might be in despair. Larry's Corvair Parts, Gardena, CA, donated a Corvair Van to the SDCC; this was converted by a group in the Club called the OF's into a rescue van called Rescue #921. The Van carries a variety of parts, new and used, and a wide variety of tools. The van is used at all functions of the SDCC and other functions such as local area conventions and other local club activities. The van has rescued many disabled corvairs that have broken down in one way or another.
bbodie52 wrote::goodpost: :ty: :woo:
Wow! After almost three years... a serious update!!

I have never heard of anti-seize compound being used in such a manner. I wonder if the silver-colored substance is some form of powdered metal from bearings or gears in the transaxle that are self-destructing. The accumulated metallic powder could be suspended in the lubricant and might resemble anti-seize compound. If the gear lubricant was running low that might have contributed to the transaxle's demise.

The throw out bearing "snout" can be damaged or cracked if the input shaft sticks in the clutch while physically separating the transaxle from the engine. The input shaft is over 23 inches long and splined at both ends, and can pull free from the transmission while remaining in the clutch disc. If the heavy transaxle is allowed to apply leverage, or lateral pressure on the input shaft, it can crack the "snout", which is only a machined casting and somewhat easy to damage. I suppose an unnoticed crack could develop into a fracture and broken component.

ImageImage
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=124

Part number C7463: THROW OUT BEARING SHAFT FOR 2 SEALS NEEDS(2)SEALS-60-63=C494,64-69=C495 & 1 C1179

Weight: 1 lbs 4 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 124(14),OT,26
Price: $ 48.75

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Corvair Forum mobile app

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”