Exhaust extractors.

All Models and Years
cvair4life

Re: Exhaust extractors.

Post by cvair4life »

While this thread is pretty much over..... I love my "pencil tip" extractors... especially when I get into the gas while ramping onto the freeway. They do have that Porsche'y type sound which I like... it's crisp and brappity compared to stock dual 140 exhaust... I'm running it on my 110 with the header logs from my 140
1966 Corsa Coupe
mrtrimmier

Post by mrtrimmier »

Someone want to explain this extractor technology to me??? I'm having trouble with essentially twice as much exhaust system being better. How does it extract per se???
Regards,
Mike T
Port Royal SC
Camp Salerno Afghanistan
cvair4life

Post by cvair4life »

the way that it was explained to me:

The first chamber is an expansion chamber where the super heated exhaust will rapidly expand and time the expansion with the opening of the next set of valves to help "extract" the exhaust from that opening port.

Then it compresses through the pipes and expands into a second chamber to help keep sucking it down the exhaust and provide a second boost of vacuum pressure on the opening exhaust valves.

Not that I necessarily believe this principle... it seems to defeat the laws of motors (physics)... anybody else have a good answer to this?
1966 Corsa Coupe
JohnnyCorvair

Post by JohnnyCorvair »

The way it was explained to me: The longer headers or extractors give the uneven exhaust pulses somewhere to expand to other than pushing back up into the other cylinders exhaust ports, therefore allowing the exhaust to flow out easier, maybe even creating some suction to help pull it out. Really the same as above, but I have to see the youtube video's on exhaust pulses to understand it again, otherwise its just PFM making it work :-)
1962 Monza 900 Coupe
Jason R

Post by Jason R »

so is there an advantage to straight piping them all into a muffler? and then dumping them normally?
Owner of a 65 Monza 110,getting ready to be built up:-D
cvair4life

Post by cvair4life »

Jason R wrote:so is there an advantage to straight piping them all into a muffler? and then dumping them normally?
by all do you mean all 6 into 1 like the 110 came stock with?
1966 Corsa Coupe
Jason R

Post by Jason R »

sort of i was thinking something like that or simply dumping them out like individual runners and pipes
Owner of a 65 Monza 110,getting ready to be built up:-D
Ed in SC

Post by Ed in SC »

I put a set of used ones on my 140. They were a little to buzzy while cruising. I found a set of slim pipes/mufflers off a harley sportster at the flea market for 10 bucks. I then cut off the extractors about 5 inches past the last bend, turned the harley pipes around and slipped them on the extractors, tailpipe end first. mocked it up on the car and welded it up. cut the headpipes ( now the tailpipes ) even at he back. got some nice looking oval stainless tailpipes of a caddy ( 7 bucks for both at the local junkyard ) and welde them on to finish it up. Sounds awsome. This mod. also let me tuck the exhaust up in the body really nice ( I don't like the way the extractors hang under the car ) I will see if I can get a picture or to posted.

Ed in SC
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Yeah, I'd be interested in seeing what you did. Or even hearing it if you can make a video.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
cvair4life

Post by cvair4life »

Agree'd! Sounds like a good bit of trickery on that exhaust - but likely worth it!
1966 Corsa Coupe
mrtrimmier

Post by mrtrimmier »

Ed in SC wrote:I put a set of used ones on my 140. They were a little to buzzy while cruising. I found a set of slim pipes/mufflers off a harley sportster at the flea market for 10 bucks. I then cut off the extractors about 5 inches past the last bend, turned the harley pipes around and slipped them on the extractors, tailpipe end first. mocked it up on the car and welded it up. cut the headpipes ( now the tailpipes ) even at he back. got some nice looking oval stainless tailpipes of a caddy ( 7 bucks for both at the local junkyard ) and welde them on to finish it up. Sounds awsome. This mod. also let me tuck the exhaust up in the body really nice ( I don't like the way the extractors hang under the car ) I will see if I can get a picture or to posted.

Ed in SC

VIDEO! VIDEO! VIDEO!!!!
Regards,
Mike T
Port Royal SC
Camp Salerno Afghanistan

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”