Full Rebuild or Not

All Models and Years
joelsplace

Re: Full Rebuild or Not

Post by joelsplace »

I know I'm a lot more motivated and have more fun if I can drive what I'm working on.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
jmiahman

Post by jmiahman »

joelsplace wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:19 pm I know I'm a lot more motivated and have more fun if I can drive what I'm working on.
and you have a 157 (and counting) "projects". Can you give me any more tips on how to stay motivated on just one and also how to convince my wife to get a few more Corvairs in the yard?
1960 Mystery Monza Corvair (named Rusty) Engine ID: T0602YD
Jeremiah from QueenCreek, AZ
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

You aren't seriously expecting an answer from me on that are you?
Northlake, TX
jmiahman

Post by jmiahman »

lol no, I don't have the acreage just yet, maybe when I get 20 acres or so I'll hit you up again and I am pretty sure I could just keep my wife busy with giving her goats.
Lane66Monza

Post by Lane66Monza »

Maybe if you can do a leak down test on the remaining cylinders, you might get your answer on the basic condition of the engine. Caveat is providing you can get each cylinder into its TDC position.

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for ... kdown-test
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
1966 More Door 110 PG FOR SALE
rcavictor

Post by rcavictor »

As for rebuilding?
Here is my thoughts, take them with consideration of what they are costing you.
I would wait on rebuilding.
Right now, I would look for a replacement jug, or even a complete used running engine.
A 110 would be a nice upgrade.
Just get the car running, then go deeper, if the two of you wish, AFTER you have gotten the brakes and suspension sorted out.
I think Mel nailed it! And I would agree… get the car on the road with a decent running engine. This will fuel your enthusiasm and motivation. Work on the rebuild at a measured pace with regard to time and resources.
Rob

- Cornucopia of Corvairs
Ocklawaha FL
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

One mistake to avoid is buying tires first. I see a lot of people do that, then take 2 or 3 years to finish and by then the tires are halfway aged out or worse taking longer and then have to buy new tires.
The clock starts on tires as soon as they are made.
The good news is that the Maxxis seem to be a lot better quality than most and I've got some that are 10 years old and still fine. I wouldn't count on it though. 185/85R13 Maxxis MA1 is the only correct size tire available for the original wheels. Watch out for trailer tires. You don't want them.
If you are going to be driving it in 6 months for sure then don't worry about it.
Northlake, TX
jmiahman

Post by jmiahman »

Lane66Monza wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:10 am Maybe if you can do a leak down test on the remaining cylinders, you might get your answer on the basic condition of the engine. Caveat is providing you can get each cylinder into its TDC position.

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for ... kdown-test
A leak-down test would have been good but I have already removed the head on the driver's side. One thing I didn't mention is before I did the compression test I got it to run shortly it sounded terrible, so I went with the compression test and found the issues. The head was terribly dirty but had very little damage just some copper melted to the valve and some to the gasket lip (ridge, not familiar with technical terms) of the head that I was able to carefully pick off with some dental tools leaving an even smooth surface still for the next gasket.

Basically, I am asking if should I pull the engine and completely go through it as my father has said checking all the specs, or just replace rings (at 0.108 gap on Cylinder 6) and gaskets. I am leaning toward doing what I can to get it running semi-decent as soon as possible, but I am not familiar with these engines and how much wiggle room I might have, granted I know every situation is different but I would like to know what others might do in my situation if initially, their focus is getting it running on a budget while working with a "handy" helper.
Attachments
cleaning_head.jpg
Last edited by jmiahman on Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
jmiahman

Post by jmiahman »

rcavictor wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:21 am
As for rebuilding?
Here is my thoughts, take them with consideration of what they are costing you.
I would wait on rebuilding.
Right now, I would look for a replacement jug, or even a complete used running engine.
A 110 would be a nice upgrade.
Just get the car running, then go deeper, if the two of you wish, AFTER you have gotten the brakes and suspension sorted out.
I think Mel nailed it! And I would agree… get the car on the road with a decent running engine. This will fuel your enthusiasm and motivation. Work on the rebuild at a measured pace with regard to time and resources.
Thanks, I am not sure about the new engine part, I kinda want to keep the car as close to the original as I can, but I do agree that we need to get it running soon and a bit on a budget.
jmiahman

