Torkwrencher

Broken? parts 63 700 84 hp

Post by Torkwrencher »

Crack at mounting post
Crack at mounting post
Crack at mounting post
Crack at mounting post
IMG_6866.JPG
So, I am working on getting the engine cleaned up and going over all the parts/pieces and details. Check the photos on the thermostats, one has a crack in the solder going all the way around. Is this a critical flaw? Can it be soldered back together without destroying the whole thing or is this a non fatal, it should be okay for another 20k miles kind of flaw? The next broken item is the choke pull off, it snapped off right above the connector for the lower choke rod, it is very small so I doubt I can drill and tap it out and don't have a welder to plop a bead on the top of it. Clark's is out of stock for the 63 style and apparently the 64+ style requires replacement of the actual choke coil...So does anyone have a 63 style rod or a full 64+ rod and choke coil? Next broken item, while cleaning the head studs in preparation to replace o-rings, valve cover gaskets and pan gasket, I noticed that all of the protruding threads on one of the studs is gone. Will have to replace at least this one stud. The question on this: "Keep Your Corvair Alive Book" and numerous other posts say not to let the studs turn out of the block. Is it okay to spin this stud out by itself using the rusty nut or should I split the nut and vice grip out the remaining stud when it has no load on it?

Here is the history
1963 700
61k miles
Sitting since 1981
84 hp engine, I don't think it has ever been apart or touched it is very dirty.
Attachments
Broken choke rod
Broken choke rod
Broken Stud
Broken Stud
Broken Stud
Broken Stud
1963 700 Coupe, 61,000 original miles
Restoration begun in 1979, on hold since 1983
"'Rare' means nobody wanted it when it was new."

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”