Replacement of U-joint assembly

All Models and Years
Deadwolf

Replacement of U-joint assembly

Post by Deadwolf »

I have found one of my U-Joint assemblies is missing the cap with all the little needle bearings. Not sure if the previous owner ran it this way as the car came completely stripped with only the Engine, trans axle, front suspension, and rear in place. Now I have to replace it and I read in the instructions and it looks like it is just added into the rear bearing replacement procedure. I was wondering if I can replace it without removing the rear axle on that side. Is their enough room/play to unbolt the U-claps and drop the axle out of the way then install the new U-joint assembly with a new seal? I hate going after work that I don't have to do yet, but I also want to make sure it is done right and I will not have to visit this U-joint anytime soon. Probably order the U-joint assembly from clarks.
1963 Impala SS convertible project
1963 Monza Spyder project
1963 Impala coupe Pro Street Project
1964 Monza Parts car
1963 Impala hard top sedan parts car
terribleted

Re: Replacement of U-joint assembly

Post by terribleted »

Ok you should state what car you are working on when you make a post asking for mechanical advise as all Corvairs are not the same. I assume you are talking about a u-joint on a pre 64 Corvair. You can remove the axle yoke and u-joint from the end of the axle, take it to the press, change the joint, and then reinstall it on the axle. If the axle is installed and the yoke pushed into the side of the differential you will need to remove the 4 nuts at the wheel end of the axle that hold it in the car and slide it out far enough to get access.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”