Wheel Bearing Seals

All Models and Years
lalkie

Wheel Bearing Seals

Post by lalkie »

I am in the process of replacing the bearings on the rear wheels of my 65 Corsa and was wondering if anyone had part numbers for the inner and outer seals. I can purchase them from the Corvair houses but would perfer to purchase them locally. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Wheel Bearing Seals

Post by bbodie52 »

:wrench: It is a complex job that must be set up right. I personally would not attempt it, but instead would exchange the rear wheel bearing assemblies for remanufactured units from Clark's Corvair Parts. Clark's has 40 years of experience in supporting Corvairs throughout the world, and when they strongly recommend professionally rebuilt units, I see it as the voice of experience and not just a marketing promotion.

That being said, Clark's offers rebuild kits or individual parts. Finding the needed parts locally might be very difficult, even if you live in a major city. And Grand Junction, Colorado is a long way from a major city, so even if you find a local supplier and have the correct parts identification, it is unlikely they will have what you need in stock. A special order would probably be in order, so why not order from Clark's and get the correct items that you need in only a few days? Besides, Corvair owners depend on special Corvair parts suppliers to provide a means to keep our Corvairs alive. Supporting them as faithful customers keeps those Corvair specialty suppliers healthy, which is something we really depend on! Imagine trying to repair and maintain Corvairs without them!!

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=167
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
lalkie

Post by lalkie »

I was able to repair the drivers side rear wheel bearings on my 65 Corsa and will replace the passenger side later. The parts were about $75.00 for both sides. I had asked if anyone had seal numbers for the inner and outer seals. I ordered mine from Clark's. The seal numbers are SFK16757 inner SFK21650 Outer for anyone interested. I had to purchase a die ($18.00) to repair the threads on the spindle and had to make a flat plate from 3/16 steel to pull the yoke off and bent that as everything was real tight. You will need a press. I ended up with .0005 play in the assembly well within the factory specs. If I had easy access to the shims that are used I would have put about .003 pre load on the bearings. I appreciate the help I get from this site and the help from Clark's. Larry :wave:
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

lalkie wrote: I ended up with .0005 play in the assembly well within the factory specs.
do you mean .005? .0005 is too tight. the factory specs are .001 - .006
lalkie wrote: I would have put about .003 pre load on the bearings.
preload will kill the bearings. they need free play.

-Scott V.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”