Radiator placement.

All Models and Years
Vanman

Radiator placement.

Post by Vanman »

Not planning on doing anything of such, my engine is running good right now. But just wondering if you were to do water pumper conversion on a Brier or Corvan were would you put the radiator? In the interest of keeping keeping as much of the interior as useful as possible. I realize the rear cover would have to be raised as it is. My thought was if you used a aluminum Buick engine with reverse rotation, no major mods would be neccesary, such as going mid mount.

Just thinking out loud. My mind tends to wander, and I like more modern, or dependable power plants that can put out power at a decent price.
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
bjbuchanan

Re: Radiator placement.

Post by bjbuchanan »

Idk I'm not gonna attack you on it but in general the corvair powerplant is the way to go. The buick/land rover has been done but those small v8 's only have about sixty cubes over the vair powerplant not to mention the serious ducting you have to do for the radiator to cool the engine. A good source for cams is apparently marine websites or so I have been told, i.e. rewound starters, alternators, reverse rotation cams. The buick 215 is nothing special and my father in law is a land rover master technician and doesn't have many flattering things to say about the engine. Try ducting cooler air, run a pertronix ignitor II and maybe rejetting the carburetors for a little fatter curve but I don't know your tune. If you aren't shy to swapping engines then drop the vair motor out for a 140 maybe or just drop it and throw in a slightly bigger cam
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

Yeah Vanman -- forget the V8 and put a fire breathing big bore corvair engine in Sancho and you'll have more than enough power.

Probably many ways to do the rad if serious including possibly flat underneath with ducting.
Attachments
68paddywagon.jpg
68paddywagon.jpg (34.77 KiB) Viewed 666 times
0503cct_02_z+1962_corvair_bmp.jpg
a funnycar Mystery Mover FC wheelie.jpg
dragtruck2.jpg
dragtruck2.jpg (160.06 KiB) Viewed 666 times
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

bjbuchanan wrote:Idk I'm not gonna attack you on it but in general the corvair powerplant is the way to go. The buick/land rover has been done but those small v8 's only have about sixty cubes over the vair powerplant not to mention the serious ducting you have to do for the radiator to cool the engine. A good source for cams is apparently marine websites or so I have been told, i.e. rewound starters, alternators, reverse rotation cams. The buick 215 is nothing special and my father in law is a land rover master technician and doesn't have many flattering things to say about the engine. Try ducting cooler air, run a pertronix ignitor II and maybe rejetting the carburetors for a little fatter curve but I don't know your tune. If you aren't shy to swapping engines then drop the vair motor out for a 140 maybe or just drop it and throw in a slightly bigger cam

You didnt read my post, Im just thinking out loud. I probably wouldnt do it, but I just like contemplating different things. Hell I get shit just for having a different vehicle (my van) from the car guys I know. LOL. Just having some fun. Maybe a 3800 would be a good option.

I like having the Vair engine, and if I could just get it to run smooth, which I will I would be perfectly happy with it. I didnt get a van to drag race everyone, but the thought of more power and dependebility sounds great.
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
bjbuchanan

Post by bjbuchanan »

You didnt read my post, Im just thinking out loud. I probably wouldnt do it, but I just like contemplating different things. Hell I get shit just for having a different vehicle (my van) from the car guys I know. LOL. Just having some fun. Maybe a 3800 would be a good option.

I like having the Vair engine, and if I could just get it to run smooth, which I will I would be perfectly happy with it. I didnt get a van to drag race everyone, but the thought of more power and dependebility sounds great.[/quote]

I get you completely on the thinking outloud aspect. Everybody around where I am from wish i had just stuck to thinking outloud about buying my vair then i came back with a rusty green thing. Lots can be done and has been done check out corvaircorsa.com there is a huge section covering everything from a v12, to watercooled v6's. Its a cool resource

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”