How long to swap differential?

All Models and Years
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

How long to swap differential?

Post by 4carbcorvair »

Throwing some number out there, what do you think?

1 hour to remove drivetrain.
1 hour to swap differential, replace input seal.
1 hour to install drivetrain.
1/2 hour to fill up and check things over?

Sound abour right? More? Less?
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/
caraholic4life

Re: How long to swap differential?

Post by caraholic4life »

Those times would be OK if you were energetic and in your twenties or early thirties, the car had been apart in the past few years and you were very familiar with what you were doing. (Meaning you had done this several times before).

If the car has not been apart in several years, some of the bolts might be rusted and give you a run for your money.
The early cars and F.C. vehicles require removing the wheels and brake drums to get the axles out. This can take some time.
Late model cars 1966 and later have half shaft bolts that are easier to get to than most 1965's. Also the 1965 cars have a backup light switch that does not have a convenient plug. This requires taking the belly pan off and following the wires to their connection or cut the wires and splice them later. At this point I would guess most 65's do not have working backup lights and or the harness has already been cut.

Back in earlier day's (the late seventies) I once removed a drivetrain in under thirty minutes but I was energetic and much younger then. The car had also recently been apart, bolts were not rusted and the car was much newer too.

I would allow a full day to remove the drivetrain, make repairs and reinstall it. If you get done sooner consider it a bonus.

If you are looking to give an estimate for labor, I would probably say four or five hours flat rate minimum. JMO

Keep in mind that I have not done this procedure in over twenty years, the last Corvair engine swap I did was in my Kelmark Mid Engine V8 car and that was another ballgame alltogether.
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

Mid 30's, energetic, never really kept track of how long it took, except on one. I pulled one out of a parts car, rusty parts car, in about 45 min.

Yes, looking to figure out labor.

Thanks!!
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/
3000 cc vairdk

Post by 3000 cc vairdk »

HI----NEW IN FOREM, WANTED TO SAY THAT NOT IN A BAD WAY, IN 1978 I DID A PERSONAL PLATE ON MY
1965 CAR THAT SAID ( 4 CARBS ) WITH THE PLATE FRAME ON TOP SAID ( 65 CORVAIR ) AND ON THE BOTTOM
SAID ( NOT A TURBO ) FOR THE POOR PERSON I HAD JUST RUN OVER TO READ AS I HAD THEM IN A RACE, YOU
MAY WANT DO A FRAME ON YOUR CAR. I HAD 12 TO 1 CR--BORED LARGE CARBS ( 1-3/16 ) VENTURY--BIG CAM--
60 OVER - ETC. AND DOING CARBS AGAIN NOW RETIRED AND HEAD WORK AS SOMTHING TO DO. IAM IN CALIF,
AND IF INTERESTED IN BIG CARBS OR HEAD WORK DROP ME A LINE------ DAVID
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

Ronnie wrote >>>>Sound abour right? More? Less?<<<

Yea , half a day sounds about right if you're on a reasonable pace. Likely less if if you hustled and maybe more if you do something silly like break the T/O snout.

Good luck .
Attachments
1201.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”