No running lights

All Models and Years
Vanman

No running lights

Post by Vanman »

Got a prob. I have running lights with the switch pulled to the first detent. Then with the headlights on I have no running lights, neither front or back. I recently replaced the connector at the headlight switch, but the problem was there before I did that (I replaced it cause the plastic part was brittle and falling apart) I cut the wires and soldered them one by one, and used heat shrink to insulate them. I did have one wire connector pull from the newer plug, but I bent the tab out and put it back in where it came from. I also tried another switch just to see if it was the switch, no luck, same issue. Anyone got any ideas as to where to look? My turn sig switch is working good also, it wasnt till I took it apart and cleaned the contacts, now its working great, just have to get a cancel cam, and lever to hook them all up.

Thanks in advance for any info, Kevin
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: No running lights

Post by 4carbcorvair »

Thats the way GM made them. Parking lights off when headlights on. By moving the wire for the parking lights to a different position on the back of the headlight switch, you can have parking lights on all the time. I don't recall which position you need to move it to.
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

Its normal to have the headlights on and no rear lights at all?

What wire do I move, and to where, I figure the running lights to the head lights, but not sure. I have a Manual so if thats it I could probably do it pretty easily.

I dont mind electrical to much, I specialize in repair of power wheelchairs (24v, 40 to 60amp).
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

My bad for not reading the entire post.

Fronts should go off with headlights on. Rears should be on all the time. Have you checked the grounds for the tail lights? The housing grounds to the rear panel with it's mounting screws. I would test your wires with a test light to see if you have power. If not, check the main connector in the engine compartment and work your way back to the switch.
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

I havent checked my ground yet, I will when I get home. Just seems odd that they work without the lights on but not with them on, gounds can be funny like that though I guess, maybe the larger amp draw stealing the power since theres not a good ground.

Wonder if the rear lights might be connected in the wrong position on the switch also, something else to check.

I understand about the fronts though now, thanks, and I suppose I could change that also if I wanted to.
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

Had to have been the ground, works now.

Thanks for the input.
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
atwistedgrip
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by atwistedgrip »

It bugged the crap out of me that my front amber running lights would turn off when the head lights were on... so I switched the purple wire on the switch. Stays on now and looks much better to me.
I'm toying with the idea of DRL's now.
Gary
Sun City is now Menifee, CA
CORSA member
IECC member

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”