Leaky Leaky

All Models and Years
Damien8086

Leaky Leaky

Post by Damien8086 »

Now that I’ve got the 61 700 rear on jacks stands and am checking out the bottom I am noticing several leaks.

Can you tell from these pictures what is leaking and what the remedy may be? Also once the fluid/leak is identified if you could please help me locate where to measure the current levels and where to fill as I imagine they must be low given the leaks.

Thank you!
Damien8086

Re: Leaky Leaky

Post by Damien8086 »

Images aren’t attaching for some reason, trying again
Attachments
RexJohnson

Post by RexJohnson »

In the first picture the diff fill plug is above the exhaust pipe between the axle and the bell housing. The trans fill plug is the bolt in the center of the big red washer. The bolt isn't very tall so be careful so that you don't round it off.
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

And do NOT use GL5 gear lube. GL5 has additives that will attack the brass syncros in your transmission. Dennis
Damien8086

Post by Damien8086 »

Any idea why it would be leaking so much? Maybe a worn out or poorly seated gasket?

For changing/filling do I just remove both bolts, pump siphon out the old and then add fluid until it starts overflowing out?
gbullman

Post by gbullman »

How much actually ends up on the floor? My transaxle looks a lot worse than that but very few drips make it to the floor (actually the cardboard I keep under the rear of the car). And I’ve checked my levels a few times and they don’t move enough to be “measured”.

Remember new cars in the showroom in the 50’s & 60’s had catch trays under them so the floor wouldn’t get oily so expecting dry components for these cars is a bit of a stretch.
Gary Bullman
66 Corsa Convertible
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

61s have drain plugs! Yay! They were eliminated by 1964, although then we got the axle lube dipstick to make it easier to check the level. And then the bean counters made that go away for the 66 model year. :td:

The transmission should have a drain plug too, but I do not see it in the pictures. At the opposite end from the shift input shaft. Shift shaft seal is a common leak. So are side seals on the differential.

But, unless it is leaving drips on the floor, do not think it is a rush to fix them. Do check the level, though. :tu:

Bought the shop manual yet? The 61 manual has lots of good stuff in it. They only issued supplements for 62, 63, and 64. You can see a pdf copy on corvanatics.com but the pictures are poor. Best to buy one. :clap:
:dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
Damien8086

Post by Damien8086 »

I should’ve mentioned, it’s a 61 but it has the 64 ZF 110HP motor in it - that may be why you don’t see the drain plug in the picture?

There is a decent sized wet spot on the driveway under it.
Attachments
IMG_7360.jpeg
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

Does the differential have two tapped holes in the bottom and some cast bosses where a transverse leaf spring would mount? I’m thinking no since it has a drain plug. :dontknow:

Smell the spot on driveway. If gear lube it will be obvious. :tu:
Last edited by Frank DuVal on Sun May 05, 2024 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
jimbrandberg

Post by jimbrandberg »

I like to run it in a clean floor, jack it up and see what develops. I often use a plumb bob to see where it is dripping from. If you wait until there's a pool it's harder to locate.
Leaky differential side seals on EM can be a bugger.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com
RexJohnson

Post by RexJohnson »

In the pictures you can see the diff drain plug but I couldn't see one on the trans. It might be a '64 or '5 trans? The 3 bolts holding on the throttle pivot don't match so someone has been there before.
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer
Damien8086

Post by Damien8086 »

Yes, it’s a 61 body with a 64 ZF 110 motor
Damien8086

Post by Damien8086 »

jimbrandberg wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:00 am I like to run it in a clean floor, jack it up and see what develops. I often use a plumb bob to see where it is dripping from. If you wait until there's a pool it's harder to locate.
Leaky differential side seals on EM can be a bugger.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com
Thanks for the tip, I think you may have actually done some of the work on this car. I got it from a seller in MN and I think I saw some paperwork/invoices with your name.
Attachments
IMG_7371.jpeg
Damien8086

Post by Damien8086 »

Took some more pictures - seems to be greenish in color and I am pretty certain it is coming out of the passenger side and possibly also the driver side where the rear axle goes into the differential (I think).

Unrelated but I also noticed a couple of clipped wires just hanging down close by the rear axle (last three pictures). They’re coming out of a grease blob - not sure what it is. Any idea what these are for - should I just clip them off?
Attachments
IMG_7382.jpeg
IMG_7379.jpeg
IMG_7376.jpeg
IMG_7372.jpeg
IMG_7375.jpeg
IMG_7377.jpeg
IMG_7374.jpeg
Damien8086

Post by Damien8086 »

There is a pretty decent amount coming out too - a jack stand I left out under the car yesterday was splashed by the leak and it was running down the legs of the stand.
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

Looks like "axle stub" (for lack of the official name) seals. Not the end of the world, and verify first. Me, I'd get under there with a can of gunk or your favorite engine cleaner (purple stuff, green stuff, whatever), give it a good spray down, and hit it with my pressure washer. After that, the leak will be plain. e can get into repair details when we know for sure.
Wires appear to be coming from your back up light switch. These can leak too. The connector tabs stick down and end up carrying weight they aren't supposed to if the transaxle is sat on the ground. Mine (1962) were leaking and I sealed them with a drop of Super Glue on each tab. If you remove the switch, trans fluid will leak out. Dennis

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”