Time serts or Heli coil?

All Models and Years
Vanman

Time serts or Heli coil?

Post by Vanman »

Posted this on another forum also, just looking for input.

Found a stripped out spark plug hole yesterday. Im not freakin out, Im not. LOL.

So question is do I rent the tools from Clarks and just do all the holes with a Time sert?

Or do I get a heli coil kit from my flaps and do the stripped out one at the same cost as above?

Thanks, Kevin
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
Vanman

Re: Time serts or Heli coil?

Post by Vanman »

P.S. Trying not to tear down the engine.
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Try tapping it with grease and using a helicoil first, then if that doesn't work pull the head and it's time for the timesert (or another head).
Click it!
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

No threads even there! I saw 2 left down there, and above that was smooth, and larger diameter. I am familiar with stripped threads, not so much on heads though, and heat adds a whole different dimension.

SO if I do rent the tools to do the timeserts, I would think it would be worth the effort to do all of them correct? Even though the rest arent stripped. As a preventetive measure.
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

I re read your response, and Im thinking the heli coil is the way to go, one and done for now. If I need to progress from there then I will. And then I will have the kit to do any others in the future.
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
TonyL
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TonyL »

start with a heli, then timesert if that fails. That's what i did. then, when the sert blows out the side of your engine, send it off to levair to get welded up and rethreaded. (also like i did. LOL)
Pro-touring 66 Corvair Monza
Got an FQuick account yet? Get one! it's like Facebook for your car!
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

Nice, now Im in a vicious circle. lol.
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

Found a kit at Autozone for $29.99! Best price I saw.

So as I understand, when installing you cut off the tang, and run it in with the plug itself? Any thoughts on using red locktite on the insert?
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

Ok time to return the heli kit. I bought a "perma plug" kit from Pep boys. Same price. But its a solid steel insert you tap the head for and screw it in, then us a special punch to set the top into the head, the threads are serated up at the top so it digs into the head when you do that. Keeps it from dropping or unscrewing. Will post some pics soon.
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

Crappy cell pics of the kit.

Solid inserts. Not wire like a heli coil. The parts guy kept saying they only had Heli coils there at Pep boys, I finaly found them next to the Heli coils. Similar, but not realy.

Tap out hole with step tap. Follow the instuctions stated by everyone about greasing the tap. Found that it seems to work pretty good if you fill the valleys of the tap it will catch quite a bit.

I've installed the plug and insert per instructions tonight and ran out of time. Had my son's diorama to finish. I will finish tommorow, I hope.
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

I've only had to fix a Vair plug hole once. I bought the KD brand kit with the tap. Back then it was about 30 bucks but that was over 20 years ago. The insert I used had the spark plug seat built into it so it raised the plug up a little. It didn't seem to affect how it ran and the insert lasted forever.

I still have that dang tap but I haven't used it for spark plug holes since about 1989.

It does make a great Corvair pilot bushing remover tho !
Attachments
scan0413.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

Lol, at least its good for something.

Got this finished up yesterday. Instructions said to use high temp RTV, didnt work. Ended up using red loctite, otherwise everytime I would go to pull the plug it would pull the insert with it. I tried to hand tighten it, but the insert wouldnt seat all the way, but it would stay. But in the end red loctite saved the day.

Still have a tick though. Would have had to pull the plugs anyway, I have a thing with thinking no one else can gap a plug correctly, probably cause most people cant. lol. Plus it was good to see it was running rich.

Hope this info helps people that may have this occur.
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

P.S.

Didnt vacum the shavings in the cylinder. I just left em. I was pretty anal about using grease to catch as much of them as I could. Filled the valleys on the tap to catch the shavings, cleaned the tap after every 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Saw some shavings in the cylinder, but I have the figure they got sucked out on the first fire, and are sitting pretty in my Cherry bomb. lol.
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Thanks for keeping us posted :tu:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”