Your Daily Dose of Zinc Philosophy (DDZP)

All Models and Years
Wittsend

Your Daily Dose of Zinc Philosophy (DDZP)

Post by Wittsend »

Interesting presentation on Zinc (ZDDP) with actual testing. That said the emphasis seems to be on ring wear, not cam wear. Likely because so many cars today use roller lifters. To me the most interesting part of the presentation is the max Zinc levels in various oils today. I don't believe I've ever had anyone state a specific limit was in effect.

'61 Lakewood in a coma for 50 years - now has a pulse
66vairguy

Re: Your Daily Dose of Zinc Philosophy (DDZP)

Post by 66vairguy »

A good video that shows the pluses and minuses and how too much ZDDP is corrosive. Adding a bottle of this stuff to your regular oil is asking for trouble as oil expert Widman stated on the CCF. The optimal ratio is a NARROW range of values.

Here is a little outline.

Very little ZDDP was used in oil before the 1940's after which it was increased.

During the 1960's the BIG THREE decided to increase the mileage between oil changes to reduce maintenance costs or (buy our car and spend less on oil changes). Unfortunately during warranty (only 1 year of 12,000 miles) new cars were having camshaft and lifter failures UNDER WARRANTY COVERAGE! Rolling back the extended oil changes would have been a disaster in customer relations, not to mention lawsuits. After some furious research it was found that increasing ZDDP compensated for motor oil wearing that caused metal contact and camshaft scuffing. It was determined too much ZDDP was BAD for the engine. This was a quick economical fix to compensate for oil breaking down and getting dirty.

When catalytic converters came along ZDDP in oil had to be reduced, HOWEVER motor oil has many other components and as R. Widman said today's motor oils are so much better that less ZDDP is not an issue.

Folks switched to diesel motor oil for their Corvairs. HOWEVER diesel motor oil now has less ZDDP due to emmisions controls, BUT other additives are now used to compensate.

Racing oil --- as the video stated, detergent additives are NOT good to minimize friction (and don't suspend contaminants well). Great for racing, but when you get home and daily drive you should replace it with regular 10W30 motor oil.

WHAT TO DO???? For normal driving ----- remember ZDDP compensates for worn out dirty oil. My solution is to simply change my Corvair oil every 1,000 miles with quality 10W30 oil. This was the pre 1960's oil interval change recommendation and engines had no camshaft issues. Myself and other Corvair owners I keep in touch with use a quality 10W30 and change it every 1,000 miles. This eliminates worn out oil and reduces contaminants collecting in the engine. In a decade NOBODY in our club following this procedure has had a camshaft, lifter, or ring issue. Just my :my02:

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”