Horn goes off

All Models and Years
dixon5553

Horn goes off

Post by dixon5553 »

the horn in my 1966 Coupe just went off while the car was sitting in the driveway - what could cause this - bad horn relay?
Can you tap the relay to see if it's sticking - and how to trouble this correctly? I have not looked but I believe the horn relay is mounted in the trunk.

thanks
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Horn goes off

Post by bbodie52 »

The amount of electrical current drawn by the horns is far too mucch to be handled by the small switching system in the steering column. Because of this, a horn rela is used in the trunk to handle the high current drawn by the horns. The small switch contact in the steering column provides a ground connection when the horn button is pushed by the driver. This ground connection causes the horn relay in the trunk to close, which powers the horns until the driver releases the horn button.

1965-1969 Corvair Steering Column Wiring Harness.jpg
1965-1969 Corvair Trunk Schematic Diagram.jpg
In the above illustration, the heavy gauge 14R (14 Gauge Red) wire feeds battery voltage to the relay. When the operator presses the horn button, the thin 20 gauge black wire is grounded, which closes the relay contact and powers the horns.

If the relay has an internal short or is otherwise defective, the internal relay contacts may have closed and powered the horns. This type of fault would require replacement of the relay. It is also possible that there is a short within the steering column or somewhere along the relay ground wire that triggered the horn relay. An inspection of the wiring harness my reveal a wiring fault.

:link: https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalo ... ow_page=88

Part number C1167: HORN RELAY

Weight: 0 lbs 6 oz

Catalog Page(s): 88
Price: $ 15.65

:chevy:
Attachments
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS, HARNESSES & SCHEMATICS.pdf
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS, HARNESSES & SCHEMATICS
(12.21 MiB) Downloaded 9 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
dixon5553

Post by dixon5553 »

thanks for your input - RD
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

When you take the horn button off to see the three screws that hold the special washer in position, the screws might be Clutch Head screws, but a small slotted screwdriver usually works to unscrew them. Pay attention take pictures/notes as to how that not-flat washer sits when you take the three screws out. :chevy:

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
dixon5553

Horn relay check?

Post by dixon5553 »

Question - how / what readings are you looking for when checking the horn relay with a multi meter to see if it's bad? Thanks
dixon5553

Post by dixon5553 »

Frank - what special washer are you referring to I have no washer - just 3 brass screw that attach the part that the horn button snaps to and has a long leg that goes to the horn's plunger inside of the steering wheel hub.

I have a wood sport (GM OE PART) steering wheel on my 66 coupe.
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

The washer down below the cup, as large as the cup with a center hole and three holes for the brass screws/insulator assembly. It is a Belleville like washer that snaps from one shape to the other in order for the contact to be made to ground the spring loaded horn terminal (located below this washer). Similar to these parts:
Horn Button parts.jpg
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
dixon5553

Post by dixon5553 »

ok got it Frank. thanks for the clarification and your help - the horns seems to be working as normal now.
erco

Post by erco »

American Mel

Post by American Mel »

My first thought when a horn starts honking all by itself, is,........... Mice/Rodents. :dontknow:
I don't believe in ghosts.
Currently own: '66Monza Coupe, '67Monza Vert, '67A/C Monza Sport Sedan
Have owned: '61Monza Coupe, '62Monza Wagon, '63Spyder, '65 Corsa
Loc: WA, One mile south of Canadian border.
jimbrandberg

Post by jimbrandberg »

In my 65 Corsa in 1975 I was drinking and driving and had my horn start honking intermittently while following a cop on University Avenue.
I don't do stuff like that anymore.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”