Loer Control Arm Bushings, and other added thoughts

All Models and Years
RAV_AIR

Loer Control Arm Bushings, and other added thoughts

Post by RAV_AIR »

Is it feasible that the biggest factors in the "sloshy" nature of my car's rear end is needing new shocks and the lower control arm bushings being quite deteriorated? I mean would that 'do it'?

Also, the grease I used in my steering box rebuild is coming out of the box. Does all different kinds eventually do this, or should I find something better? Richard, do you have any clues?

Goddamn car...I just can't leave it alone and I don't want to get rid of the damn thing. I've like 20 percent of mind to take a few grand, prep it myself, do some body work, and bring it to a shop with a couple grand and say "here, paint this." Conceivably, I could have them rock guard the bottom four inches, undercoat it, and have a nice bc/cc applied and drive it for another 20 years.

Ugh.

P.S. I tried to post this on the "other" forum under two different browsers and screen names and it wouldn't work, even after completely erasing my history. STUPID!
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Loer Control Arm Bushings, and other added thoughts

Post by 4carbcorvair »

Yes, those two could cause the squishy/loose/sloshy rear end feel.

Lower control, I'm assuming you are talking about the rods from the trailing arm and mount to the trans/diff? If so, I did nylon on the inners, rubber on the outer. Tightened her up quite a bit.

I used an Amsoil synthetic grease in my steering box. No leakage. If what you used is too thin, it will leak out. Any type of gear oil will definately not stay in due to bushing design. The bushings have grooves to allow the greese to flow.
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/
RAV_AIR

Post by RAV_AIR »

I'll have to go buy some from my Amsoil dealer. :-)

gonna change out the rear end stuff hopefully soon.

Might try and wheel and deal myself into a nicely kept up Suzuki Forenza from a friend (more a wife's friend).
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

Ravvy - if the rear of your car feels "sloshy" it may just be the wheel alignment and not actually worn parts. The rear alignment is critical on a Corvair and if it's not pretty close the car will wander and the rear will feel "sloshy".
When my old blue 67 was out of alignment it was downright scary to drive on ice or slippery surfaces. The rear end would wander back and forth and it felt like it was ready to swap ends at any moment.

You have the eccentric at the outer strut end to adjust the camber but you also have the slotted toe adjusters at the front of the trailing arms. If the toe setting is off the car will feel "sloshy" .

The steering lube is more like a wheel bearing grease than an oil. I tried some oily type grease once and it leaked right out.
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
RAV_AIR

Post by RAV_AIR »

I used this https://www.corvette-paragon.com/p-3598 ... icant.aspx steering box lube. it came in white bottles, not yellow, but same stuff. White and very creamy.

Is that Penrite stuff i see people talking about any good?
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

Ryan - I think the lube that you are using is too thin . A quick search finds it also recommended for the lower unit on an outboard boat motor. That's too runny and it will leak out.

What you want to use is a grease like you would use to lube the chassis with. A thicker non runny grease like you would use in a grease gun.

The 65 shop manual says to use "chassis grease" .

I bought an NOS quick box once and it had a thick grease in it from the factory. It would not pour or flow at all at room temp.

The factory steering blueprint says to use 9oz SSG code 4009 grease. If you overfill it that may cause it to leak no matter what lubericant you use.

You likely don't need anything too fancy for the steering grease. Too thick and it may be hard to steer when really cold out tho.
Attachments
scan0422.jpg
scan0423.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”