HYDRO-ELECTRIC CONVERT TOP FAILURE

All Models and Years
FIRST64

HYDRO-ELECTRIC CONVERT TOP FAILURE

Post by FIRST64 »

Top raising function failed on my '64 today with top in the full down position. I've been poring over the shop manual and see that I need to disconnect the lifting ram to enable a manual lift of the top to further service the system however I can't get a clear understanding of how to access the ram. Rear seat back needs to come out but believe there are screws at the upper back which are buried under the folded top.

Is it possible to get to the rams with the seat back still in the car?
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: HYDRO-ELECTRIC CONVERT TOP FAILURE

Post by UNSAFE »

Hi and welcome .

I really don't know much about Early models or convertibles but here is some info that may help.

Click on page to enlarge.

viewtopic.php?f=177&t=5173
Attachments
Capturef.JPG
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
FIRST64

Post by FIRST64 »

Thanks for that, I had already run across it in my searches. Unfortunately it doesn't yield anything on the way to access the hydraulic rams. I think I'm stuck until I can get the seat back off but I need to lift the top manually to access seat back screws and the only way to manually lift is to disconnect the rams from the folding mechanism. It's appears to be something of a 'catch-22' situation.
FIRST64

Post by FIRST64 »

Progress has been made with a little help from Clark's Corvair. While I thought the armrest/side panels were secured at front and behind seat cushion this is not the case, only the four trim screws facing forward on the panels secure them. Once the screws are removed panels pull out exposing hydraulic pistons. Second misconception, there are no screws holding the seat back at the top, only two small trim screws on each side at the bottom of the cushion. Once screws are removed cushion lifts up and out having been anchored by 'hanging' on three sheet metal hooks on the bulkhead.

With side panels off lower bolt attaching piston can be removed. After doing this on both sides, and with the assistance of a second pair of hands, the top can be raised to half mast giving sufficient access to the upper piston mount bolt. Once the pistons are totally free the top can be manually moved to the full up position. In my case with the pistons out from under load I found that both would extend and retract however the one on the driver's side shuddered a bit and chattered some when extending. My estimate is that the driver side piston was failing to extend when trying to move the weight of the top (I was hearing the same chattering only louder when I attempted to raise the top before the tear down). This piston also appears to be original while the passenger side looks to have been replaced at some point.

Looks like next step is to replace piston, insure that system is full of proper fluid (seems to be lots of debate on what is proper on another forum), and reassemble.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Glad to hear of your success. It seems that you are becoming something of an expert in an area of Corvairs that is not well-known, and that is somewhat confusing even when guided by the shop manual!

Perhaps you can take some pictures and post them to clarify the areas that you found confusing before when trying to find guidance in the factory shop manual. I'm sure that some emergency procedures could save more than one owner who suffers a power top malfunction at a bad time (such as when it starts to rain). The ability to override a malfunctioning power top mechanism and to raise it manually can be a critical roadside repair to convertible owners!
:helpsos:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”