4 Speed Transmission Issues

All Models and Years
pjofcgbc

4 Speed Transmission Issues

Post by pjofcgbc »

Hey Guys, I just bought a 1963 Corvair. As I was moving it around yesterday I noticed that when I tried to back it up my driveway it would pop out of reverse. It only happens when driving up an incline. Is this a sign of needing a rebuild or might there be something simpler to look at? Also would you reccomend rebuilding (if necessary) or buying a used transmission from corvair ranch (quoted 225). Thanks for your help and advice.
pjofcgbc

Re: 4 Speed Transmission Issues

Post by pjofcgbc »

Sorry, I Forgot to mention that the shifter is also very sloppy in all gears.
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Unless it's not able to fully go into reverse because of that slop issue......might wanna attack that first.
pjofcgbc

Post by pjofcgbc »

Thanks for the response flat6 is there any place in particular to start with the slop issue.
PHX65CorsaHT

Post by PHX65CorsaHT »

New shims top and bottom of the shifter plate. Made my own out of plexiglass using a stock plastic one as a template. Not positive its the same setup on an early mine is a late model. Don't spend money until you spend time underneath looking over the linkage. It will not be money well spent, the linkages on these car need periodic attention and maintenance from normal wear and tear. If you do it once and do it well most likely won't need to be done again as long as you own the car.
Cave Creek AZ---75 Datsun PU, 82 Toyota Supra, 70 Nova,
65 Chevy PU, 72 Suburban,
96 4Runner, 06 Sequoia, 65 Corvair Coupe
RedLightBrew

Post by RedLightBrew »

Get under the car and remove the panels down the middle. This will allow you to see what you need to see. Here is a conversation I had recently about my early model 4speed:

"Gregory_Miller wrote:
Since your shifter is "hunting", you should also get the shifter shaft bushing kit from Clark's... requires removing shifter shaft from vehicle and installing bronze bushings to replace the plastic ones that failed 35 or more years ago.
On page 115 of their online catalog, item #11, since you have an early model, they are nylon, not bronze like LM peeps get.

RedLightBrew said:
Yep! Great! Already ordered #11, 15, 16 & 18 and they should be here tomorrow. The coupler (#18) holes are HUGE, and oval shaped, compared to the pin, so I went ahead and ordered it all! Just have to get the shifter shaft seal on the way and hopefully that issue will be behind me."

Hope it helps a little.

Adam
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

If the engine mounts are badly worn, that can cause shifting issues as well. Mine was really bad when I got it, the bushings holding the trans were shot and it was sagging really bad.
Click it!
PHX65CorsaHT

Post by PHX65CorsaHT »

First off I a big fan of Clarks and have ordered from them 4-5 times and am very happy with them. On the shift rod tube issue I feel there is a better way to go and cheaper and easier and no mods needed to be made to stock tube etc. 3/4" copper pipe from home depot. Cut 1/4" long each end and bent over using ball peen hammer round end and tap with another hammer. It holds it tight and works as a bushing on each end. Clean tube real well and lube outside of copper and it slides in perfect. My vair shifts so nice nice now I can't believe it. Again my car is LM and my be some differences, I don't know earlies well. Been a crovair owner for 18 months and I love it, but be patient and go thru things one step at time. It will be worth it!
Attachments
DSC09256.JPG
Cave Creek AZ---75 Datsun PU, 82 Toyota Supra, 70 Nova,
65 Chevy PU, 72 Suburban,
96 4Runner, 06 Sequoia, 65 Corvair Coupe
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Sweet! :not worthy:
emceebrooks

Post by emceebrooks »

Guys,

This post is quite old, but I have a 64 4 Speed convertible and it's having the same issue-- it's a BEAR to get it into reverse, and it pops out of gear when reversing up hills. The other gears shift ok (granted, this is the only Corvair I've ever driven so not quite sure what to expect). Where would you start in diagnosing this? Look at the linkages underneath? then shims, bushing kit? Thanks in advance,
Marcus Brooks
Columbus, OH / Orlando, FL

'64 Monza Convertible
Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=115

I would start with items 15 and 18. 18 can be repaired by welding the holes shut and redrilling. Although the drill size is a bit strange. I also weld the pin solid in the coupler to take out that sloop.
emceebrooks

Post by emceebrooks »

Super, I’ll give it a shot. Thanks!
Marcus Brooks
Columbus, OH / Orlando, FL

'64 Monza Convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”