Post by jmiahman »

joelsplace wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:08 am One mistake to avoid is buying tires first. I see a lot of people do that, then take 2 or 3 years to finish and by then the tires are halfway aged out or worse taking longer and then have to buy new tires.
The clock starts on tires as soon as they are made.
The good news is that the Maxxis seem to be a lot better quality than most and I've got some that are 10 years old and still fine. I wouldn't count on it though. 185/85R13 Maxxis MA1 is the only correct size tire available for the original wheels. Watch out for trailer tires. You don't want them.
If you are going to be driving it in 6 months for sure then don't worry about it.
This is good to know, my actual angle with this was going to be to visit junkyards and buy used tires (185/70R14) initially after finding some 4 lug ( 4x114.3) 14" rims (at junk yards) that will work, while we're working on it I'm not worried about pretty.. just yet that will come with bodywork, and that will actually start with the interior first. So something to get us to test driving will suffice, but the tires on it did hold air long enough to get us on a trailer using that terrible slime stuff.. but it worked and I don't plan on keeping the 13" rims (in knowing tires are hard to find and not cheap) so I am not worried about clean up, but obviously I am not planning on driving on those. I would like to keep it as close to the original with the drive train paint and interior color as I can but I know that may not be realistic, realized that when researching the tires, especially if I am trying to balance original (stock) with drivability and maintainability. I want my son and me to be able to drive this thing and not just take up a spot in our garage for 90% of the time.. maybe 50 or 40% lol.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

14" and even 15" are getting difficult to find in good sizes.
Since the Maxxis is available I leave the 13s on most of my Corvairs. If I want a good selection of tires I go to 17" since there are hundreds of choices. 17" is the new 15".
Northlake, TX
rcavictor

Post by rcavictor »

Thanks, I am not sure about the new engine part, I kinda want to keep the car as close to the original as I can, but I do agree that we need to get it running soon and a bit on a budget.
Clarification - put a decent running engine in temporarily while you restore the original.

Have fun with the project!
Rob

- Cornucopia of Corvairs
Ocklawaha FL
jmiahman

Post by jmiahman »

joelsplace wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:39 pm 14" and even 15" are getting difficult to find in good sizes.
Since the Maxxis is available I leave the 13s on most of my Corvairs. If I want a good selection of tires I go to 17" since there are hundreds of choices. 17" is the new 15".
Are you sure you just don't want to see pictures of me cleaning the slime off the rims so you're pushing me back to the 13" direction lol I kid. This is really good to know, I will need to clean up my rims though, and repair a spare rim that rusted in a small area, that will be fun. The Maxxis' aren't cheap though at about just about 500 for 4 ($121 on Amazon, free shipping). How are they for dailies? A tread life of 60,000 ain't bad but do they actually meet that? Maybe I buy one a month lol. Hope they're easier to mount than trailer tires. I balance them with the old-school bubble balancer it's worked so far for my trailers.

Thanks again, great info. I saw them mentioned but thought it might be better to go a different route to get a used budget tire on there, that might be more easier and common to find, but if it's not might as well bite the bullet.
jmiahman

Post by jmiahman »

rcavictor wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:25 am
Clarification - put a decent running engine in temporarily while you restore the original.

Have fun with the project!
Thanks, Rob, I'll keep an eye out, but start stocking up on parts for a top-end refreshing I guess.. not sure what you'd call it.. head gaskets, rings, clean-up pistons (looks like it was burning oil or lean.. probably oil) +1 cylinder jug, and lifters. Lifters are dimpled (no dome) as well. Ball bearing doesn't roll off and stays in the middle.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Cleaning up slime is no fun.
You can check the crown on lifters by putting 2 face to face. I guess you know that if the lifters have no crown the cam is shot. You won't have to worry about wearing the tires out before the cam goes. Bad lifters is a good excuse to go ahead and tear down the engine to check everything.
14 and 15" tires used are extremely difficult to find around here.
Northlake, TX
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

By time you buy 4 14'' 4 lug rims, then buy used tires (IF you can find either), you're just about there on a set of Maxis. I know, I have a '62 and have been considering the 14'' route. Bear in mind that backspacing and lug pattern are critical. In my case, I was looking for rims that could accept a set of 14'' GM hubcaps. I believe there is a Hyundai or Kia that uses the same pattern, but I don't know about the backspace. The prices I saw for compatible 14'' rims (Datsun Z) were around 100.00 per rim. Dennis

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”