Steering gearbox noise!

All Models and Years
screwrod@gmail.com

Re: Steering gearbox noise!

Post by screwrod@gmail.com »

Because there is not a seal rubber boot or gasket on that steering wheel shaft going into the gearbox
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

screwrod@gmail.com wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:55 pm Because there is not a seal rubber boot or gasket on that steering wheel shaft going into the gearbox
There IS a seal the fits around the shaft that is pressed into the steering box. Clark's sells it.

Don't get ahead of things. Until the box is apart you won't know what is good or bad.

I understand this is a bit overwhelming if you haven't done it. It IS a lot of work to get all the steering components out of car, but it is easier than trying to take short cuts.

Finally - Everyone has limitations and there is nothing wrong with finding a more experienced person to do the work.
screwrod@gmail.com

Update! I pulled the gearbox out with the entire steering shaft (it is the late 65 model where the shaft is two pieces) no biggie! Also busted into the gearbox and am checking it out thanks everybody
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I can see your future....
Image :wave: :wrench: :clap: :wrench: :omgosh: :doh: :think: :wrench: :clap: :swerve: :thumbsupwink: :runwoohoo: :rallye:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
screwrod@gmail.com

Update part 2! Seems there is nothing wrong with the gearbox believe it or not, I dismantled halfway cleaned it all up checked everything for wear, seems fine, greaser back up and then noticed the problem is with the steering shaft bearing Midway through the car is a little rusty crusty bearing, that thing vibrates the whole shaft of the car,did some research saw that Clark's does not have this in stock, where can I find this item ? And how do I get it out?
screwrod@gmail.com

so I've been researching all the PDF files I've got from The forum, (which are totally awesome)and I found this picture of this steering shaft plate,that I think the bearing is in, not sure how easy or hard it is to take that bracket off, I haven't seen any info how to take this off in the manuals
Attachments
Screenshot_20201123-224457.png
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

What grease did you use? If it isn't thin enough to flow the box will wear out quickly. Some people use 00. I use synthetic gear oil.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
corvair500

Post by corvair500 »

Part number C12681: Is this the part you need ? Clarks has this one

https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalo ... w_page=158
screwrod@gmail.com

I think that's the one, thanks, I'm going to try to get that steering plate off tonight and check into it,I put some penetrating oil on it and worked it around it moves but it's a little crusty
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

screwrod@gmail.com wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:55 pm so I've been researching all the PDF files I've got from The forum, (which are totally awesome)and I found this picture of this steering shaft plate,that I think the bearing is in, not sure how easy or hard it is to take that bracket off, I haven't seen any info how to take this off in the manuals
Bearing is NOT in the bracket - it's in the mast. I already explained what holds the bracket on after you remove the mast bolts - go back and do some reading!!!!!
screwrod@gmail.com

Okay, hitting the books, thanks!

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”