TEMP GAUGE JUMPS

All Models and Years
Yonan

TEMP GAUGE JUMPS

Post by Yonan »

I maybe chasing my tail on this, but

My temp gauge was peg this morning before I started her, when it started it went down right away but as I drove to work it would bounce back and forth in syn with me pushing the gas pedal sometimes.

What makes it more complicated is Im confused because I have a 110hp engine in her now not the 140 or turbo. Do I need a thermister to make it work properlly. The gauge seemed to work great the first month Ive had her, drove it last night and all was good. Now its HAUNTED.... :helpsos:
Jonathan, GM parts guy, 66 Corsa, 04 Silverado, 01 VFR
tboltkc

Re: TEMP GAUGE JUMPS

Post by tboltkc »

It sounds like you have your stock Corsa temp gauge hooked to the stock temp switch? When you say it used to work, you mean it actually looked like it was registering a temperature on the gauge? I'm surprised because I thought the stock temp switch was a snap switch that was either on or off. The thermister is a variable resistance switch that moves the gauge as the resistance changes. Maybe the stock switch works like that somewhat too, but I don't think it would be accurate at all. Not that the thermister is really all that accurate either :) But I think you need a thermister (which I do not believe will screw right into the 110 head) to make the gauge work right.

But if it changes immediately as you press the pedal it sounds to me more like the wire running to the switch is shorting out somewhere along the way. Maybe where it goes through the shroud? I would look at that and see if it is touching anything around the pedal linkage at the transaxle. You might also unhook the switch completely and see if it still does it as you work the throttle. I've had similar issues caused by gauge wires shorting on the engine sheetmetal.
Travis
Heart of America Corvair Owners' Association - Kansas City, MO
http://www.hacoa.org
'65 Corsa turbo, '65 4 door 110/4spd, '63 Convertible 102/PG (Judson in its future), '62 Deluxe Wagon.
Yonan

Post by Yonan »

Yes, it would act like it was working, have my doubts now. The temp switch is in the rh head right? I see one there but no wire connected to it. I'll look at it some more when I get home tonight. The gauge would come up to about 200 while driving normal about 300 at freeway speeds.

Thanks
Yonan

Post by Yonan »

Well, It turns out I do have a thermister installed and connected in the LH head. I found where the wiring is a little suspect. Moved them around a little and gauge is working properly again. Good for now, I have some wiring to redo though.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”