Extravagant way to add oil axle?

All Models and Years
sunnybob

Extravagant way to add oil axle?

Post by sunnybob »

Hi there, I need to add some axle fluid to my little Corvair but I can't lift her keeping straight and parallel to the ground. So my question is: :redface: could I add some rear axle oil by the dipstick hole like we usually do for automatic transmission fluid? I know it will take some more time and a small funnel but will it pay off? Thank you.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Extravagant way to add oil axle?

Post by azdave »

Sure. Just do maybe a 1/2 pint at a time until it is indicating on the dipstick properly. I use a small funnel with a piece of soft clear vinyl tubing to join the dipstick tube and the funnel for a no-leak connection. I hang the funnel up on the deck lid using a small magnet and then after adding fluid let it drain for 20 minutes or so before another check with the dipstick.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
MonzaDave

Post by MonzaDave »

I use a squeeze bottle with a small plastic spout.
Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN
sunnybob

Post by sunnybob »

Thank you so much for answers :tu: . Last question: do you know how much fluid is needed to go from add to full, please?
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I want to say that is a pint, but, the correct way to fill the transaxle is too remove the fill plug and fill it until it flows out. leave your drain pan under it and re-install the plug when it stops dripping. Your check stick may or may not be particularly accurate. Once you have filled the transaxle correctly you can see where the stick reads and have a good reference from then on. It is easy to over or under fill the heavy 80w-90 gear oil. it takes a little while to seep around. So jack it up. Remove the plug. Set her down and put fluid in to tube until it leaks out the plug. Once it is done dripping jack car and re-install the plug.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”