Automatic transmission

All Models and Years
Deagleson

Automatic transmission

Post by Deagleson »

My wife has a 1963 corvair convertible and when you drive it everything works fine and shifts good. Then when you park it in the garage and leave it set for a week it will puke tranny fluid out. I've changed all the o-rings, checked the vent plug and changed the pan gasket. It also runs down through the tunnel and leaks out on the front of the car. Any ideas would be of great help. Thanks
Dennis66

Re: Automatic transmission

Post by Dennis66 »

"Puke tranny fluid out" as when you start it? Or, do you mean it leaks while sitting for a few days? If leaking while sitting, add the getting into the tunnel, I'm inclined to think it is working it's way back up the shift cable. Because my Corvair auto transmission experience is limited, I'll leave further advice to those more experienced with the automatics. Dennis
American Mel

Post by American Mel »

Dennis is likely hitting the nail on the head.
Davemotohead will tell you to thoroughly clean the cable, and then use REAL AUTHENTIC "Rescue Tape" to repair your cable. (don't bother replacing, it will just do it again eventually.)
If you wait long enough, Bodie will write a dissertation on PG Tranny leaks that will cover every possible thing you have done, and even those you have overlooked.
Currently own: '66Monza Coupe, '67Monza Vert, '67A/C Monza Sport Sedan
Have owned: '61Monza Coupe, '62Monza Wagon, '63Spyder, '65 Corsa
Loc: WA, One mile south of Canadian border.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:think: I highly recommend watching the YouTube video produced by Larry Claypool! ...end of my dissertation. :clap:

FROM THE WORKBENCH OF LARRY CLAYPOOL: Powerglide Transmissions

:link: viewtopic.php?t=17294
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

As others have said those symptoms are classic leaky shift cable. It leaks as the fluid level slowly rises from converter drain back.
The cable fills with fluid and when it gets cracks in the outer housing it leaks.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

Yes to the cable, as a hole there will let the red stuff out, but..... :wave:

Any automatic transmission that is not run for a while can do a leak on the floor. Usually it's the torque converter seal that gets weak (stiff) and starts to let air into the torque converter. Remember the putting your thumb/finger over the straw in a drink and you can remove the straw with the liquid still in it? Torque converter does the same. Pump fills it and without a way to get air into it, the fluid stays in place. Let air in and suddenly the pan is overfilled with transmission fluid, so it spills out of any available orifice. Having been in the collision shop business with "projects when we have time", sitting around I can tell you C-6, C-4, Turbo 400, 350, etc etc will spill given enough time and a weak torque converter seal. We just got in the habit of starting them every week or so when possible. I've been waiting to change the head on our 50 Commander and the DG150 has marked its spot! That's a Detroit Gear automatic, Warner Gear Division, Borg Warner that is. Almost the same transmission that Ford started using later. They could have saved development money and time if they had just partnered with Studebaker. :rolling: It is amazing how far just a quart of ATF will coat a floor. :rolling:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I've had the cables leak after sitting even with a new converter bushing and seal. I'm sure a bad seal would make the problem worse.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
SpyderMan

Post by SpyderMan »

The rescue tape fix works vey well. I repaired the cable in my wagon 7 years ago and it is still dry as a bone.
Sam Russell
1962 Monza Wagon
1964 Monza Spyder

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”