Weatherstripping: DIY or Pro?

All Models and Years
glecharles

Weatherstripping: DIY or Pro?

Post by glecharles »

I want to replace all of the weatherstripping in my '65 sedan ASAP, but I can't tell if it's a straightforward DIY project or something better suited for a professional. (I definitely don't want to remove windshields myself!) And if a pro, who exactly does that kind of work?

If you've done it yourself, how it go?

If you went with a pro, who'd you use and how much did the labor cost?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Corvair Forum mobile app

1965 Corvair Monza 110, Sport Sedan w/ Powerglide | New Jersey
terribleted

Re: Weatherstripping: DIY or Pro?

Post by terribleted »

All the weatherstripping is pretty straight forward to replace requiring more time and elbow grease then anything else. The vent window seals are challenging require door disassembly and some drilling and riveting etc. The front and back windshields use no weatherstrips, They are glued in with butyl tape. Removing and re-installing these using a pro might be best if you are not comfortable with such things. Often there is rust under the edges of these glasses so should remove, repair rust, paint (at least in the window openings) and re-install...no normal glass man is going to do all this.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Ted did a great job of summing things up.

The "glue in glass" that became the norm in mid 60's is not a simple process. Now most new cars use a urethane adheasive and the frame tolerances are very small. I've redone a few GM glue in glass cars and as Ted said there is usually rust in the metal frame that MUST be repaired or it will come back.
The other problem is the the body frame tolerances were BIG. While up to 1/8" variations are normal I've seen them as bad as 1/4"!! So it's not a simple process of laying down the butyl and dropping in the glass if you want it to look good and have a good trim fit around the glass.

Also it's difficult to get the old glass out (must cut old butyl seal) without breaking it, but it can be done.

Unfortunately there aren't many shops now that know how to install the glue in glass. Most glass shops just cut out what they can and slap urethane over the mess and drop in the glass. You'll need a good body shop to pull the glass and clean and paint the frame. If repairs are extensive then you get into the issue of trying to match paint or painting the whole car. That why I always pull the glass and fix the frame BEFORE I have a car painted.
glecharles

Post by glecharles »

Thanks, both! Very helpful.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Corvair Forum mobile app

1965 Corvair Monza 110, Sport Sedan w/ Powerglide | New Jersey

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”