Lower bearing on steering column

All Models and Years
screwrod@gmail.com

Lower bearing on steering column

Post by screwrod@gmail.com »

Hey guys I got myself into a little situation when I took my steering column off to check the lower bearing after dismantling bottom end of steering column to check Bering, which bearing was fine, I later found a spring lying on the ground,that my 65 manual says it goes in between the spongy gasket and the retaining clip keeping the spring under serious pressure, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense and doesn't want to go there see attached photos any help would be seriously appreciate it!
Attachments
Screenshot_20201128-230301.png
16066229476971290389299593794310.jpg
screwrod@gmail.com

Re: Lower bearing on steering column

Post by screwrod@gmail.com »

Unless I have the wrong shop manual for my late model 65,,the steering shaft is different from the em,to late model but I don't know about the steering assembly in the steering column
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

You need the 1965 manual and the 1966 supplement. This change to 2 piece shaft is not shown in the 65 manual, but is detailed on page 9-2 of the 66 supplement. here is a scan of the relevant diagram.
SCAN0097.JPG
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

What T Ted said. I recall you were advised before that you had a two piece late 65 column that is ONLY described in the 66 chassis shop manual supplement. It will show were the spring goes. NOTE: There is a clamp (NOT the one that connects the two shafts together) that must be adjusted to allow the upper shaft to be pulled up at the turn signal bearing so the wire snap ring can be installed. Too little play and you can't get the wire snap installed. Too much play and the steering wheel will move up and down as you turn it. There is a spacer/washer between the spring and bearing in the mast housing.

The clamp is extremely difficult to reach from under the car. It a LOT of work, but I assemble everything OUT of the vehicle - the upper shaft, mast, turn signal assy with bearing and THEN adjust the clamp to allow the shaft to move about 1/8" of an inch under spring tension. After that you pull off the mast and turn signal assembly and connect the upper shaft to the lower - install in car, then install the mast and turn signal assy.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”