Stereo 65 coupe

All Models and Years
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: New Memeber

Post by UNSAFE »

Scott wrote >>>I have a single 10" between two 6x9 component speakers on the rear deck of my 65. It's very loud. Yours will probably blow out the windows...<<<<

Eh ?

I'm really into rocking stereo systems and I always have been !

Currently the only sound system I have in my Vair is a pair of Supertrapps in the back . :D

I entered a local stereo contest last summer with my Toyota Tundra truck and with my 1978 Corvette. I won 3 awards including 2 1st places for my truck. The stereo that came in it was a complete joke.

I replaced the head unit with a double DIN multimedia player. It plays video DVDs, CD, SD card , MP3 , I-pod Satelite radio etc etc. Even has a removable nav system and inputs to plug in a camera. It's an Alpine unit that holds 1 DVD/CD and the I have a 6 disk shuttle in the console. It has 2 pairs of ADS 6.5 inch component speakers and a pair of fancy ADS 10 subwoofers under the back seat. I actually had to raise the rear seat.

The pair of 10s are driven by 1000 watts RMS and the component amp is 600 watts RMS giving 150 to each pair of components. 10 speakers total and remote control.

I won first in SQ (sound quality) and 1st in SPL (sound pressure level) It cranked out 130 DB.

The tiny cockpit of my 2 seater vette houses 11 speakers , 3 amps and a 6 disk CD shuttle. All of this is almost invisible and the only thing that stands out as not stock is my homemade sub box. I got a 2nd in SQ with it. It has 1000 watts RMS total.

They also wanted to measure the DB of my Corvettes side-pipes so I revved it up for the judges. 117 DB and that's with the silly baffles in place. :D

Kevin
Attachments
speaker1.jpg
dash.jpg
dash.jpg (28.13 KiB) Viewed 1424 times
garage space 1.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Wow, I'm impressed! A fellow audiophile! Sounds like you know your stuff.

The Supertrapps on that big bore motor do sound sweet, (even though I have only heard them via youtube). I want to run two Two Brothers motorcycle silencers on my 140.

I went old school and bought an old D-Class Alpine amp. It's so old I cannot find what the RMS is on it. It's not 1000 watts that's for sure. lol
I put the stereo system in even before I had it running correctly, and the interior is still thrashed as well. Oh well, it's my car, my priorities... :D .

Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

My newer Alpine amps are also class D. They are very small and stackable.

Way less than a foot square and only about 2 inches thick. The gain is turned way down as I have already blown some fancy speakers.

The Vette has 3 amps - the sub amp , a Directed mono 800- only 300 watts RMS is hidden below the "glove box" which is behind the passenger seat. It pushes an Orion 12" sub.
Then there's an old A/D/S/ PQ 20 bridged to give 150 watts RMS to the front ads speakers, Woofers in the door and tweets on top of the dash in stock locations.

Then there's another amp- JL-Audio I think (CRS)- it's about 4x100 watts running a pair of 4 " ADS components and a pair of MB quart 5" mid-bass speakers . The amps are cleverly hidden behind the sub box and the speakers are mounted in the sub box too. The sub is isolated from the other drivers.

The head unit is an older Alpine with remote control.

The cross-overs are hidden all over including under the dash , under the console and in the sub enclsure that I made.

The stereo sounds very different as to when I have the T-tops on or off !
Attachments
paintbooth7.jpg
snowvette2.jpg
interior1.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

UNSAFE wrote:
Currently the only sound system I have in my Vair is a pair of Supertrapps in the back . :D

Kevin
Do you have anything planned for the 'Vair?
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Stereo 65 coupe

Post by UNSAFE »

No stereo planned for my Vair. It's really not the kind of Corvair that you would really want tunes in. When I drive it it's usually only an hour or less at a time. Heck the "end of the road" is less than 50 miles away.

It would take a lot of stereo to overcome the noise in my car . Not just the exhaust but everything on it makes more noise. I have solid nylon tranny and crossmember mounts which relay engine and trans noises.

But the main reason is weight !!!! I figured it would take about 100 lbs of stereo. I just don't want to lose the performance that 100 lbs would penalize me.

I did have all of the stuff gathered up to do it and planned on how everything would be mounted .
The amp was a very spendy ADS 8 channel . I got a super deal on it but the retail was 4 grand. It was super fancy and even came in a hand made wooden box that could pass as furniture.
I was gonna use two 10" ADS subs. Again- super fancy , gold plated and spendy. I got a rare deal because they weren't current. The subs retailed for 1500. I bought 4 of them (cheap) and have 2 in my Toyota.

I was gonna use ADS components similar to what's in my truck and keep everything as invisible as possible.
I sold the amp on Ebay and my auction got scammed about 4 times in one week.

My Vette is more of a cruiser and does need tunes :partydance:

I was gonna post a few pics but I can't find them right now . :oldtimer:
Attachments
dipsticks show 1 resize.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

That make sense. I was concerned with adding the weight too but I plan on driving my vair allot. And in the words of LL, "I can't live without my radio". :cool:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

Hey Scott ... which stereo is that in your car? Looks like a Custom Audiosound unit. Do you like it?
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

The radio in my car is a USA AutoSound unit I bought on eBay, and no I don't like it. The RetroSound unit from Crutchfield looks much better and has much better specs. It will be my next radio for my car.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

Oh, thanks for the tip. I'll check out Crutchfields to see what they have. As much as I'd like to have a stock am-fm stereo in my car, I can't see paying that much money for one. =)

But the wife wants the car to look stock-ish for it's age.
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

I just tried to look up the retrosound unit on Crutchfield but its no longer there.

I bought the cheaper one because of my budget. It works, but I want better sound quality and it buzzes thru the amp when I adjust the volume.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

This is the unit I bought and the seller I bought it from.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/65-66-69 ... ccessories
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

K - thanks. I'm just going with a marine am-fm-cass I have laying around. I'm almost done with a small consolette and I'll just use that for now.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”