The most basic corvair question

All Models and Years
groundloop

The most basic corvair question

Post by groundloop »

Newly united to Corvairs, with one reoccurring problem, "beltless embarrassment!" Who makes the best fan belts for corvairs? I always hear buy only high quality belts but what brand and what part number? Please advise, Russ.
terribleted

Re: The most basic corvair question

Post by terribleted »

I have had Zero problems with Clark's Corvair Parts "Ultimate " fan belt. Tension it right and its not coming off until is gets loose or wears out.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

:tu:
Attachments
corvair stuff 181.jpg
myhotrod

Post by myhotrod »

Over many years and many miles ,the Clarks belt is as good or better than the original GM belt that was replaced by belts much too shallow nor wrapped. Thanks for reading.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost: All of the above belt recommendations are good, but if you want to go a little farther to improve belt reliability on your Lakewood, check the condition of the main blower bearing and the idler pulley bearing. Also make sure the generator bearings are OK, and you might want to consider an upgrade to an alternator conversion at some point—especially if the generator ever gives you a reason to replace it.

The main improvement that came along in 1964 was the replacement of the heavy steel blower with a lightweight magnesium blower. The original heavy steel blower assembly tended to create a "flywheel effect". When the engine speed changes in the normal course of driving, the heavy, large diameter blower would tend to resist the speed change at the crankshaft pulley, "fighting" the change in RPM and then following the change in engine RPM somewhat reluctantly. This flywheel effect places added stress on the fan belt, sometimes causing the belt to flip or break. Also, never reuse a belt that has flipped. There are steel support strands embedded within the fan belt. These steel wire strands will often break internally, but the internal damage may not be visible when examining the outside of the belt. Reusing a belt that has flipped will likely result in it flipping again fairly quickly, since the internally damaged belt is much weaker and will stretch and flip if reused. Always keep one or two spare belts in the trunk as part of an emergency spares kit, along with the necessary tools and a shop manual to permit easy roadside repairs.
1964-1969 Lightweight Magnesium Blower
1964-1969 Lightweight Magnesium Blower
1964-1969 Magnesium Corvair Blower (Fan).jpg (6.05 KiB) Viewed 561 times
1961-1963 heavy Steel Blower Fan
1961-1963 heavy Steel Blower Fan
1961-1963 Steel Corvair Blower (Fan) 2.jpg (60.34 KiB) Viewed 561 times
Corvair Blower Fan Designs
Corvair Blower Fan Designs
Note: If you decide to buy a used magnesium blower fan for your Lakewood, be sure to buy the 1964 unit that is correctly sized for your Early Model fan hub.

Clark's Corvair Parts Part number CU70: USED 64 MAG BLOWER FAN - FITS 61-64 HAS 5/16" BOLT HOLES IF 1/4" THEN ITS 65-69

Weight: 4 lbs 0 oz
Catalog Pages(s): U,2(13)
Price: $ 48.00

A correctly tensioned belt will permit a small amount of pulley slippage at the alternator/generator pulley when you apply firm hand pressure to the pulley fan.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=14

Part number C5790: WRAPPED FAN BELT-CLARKS-BEST PULLEY WRENCH=C3773

Weight: 1 lbs 0 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 14,OT,16
Price:
1 - 1 $ 11.00
2 - 8 $ 9.90
9+ $ 9.00

TIP: Plan your orders and combine all of your needs into a single bulk order. If you order spare fan belts, a year's supply of oil filters, etc. you will save significantly in shipping charges instead of a "pay as you go" approach with ordering only single items one at a time.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
groundloop

Post by groundloop »

Rippin answer Brad! Dave Motohead was at the scene and recommended new idler and blower bearings, he didn't like the wobble in my alternator pulley either. My Lakewood already has an alternator with a mag blower (2 carb 140 mtr). The bearings and 2 clarks belts are on order but the wobble remains unaddressed. I just noticed today the offending belt was a clarks belt "snapped right in half" (I couldnt find the master link anywhere). The belt didn't seem too tight before, that's why I ask my question, thought I might use the new clark belts as spares but they seem very popular on these forums. You make an interesting point about a fan belts history, when I got the car I noticed the belt retainers were all mokoed up from an evident hardship so I straightened and readjusted them, so maybe that belt was of quality but had a couple of rough trips before my ownership thus parting company with its infinitive self.
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

Hey Russ! I remember now! lol you want a Wraped 3/8" wide belt,I prefer a standard wraped 3/8" non nothched belt, straight pulley's and good bearings are a must,the pic of the belt wrapper is the local parts store belt,I also use other brands but all 3/8",if you look at the pic's I am posting,the first pic is of a belt to wide and it rides above the top of the pulley,This belt will catch the edges and flip out of the pulley and be a gonner,the second pic is the correct belt that rides below the top of the pulley,this belt will stay put and not flip out of the groove and cause problems,when idler or fan/alt bearings go bad and spin easy when cold or make noise they sieze up when hot and break belts,corvair engines need to have bearings and belts in good working order and the correct size and then they are not a problem. :tu:
Attachments
corvair stuff 376.jpg
corvair stuff 377.jpg
groundloop

Post by groundloop »

Thanks Dave, You are my knight in "dry rust free desert" armor!

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”