RACK & PINION

All Models and Years
osborneslo

RACK & PINION

Post by osborneslo »

:help: I've heard that Mustang II racks will work in a Corvair. Who's done it? Or, is there another rack that will work? Also, how about part time assist electric power for parking these things?
GOLDVAIR

Re: RACK & PINION

Post by GOLDVAIR »

There must be someone out there who's delt with..... and is familiar with TOYOTA MR2 second gen. electric power steering unit. And! Who has ideas to make this work on a Corvair. Good luck to you.... I'm very interested in this project. :chevy:
osborneslo

Post by osborneslo »

Mat. How did you mount the rack in your car? Did you make the brackets or find a kit? Is there some data you can provide to keep the geometry correct and avoid bump-steer? What tie rod ends did you use to fit the Corvair spindles? I'd like to have the rack & pinion to get away from the 5+ turns lock-to-lock that I currently enjoy and use something like the MR2 electric power steering pump, that GOLDVAIR mentioned above, for assist while parking. Please share your experience. Thanks, Ted
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

I have heard of Using Datsun Z car racks.

There were kits available at one time. You still had to weld on the brackets.

I think Duane Cartwright in Oregon was working on a complete front suspension with rack and disk brakes but I haven't heard anything since 05.
Attachments
rack.jpg
rack.jpg (22.54 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

Wow - I've never even heard of electric power assist steering ! Sounds pretty fancy.

But why PS on a Vair that is so light in the front to start with ?

If you just want to quicken up the steering the easiest cheapest way is to just replace the steering arms. I see there are some for sale in the parts section.

Matt -- photos photos photos !!! How about some pics of that steering rack and the mounts.

2 turns lock to lock --- No wonder you don't drive it much ::-):

Mine was at 2.5 and I changed the arms so it wouldn't be so quick. My geometry was all messed up and the car would not turn once the wheel was cranked beyond a certain point. It was not a problem on the street except for parking but on an autocross with tight turns the front traction would just go away.
943.jpg
I thought about R&P but I never got past there.

There is a difference besides just the ratio - a rack does give better road feel and response.
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Phil Dally

Post by Phil Dally »

That cone looks yummy being eaten by the front suspension. :cool:
CA Central Coast
Vairy V8 Rides Again.
LA Angels fan since 1978
World Series Champs 2002
Only Own 10 Corvairs Today
Been Associated With Fifty!!
VairDare

Post by VairDare »

2 turns with power sure seems real touchy
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

Phil - there are at least 3 cones under there and maybe even 4 . There were people running for cover. There was a video on youtube that showed me sliding into them and then they started spitting out the back in the next 100 ft or so.
That was in buffalo Ny. It was an autocross set up on a small race track. The track was an oval with a smaller oval inside it. We started out making 2 laps of the inside turning right and then you made a hard left onto the outside track for less than a full lap. It was off camber and rough thru the transition area.
I hit the cones making the transition to the outer track. I admit I entered it a little bit hot but when I cranked the wheel the front end just slid. Felt like the front tires were fighting each other. I had the same problem in Iowa at Marshalltowm. I had to keep lifting the throttle to get the back to swing around. I was using a quick box and aftermarket quick arms and it was screwing up the geometry.
Since then I replaced the arms with some shortened arms but I haven't driven it enough yet to notice the difference.
That was the event that Ronnie 4 carb gave me the name "Conekiller" . He took the photos. Thanks Ronnie ! :wave:
Attachments
926.jpg
946.jpg
945.jpg
942.JPG
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

UNSAFE wrote:Wow - I've never even heard of electric power assist steering ! Sounds pretty fancy.

But why PS on a Vair that is so light in the front to start with ?
one reason....because he wants too. :tu: :rolling: :swerve:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

>>>>>>one reason....because he wants too<<<<

That's one reason that can't be argued :rallye:

What a bunch of wild new smilies - I just discovered page 2 :oldtimer: :oldtimer:
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
osborneslo

Post by osborneslo »

More than just "wants to". I'm 61 and have had shoulder surgery on one side and the other needs it. Turning the car in a parking lot is truly a pain. I think the quicker rack and pinion will take more muscle so I thought why not include part time power like my wife's Mini has. I read about the MR2 electric pump on the web. With all of the inquiring minds in Corvair land, I'm sure that there is an answer that is simple and works properly. Switching my EM to LM suspension turned out to be no big deal. I'm almost finished with adding power windows and am looking for a better way to steer the thing. Thanks for the responses - keep them coming! Ted

PS: Mat, I wish I were closer so I could look at your car. I see you also have power to that rack. Where's your pump?
UNSAFE, beautiful car! I wish I had your wheels on my car. Do you have a phone number or e-mail for Duane?
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

I did a little Googling about the Electric assist and it seemed kinda complicated as far as retrofitting.

Remember tho that I hadn't even heard before now.

One thing to consider might be the Corvette power steering like on my 1978. You would still need a pump mounted on the motor which doesn't seem like a big deal but I'm not sure about rotation direction.

The vette uses a standard non power steering box and the power assist is by a hydraulic ram that mounts to the frame on one end and to the steering linkage on the other end. It uses a control valve to sense steering pressure and then assists.
Just something to consider.

No address for Duane handy but I don't think his was power steering and since I haven't heard anything I'd guess the project is dead. Duane designed the cartwright fuel injection system that you may have seen in Clark's catalogs.
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
osborneslo

Post by osborneslo »

Great thought about the Vette ram. I bought a new one in '76 (the whole car, not just the ram), it cost $9,600.00. I've almot got that much in my Corvair! Forgot about the ram business until you guys mentioned it. I'll have to look into the subject a bit more but it sounds like a possibility. On the other hand, a rack with varible ratio would cut down on the lock to lock cranking. Anybody driven a Corvair with manual rack & pinion that has also driven a "normal" Corvair? I'm curious about the effort required to steer both cars when parking.
Tummytable82

Post by Tummytable82 »

I'm doing my homework with corvair rack and pinion
So I'm looking for lowest price and parts off any parts store
Floor.
Lm late 1965 model corvair coupe

2005 chevy cobalt rack
2001 pt cruiser inner tie rod ev404
1995 ford Taurus outer tie rod

Need to install rack water line center 1.125" higher than corvair bottom control arm bolts
Steering arms about 5.00" pivot length
Corvair outer tie rod is 0.52/0.62
Every thing looks good in paper
Cobalt pivot points are 24" Corvair 23" that's why you have to move rack up 1.128

So I'll be playing with these numbers see what happens
jaimegonzalez

Post by jaimegonzalez »

How did your setup work? I'm planning on updating front suspension with a rack and pinion and disc brakes.
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

Just for the fun of it, I did a quickie search for GM Electric Power Steering and found that "Jegs" sells an application specific product made by a company called EPAS. http://www.jegs.com/p/EPAS-Performance/ ... Id=3542551

It is not surprising there is no specific kit for a late Corvair but....they do offer one for the mid year Corvettes.
SInce the mid year Corvettes share some components with the Corvair, it might be close enough to consider looking into it. :think:

EPAS Performance Electric Power Steering Conversion Kit 1963-1967 Corvette Part Number: 563-2002 $1,450.00 with "Free Shipping"

The photo was taken (borrowed) from the Jegs catalog for the mid year Corvette application.
EPAS Electric PS kit.jpg
EPAS Electric PS kit.jpg (28.95 KiB) Viewed 2234 times
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”