Dependable turbo engine.

All Models and Years
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Dependable turbo engine.

Post by 4carbcorvair »

For the sake of discussion. What would be your ideal dependable daily driver turbo engine?

I'm thinking stock engine, stock turbo and a 2bbl carb. Possibly a wastegate/and/or blow-off valve.

Not looking at gaining performance. Definately looking at dependability and fuel mileage.

Thoughts? :rafman:
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/
miniman82

Re: Dependable turbo engine.

Post by miniman82 »

If you're not looking to increase power, there's no point in swapping out the carb. You'd do better to just run a bone stock 180, and put your time and effort into making the system work better all around. I found massive potential in upgrading the ignition to something that will give it what it wants, instead of the 'it works....sometimes' stock setup. Once the ignition is set up, you should put a wideband O2 sensor in the car and play with the jetting/rod to optimize fuel economy and power.

Through playing with my car, I can tell you that the carb easily runs the engine 2 points too rich at just about every operating condition (especially coasting in gear). I suspect this was intentionally done by the factory, to keep everything safe. Once you get a handle on tuning though, you can pull out quite a bit of fuel and still be safe. To some extent draw through systems HAVE to be rich, due to the simple fact that the intake tract is very long and some fuel will invariably fall out of suspension. But 9:1 AFR is too rich for just about any engine, it should be closer to 12.5:1 with the ignition dialed in under boost.

Once those 2 things are done, you should have a car that runs exactly as it should. It will return good economy, and drive all day long at 10 PSI boost without missing a beat. Don't forget a big oil cooler if you beat on it like I do though, I can tell you for a fact that you'll cook the oil in short order with a 12-plate if you beat on it.
Click it!
manxrob

Post by manxrob »

I'm new to turbos. I re-discovered Corvair power several years when I restored an old Meyers dune buggy with a stock 140 in it. Great retro fun! I don’t beat on it, but it sure scoots when the go pedal is floored.

I do have a 180 turbo engine sitting on the garage floor though, destined for a fresh (street) dune buggy build. The stock carb is gone, replaced by a Weber. I’m going to upgrade the ignition to modern multi-coil electronic (EDIS).

What kind of fuel mileage could I expect in a late stock 'vair at 60 MPH cruise with a stock 180, and one modified per Miniman’s suggestions.

I understand the concept that heat kills motor-oil quickly, and that the oil is also critical to the cooling of Corvair and other air cooled engines. I was wondering if the after market aluminum finned oil pans and valve covers have much effect on keeping the oil temperatures down, or is the same money better spent on an external oil cooler?

What other reliability modifications are common these days for a 45 + year old Corvair turbo engine?

Rob
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Rob,

It's not as much of a requirement for you, since you'll be pushing around a light buggy not a heavy car. You can probably get away with a 12-plate and aluminum sump all day long and not run into trouble, it's the guys with full size cars that tax the engine on boost.

As for mileage, my 180 got 16-18 on a good day not beating on it. There's a lot more in it than that, but it would take a lot of hard work and seat time with a wideband to get right. Without programmable ignition, don't even think about it.
Click it!

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”