Dropping the gas tank of a 1964 corvair 700

All Models and Years
Honda750Guy

Dropping the gas tank of a 1964 corvair 700

Post by Honda750Guy »

any how to's, tips or tricks? need to drop the tank to clean it out, does not leak but has 10 year old gas in it. also any specific way of running the new fuel lines or can i just follow under the body and take it to the mechanical fuel pump? second thing is im tackling the brakes. drums seem useable, need new shoes all the way around. how much of a pain is it going to be to run brake lines to the front and rear? does the gas tank impede the brake lines going anywhere? thanks for any help you may have.
tboltkc

Re: Dropping the gas tank of a 1964 corvair 700

Post by tboltkc »

I believe there is a hard brake line that runs behind the tank. I know there is on a late model, I think the early has one too, so replace that while you have the tank out.

Supposedly you can drop the tank with the front suspension in, but I have never had much luck doing it that way. I usually end up dropping the front crossmember, which is pretty easy as long as the bolts come out clean.
Travis
Heart of America Corvair Owners' Association - Kansas City, MO
http://www.hacoa.org
'65 Corsa turbo, '65 4 door 110/4spd, '63 Convertible 102/PG (Judson in its future), '62 Deluxe Wagon.
Honda750Guy

Post by Honda750Guy »

ok thanks, im going to get started stripping more parts off fri and sat... hopefully the tank drops easy. where is the filler neck connected to the tank by chance? or do i just remove it near the fuel door and wiggle it out?
Corvair.crazy
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Corvair.crazy »

There is a rubber hose connector that connects the tank to the filler neck. With a couple of hose clamps. BTW they are hard to get to.
Jon
CORSA member
1962 Spyder convert
1961 Rampside

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”