Cntr Mnt 4 bbl - throttle cable hook up?

All Models and Years
Mike J

Cntr Mnt 4 bbl - throttle cable hook up?

Post by Mike J »

Hey guys. I have a center mounted 4 bbl carb on my Corsa ... I'm trying to figure out how to hook up the throttle cable at the linkage side under the car. I have 2 pics with an idea.

Does this look like it might work? I also noticed the factory bracket sits flat with the pedal up.

Give me some "simple" ideas if you have them. My fab. tools are "very limited" to work with. But I am headed out to the local (40 miles away) metal house to pick up some scraps to see what I can build.

Also, keep in mind that the cable is fairly short and I will probably mounting it to work from the top down ...

Thx ..... :not worthy:
Attachments
Cbl 2.jpg
Cbl 3.jpg
Luke Geis

Re: Cntr Mnt 4 bbl - throttle cable hook up?

Post by Luke Geis »

I had a similar set up once before. The way I came at it was a little more direct. Instead of using the current mechanism I ran the cable to come off of the actuator rod assembly. Basically I removed the current rod that is being pulled in the shot you have above, and just had the cable in it's place. So when you push down on the accelerator pedal it pulls the cable. I found I didn't need to long of a cable to do it since now it would run up and in through the same hole as the stock set up. It took careful adjustment to be sure it went full throttle, since pull ratios were messed with. But once it was dialed in and everything worked out the gas pedal felt just like a modern car.
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

Thanks Luke.
I've got it figured out. I bent a thing piece of metal today and marked out a pattern. I'll cut it out and bend it tomorrow and get that part out of the way. It will definetly have full throttle too.
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

Thanks guys. I've got it done. A bit ugly and over done, but the kid came over to help today so that knocks one more thing off the list.
Attachments
001 [640x480].JPG
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Now THAT's where the reverse light switch belongs, where only stupidity (I have plenty of that) knocks the pins off, not pointing straight down out of the bottom of the tranny!!
Phil Dally

Post by Phil Dally »

Morse cable set-up on my racecar.

Goes all the way into the tunnel.

Uses both factory accelerator boots.

Heim jointed at both ends.

Made steel bushing at tunnel bell crank end

Route any direction in engine compartment.

Ran center mount 4-leg with same cable.
Attachments
morse.jpg
morse.jpg (48.35 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
morse2.jpg
morse2.jpg (68.69 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
morse3.jpg
morse3.jpg (49.63 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
CA Central Coast
Vairy V8 Rides Again.
LA Angels fan since 1978
World Series Champs 2002
Only Own 10 Corvairs Today
Been Associated With Fifty!!
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

When I briefly tried a centermount carb I used all mechanical linkage . I made a bracket similar to Clark's and added some length to the stock linkage.

With my webers I am planning on using a Morse cable but I plan on going clear up to the pedal and eliminating all of the stock stuff except the actual pedal. Morse makes so many cable ends and brackets it should be easy and we do have plenty of boating suppliers up here that finding parts should be easy.

I thought about a fancy racing cable pedal from Summit but the price and added weight don't seem worth it compared to the stock pedal. My carb linkage will accept push or pull type.

It's amazing how much the stack of linkages can add up to pedal resistance. My carbs open freely but I had to brace the floor under the back seat to prevent the floor from flexing and not allowing full throttle. I welded a small piece of angle iron to the floor and that fixed it. This is a solid no rust floor but it was still flexing.
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

True statement guys about the Morse cable set ups. You can go anywhere you want. Since I'm not sure about the single 4 bbl thing, I wanted something (bolt on) that could easily go back to stock if needed. All I have to do is remove the cable bracket (2 bolts) and the extension for the cable (another 2 bolts) and pop on the stock throttle rod into the engine compartment and BAMB it's done.

I know it's not as trick or clean as the other ways of set ups, but it works for me. I have no real tools or access to real tools these days. So I'm thinking it will work for now. It does have full throttle movement so I'm okay with that. And really, when is the last time someone actually climbed under your car to check out your set up? lol.
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

Phil, your set up looks great. If I had the time & materials (plus money) I might have gone that way. I would have liked to have made it down to the tunnel to remove 1 more piece of the stock linkage, but would have needed a longer cable ... they go from 48" (mine) to 72" and that would have been way too much. ;-)

I also can't wait to see your car hit the 160 mph mark this year Phil. Maybe one of these days I'll get down to El Mirage ... which is a day trip each way for me.
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

Well, took the car out today and not happy with the throttle cable set up. Hey PHIL !!! Do you get full throttle out of your set up? I'm getting 80% but my pedal is stiff and unresponsive so it's making it difficult to drive.

I'll look at it again when I can get a chance.
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

Hey PHIL .... thanks for the pictures ... do you get full throttle with that set up to the linkage rod under the car?
Phil Dally

Post by Phil Dally »

OH YAAAAAAA!!!!
CA Central Coast
Vairy V8 Rides Again.
LA Angels fan since 1978
World Series Champs 2002
Only Own 10 Corvairs Today
Been Associated With Fifty!!
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

Cool. I guess it's time to take some more measurements and get me another cable ..... I like your set up then. Maybe my pedal will be smoother too?

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”