Speaker size? And Question on factory rear speaker?

All Models and Years
JasonC
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Speaker size? And Question on factory rear speaker?

Post by JasonC »

Ok i did a quick search on what size the front indash speaker is for a 65 and didnt see anything. So what is the size of it? And about the rear speaker. Does anyone have any pictures of where it is to be located and what the factory cover looked like for it, and size of it too? This is the only thing that dont work on my car, and would like to get it working. As for the rear speaker, i'm just curious.
1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp 4spd
1992 BMW 325ic
1997 Jeep Cherokee SE 4x4
dawgfishx wrote:Pennsylvanians...Annoying the British since 1775 ! ;-)
JasonC
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Speaker size? And Question on factory rear speaker?

Post by JasonC »

Well i did some more digging. And found it was a 6x9. But needs to me 8ohm. Now i dont even listen to AM. But i do have a 8 track under the dash i'm wanting to hook up too. I know that isn't stock, But posted here to find out the correct sizes and about the rear speaker.
1992 BMW 325ic
140Vair

Post by 140Vair »

Jason,

Many moons ago I had a '65 Monza coupe. It was my first Corvair and I had a blast with it. It had a 140/PG engine combo, clock and a rear speaker that actually worked when I (my Mom) bought it in '77. I don't remember any details, but I do remember the rear speaker had a metal grill painted to match the rear cove area behind the rear seat. I believe the grill also had a cloth material adhered to it on the underside to help protect the speaker from foreign objects and UV rays. If I recollect correctly, it too was a 6x9 speaker. Not sure if it was 8 ohms. I imagine it was, if the front speaker was.

I hope that helps a little.
68, Monza, 95, PG #7732, built 3rd wk of 01/68
MonzaDave

Post by MonzaDave »

I have a stock '69 rear speaker. I have no idea if it's the same as the '65, but probably is. I'd be happy to post a picture if that would help.
Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN
JasonC
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by JasonC »

Thanks for the replies. I took out the factory speaker and it was a 10ohm! But i stuck an 8 in it and works fine. I did found over on Corvair Center is where they was saying these used 8ohm. But oh well now. And the rear speaker, i think i got an idea of what the grill looks like, But if you got an picture of the grill and its location, please post up a picture :)
1992 BMW 325ic

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”