Fuel injected, blown Corvair

All Models and Years
DrMike

Fuel injected, blown Corvair

Post by DrMike »

I've got a 4.3 throttle body injector on the 1966 Monza 140, serviced by a Wynjammer SuperCharger. We're still cutting out all of the east coast rot, but progressing nicely. The car has a lot of quirks, but am working them out one by one.

Mike McCrae
Attachments
bb4c_3.jpg
bfb9_3.jpg
DSC03511.JPG
DSC03509.JPG
miniman82

Re: Fuel injected, blown Corvair

Post by miniman82 »

Details man, we need details!
Click it!
bjbuchanan

Post by bjbuchanan »

Details would be great and yeah that east coast rot is something i have literally all the same rust spots
DrMike

Post by DrMike »

...basically, the engine stripped the 3.55 R/P, so a 3.08 was added to try and gain control. When i get the lower windshield strip welded in, and it stops raining, I'll again take it out and see what's going on. The S/C blew out the bonnet seal, so have a different type ordered from Wynjammer that should be more effective.
This car drives like you always wanted your 140 to drive........

Mike
bjbuchanan

Post by bjbuchanan »

DrMike wrote:...basically, the engine stripped the 3.55 R/P, so a 3.08 was added to try and gain control. When i get the lower windshield strip welded in, and it stops raining, I'll again take it out and see what's going on. The S/C blew out the bonnet seal, so have a different type ordered from Wynjammer that should be more effective.
This car drives like you always wanted your 140 to drive........

Mike
Yeah i can imagine the bit of extra torque offered on top the already seemingly nice 140 engine must be great. I am real curious about the efi approach you took and if there was a particular reason you chose what you did. I am gonna megasquirt my corvair and am worried about fuel separation issues with such a long intake
TonyL
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TonyL »

Very very cool. Almost exactly what I planned to do. Whats the throttle body off of? What are you using to control it? Compression? Cooling mods?
Pro-touring 66 Corvair Monza
Got an FQuick account yet? Get one! it's like Facebook for your car!
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

vvvvvvvvvairy cool ! :chevy:
ScottS
1966 Corvair Monza
1969 Corvair Monza
1966 Corvair Corsa

Western Reserve, Ohio

http://www.vaircooled.com
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

TonyL wrote:Whats the throttle body off of?
DrMike wrote:I've got a 4.3 throttle body

:welcome2:

:rolling:
Click it!
TonyL
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TonyL »

miniman82 wrote:
TonyL wrote:Whats the throttle body off of?
DrMike wrote:I've got a 4.3 throttle body

:welcome2:

:rolling:
I want the exact make and model engine it came off of is all. There are lots of different 4.3 engines with LOTS of different throttle bodies.
More important is how is the injection system being controlled?
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

Actually, there are very few different throttle bodies. The same throttle body is used for the 4.3, 5.0 and 5.7's. Only difference is the injectors. Unless you are referring to the CPI, Vortec, TPI, etc.... throttle bodies. Than yes, there are quite a few. 454's use a larger TB. I've done quite a bit of research on TB's over the past few years before putting a TBI 350 in my Jeep. My original plan was to install a TBI on the AMC 360 engine I had in the Jeep. That engine needed a rebuild, I was able to pick up a good running complete TBI 350 for $200 as the guy wanted it gone. Quite a few used the same 7747 computer with the only differece being the PROM and CAL pak. GM TBI's are a wonderful thing. Quite simple and very dependable. :)
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/
DrMike

Post by DrMike »

This is the stock computer box.......

Mike
Attachments
DSC03323.JPG
DrMike

Post by DrMike »

I purchased this car from an owner back east. He promised there was no rot at all and there were no problems with the paint. When the car arrived, the front windshield was broken, and the four corners were held together by paint and bondo alone. I called the owner and perhaps was a little disrespectful of him, but he refused to answer any of my questions regarding the car and won't take any further calls.....I paid an extremely good price.
The bottom line is that his electrical and mechanical work was reasonably well thought out, but not well executed. I still have a good car now, and his initial thinking was sound. I'm now in the process of reverse engineering this whole project and improving upon what was already laid down. Al at Wynjammer superchargers has been very helpful, and has turned me on to a system using wide band O2 aensors only as a control device....this will probably be stage two on this project.

Mike
Attachments
DSC03327.JPG
DSC03319.JPG
DSC03317.JPG
TonyL
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TonyL »

Ohhhh. You bought it this way?

I thought you did the work. Interesting that he's used the stock computer. Im real curious how that was done, since it'd be looking for signals that just arent there. he had to have had the prom flashed or something im guessing. Still, it's impressive to say the least. Almost exactly as I want to do mine. Except I'd be using a four barrel throttlebody (this one.) Retrotek

Since all the hard work and computer is all integrated in the kit.

Yours shows that where there is a will there's a way!
DrMike

Post by DrMike »

No, ....in all my years, I've stuck with carbs and turbos......this was a way to jump start me into the electronic age, and it worked. I believe the Retrotek starts with a 750 cfm unit don't they.....aren't worried about bottom end control, or is that my carburetor past still annoying me.....?

Mike
TonyL
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TonyL »

I believe so. But Im not worried about it since it will program itself to suit the needs of the engine it's attached to. It'll just never see its full real potential LOL that, or i have to build a really stout vair motor.
DrMike

Post by DrMike »

Tony, what size tires and rims are you using on your car....they look great....also, got to my website if you want to see some of the projects I HAVE done http://picasaweb.google.com/snjpilot69

Best wishes, Mike

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”