FITCH SPRING RUBBERS?

All Models and Years
Homebrew

FITCH SPRING RUBBERS?

Post by Homebrew »

Was hoping someone would have some information on these suspensions bushings. Placement and some pictures would be a great help. I recently scored which I believe is 2 sets. They contain 4 big bushings and 4 little bushings. Understanding big ones two be installed between rear springs in place of snubber, and small ones on front tops of front shocks. Correct? Not seeing these before this is what I have gathered over the internet. Was posted on another forum but post was so old pictures were not included. Not seeing these before in person again any help would be greatly appreciated. Can you help? :fingerscrossed:
Butcher&Vairs

Re: FITCH SPRING RUBBERS?

Post by Butcher&Vairs »

Post a pix of the bushings, and maybe somebody will recognize them.
Rafee Corvair, parts and service, in the heartland of the USA
http://www.rafeecorvair.com
tel: 918-753-2486, available 7 days a week, no charge for advice
Homebrew

Post by Homebrew »

New at this never posted a pix before. Will try .
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

The large hollow rubber pieces replace the rubber snubber that is inside the rear spring at the top. You may have to get new nuts and bolts.

The smaller bushings go on the front shock rod. You are supposed to cut the original rubber snubber in half and retain it. Then slide the Fitch bushing on above it and replace the shock.

I do have an instruction sheet around here somewhere if you need it. Pretty easy really except you do have to cut the original front shock snubber.

"UNSAFE"
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

Raffee - the Aeon Rubber springs are visible in this cover shot in a few places. Basically black rubber donuts.

They are just rubber bumpers that make contact before the springs bottom out giving some additional damping force instead of bottoming out against the original hard snubbers.
Attachments
c+dsprint.jpg
c+dsprint.jpg (27.22 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Homebrew

Post by Homebrew »

Unsafe ,
Those are the exact ones on the cover. Know knowing this I will have 2 sets. I bought them on e-bay and I guess they no longer had a need for them. If you post the instructions it would be greatly appreciated. Sounds simple enough though. Seen where you had a fitch and have to say...I have really enjoyed you video's on this site. Also seen your picture of Alaska. Where you at? I was in Wasilla at Elemendorf for 4 years and sure miss it, especially the snow-machines. You say front shocks bushings in half?
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

I'm in rainy SE Alaska - Juneau.

Those Aeon rubber springs are a very sought after item by Sprint owners. $$$$$$$$$$$

Do you have a Sprint ? Honestly, I really don't know how much difference the Aeons make.

Yes , remove and saw the original large shock snubber in half . Like you would a bagal. I can't remember for sure right now if the little Aeon snubber goes above or below the original ? It oughtta be obvious but I'll see if I can round up the instructions.
I have several Sprint articles yet to post.
I've lived in Alaska for most of my life. Traveled to Mt Mckinley when I was a kid but never been to Anchorage or Fairbanks.
There's a pretty big group of snow-machiners up here but snow is iffy and where they let you ride is limited. Many of the guys travel to Whitehorse via Skagway on the ferry to race and ride.
A fellow Corvair nut visited me last summer after being stationed at Elmendorf AFB for a few years.
Thanks on the videos - I have a blast playing with my new editing softwares.

"UNSAFE" Kevin Willson
Juneau Alaska
1965 Monza :burnout:
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Homebrew

Post by Homebrew »

Unsafe,
Don't have a Sprint but do have one nice Corsa and always looking for improvement. When I was stationed there I lived in Wasilla and rode at Hatchers Pass. I have to tell you them are some of the biggest high marks I ever did. If you could find them instruction it would be a great help. I feel I may be best to put the front bushings under the original bushings. Not knowing for sure is what has me asking questions. How is it on your Sprint? Thanks in advance. :tu:

Steve
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

I haven't found the actual instruction sheet yet but I did find a photo .

The installation is how I described it , I wasn't sure about the front Aeon but the pic shows that after you cut the original rubber snubber in half - you put the little Aeon on the shock first and then the cut down snubber.
Attachments
scan0231.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Homebrew

Post by Homebrew »

Kevin,
Wanted to thank you for the help. Posted a request on CC and Bigwave added different information. Same instructions with detailed settings for alignment. Parts arrived day before yesterday. There were two sets with addition of two big washers. My thinking is the washers are to be installed inside the rear rubber bushings to prevent the nut from being pulled thru. They are made in England and are original AEONS. I was looking for some of these awhile back. Don't know why Lon listed two sets instead of splitting and making more off E-bay, but it just had listed and had a buy it now!! So I snagged them and with your help and others I can get them installed. :ty:
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

Yeah - my old Sprint had a set mounted on it and there was a brand new set in the trunk.

It also had Koni shocks , they were corroded . I sent them off to get rebuilt by Koni and got back brand new looking shocks with even the era correct Koni wings decals.

The big washer does go inside the rear Aeon. It seems like I had to use a different bolt too but that was 20 years ago.
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”