Oil type I’m in [emoji636]

All Models and Years
Datsolow

Oil type I’m in [emoji636]

Post by Datsolow »

Hi all recommendations for engine oil please .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wagon Master

Re: Oil type I’m in [emoji636]

Post by Wagon Master »

Shell Rotella T4 10w-30.
Datsolow

Post by Datsolow »

Thankyou

Datsolow

Post by Datsolow »

Hi cannot get this in the uk [emoji3525]

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:wave: This is my recommendation for the Corvair engine, and I've included a UK distributor at the end...

ROYAL PURPLE 5W-30 HPS SYNTHETIC ENGINE OIL

:link: https://www.rivalmotorsport.co.uk/brands/royal-purple
ROYAL PURPLE HPS 5W30 FULLY SYNTHETIC PERFORMANCE ENGINE OIL

As low as
£13.10
✔️ DELIVERY ETA 1-2 DAYS

P/N 31530-RP
Royal Purple HPS Fully Synthetic Engine Oil is specifically formulated to maximize performance and meet the demands of high performance and modified engines.

Outperforms other leading high performance synthetic oils and conventional lubricants for both petroleum and diesel high performance engines. Royal Purple HPS engine oil responds to increased pressure with increased viscosity. Thus improved sealing between the piston ring and cylinder wall which maximizes power.

Royal Purple’s HPS is fortified with a high level of zinc/phosphorus anti-wear additive and Royal Purple’s proprietary Synerlec additive technology. The exceptionally high film strength dramatically reduces engine wear and engine heat, which in turn extends the life of the engine and maximizes on power.

Its advanced additive technologies improve the condition of metal-to-metal contact under severe load.

HPS performance engine oil is recommended for engines no longer under manufacturer warranty, and for those seeking a higher level of performance and protection.

Formulated for both petroleum and diesel engines & meets ACEA E9-16
Also listed and available in 10W-30...
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Datsolow wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:55 am Hi all recommendations for engine oil please .

WOW - you just opened the "oil discussion". There will be no end to opinions about what people feel is the best oil. Kind of like talking religion or politics - LOL.

Seriously there are a lot of "beliefs" and contradictions. On the CCF Ricard Widman is the lubricant expert who deals with oil sales and analysis. See his .pdf file https://www.widman.biz/uploads/Corvair_oil.pdf Feel free to email Richard as he usually replies to Corvair oil questions.

Bottom line ----- if you are NOT racing, the engine is sound, and it's only driven occasionally, then any quality 10W30 automotive oil will work fine if you change it frequently as in once a year or 1,000 miles (1609 Kilometers) which ever comes first. If you drive the car hard or a lot then spending the money on a better oil is worth it.

Keep in mind today's lower ZDDP motor oils are superior to 1960's motor oils. In fact ZDDP was only increased to extend oil change intervals in the U.S. in the 1960's when automakers were selling extended maintenance intervals as a way to promote savings for the car buyer.

As for all the camshaft failure hysteria ---- There are about 100 members in the local clubs and most use 10W30 lower ZDDP motor oil and there has not been ONE camshaft failure noted in TWO decades. Note these are Corvairs driven normally -- racing is another issue.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

You didn't mention your transmission type. If you have a manual transmission....
Much of this answer applies to the TYPE of gear lube you must use in your manual transaxle. THE ANSWER TO YOUR BALL BEARING AND SPRING PROBLEM IS NEAR THE BOTTOM...

:doh: I guess when GM engineers dropped the transaxle drain plug to simplify production and to save a little in the cost of manufacturing the Corvair, they assumed that Corvairs only had a life expectancy of 10 years or so and would be junked before they needed a change in transaxle gear lube. History has proven otherwise! Unfortunately, there is no easy way to drain the differential and manual transmission in many Corvairs, which literally sucks!
66vairguy wrote:Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:32 am

... DO NOT USE Redline MT-90 in a Corvair transaxle. Redline's site specifically states that MT-90 is NOT approved for hypoid gears (differential). So it is NOT acceptable for use in a Corvair transaxle since protection for the ring and pinion differential gears is inadequate. Redline does make a modified GL-5 lube that is suppose to work with brass synchronizers called - 75W90 NS GL-5 and states it's approved for transaxles with brass parts. NOTE: Redline NS GL-5 is different vs. their GL-5 which is NOT approved for transaxle use.

I did not know that about their gear lube products. The bottle lable states that it is suitable for transaxles, but the website states otherwise!

:link: https://www.redlineoil.com/mt-90-75w90-gl-4-gear-oil

Red Line wrote:Since most GL-5 gear oils for differentials are too slippery for manual transmissions, Red Line offers these products that ensure proper shifting while providing ultimate wear protection

Appropriate coefficient of friction for most manual transmission synchronizers (other's synthetic gear oils are often too slippery for proper synchro engagement)
Red Line offers lubricants to pinpoint nearly every transmission application
MTL, MT-85 & MT-90 are not for use in differentials with hypoid gears
Excellent gear and synchro protection, balanced slipperiness for easier shifting in cold climates
Excellent for high- and low-mile transmissions
Compatible with petroleums and other synthetics

And you are using GL-4 gear lube to fill your transaxle, right? NOT GL-5!
bbodie52 wrote:My research indicates that Red Line makes two separate gear lubricant products. One is specifically for use in manual transmissions, that include YELLOW METAL synchros. The Red Line gear lube manual transmission oils are rated as GL-4, but the fine print also specifically states that this GL-4 gear lubricant is NOT FOR USE IN HYPOID GEAR DIFFERENTIALS (the Corvair differential uses hypoid gears). The other Red Line gear lubricant products are GL-5 and are for use in differentials, but are not for manual transmissions. Because of this, neither of the Red Line series of gear lube products are suitable for use in a transaxle that shares fluid between the manual transmission section and the differential section.

See the material at the bottom of the following thread: :link: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=15340&p=106565&hil ... ne#p106565

As mentioned in the above thread...
MAX GEAR – HIGH PERFORMANCE SYNTHETIC GEAR OIL
Max Gear – High Performance Synthetic Gear Oil
Max Gear is recommended for use in truck and automotive front or rear differentials, manual transmissions and lower gear units of marine engines that specify use of an API GL-5 or GL-4 fluid. It is non-corrosive to soft yellow metals (brass, bronze, copper, etc.) and synchronizer safe. Specially designed to extend gear and bearing life, Max Gear provides superior corrosion protection over competing conventional and synthetic gear oils.

Max Gear is available in the following viscosities: 75W-90, 75W-140, 80W-90, 85W-140 and SAE 90
The above product line is from Royal Purple and is a synthetic product. It is not cheap but should work well in a Corvair manual transaxle.
75W-90 Long Life Synthetic Gear Lube
Use AMSOIL Long Life Synthetic Gear Lube in differentials, manual transmissions or other gear applications where one or more of the following standards are specified: API GL-5 & MT-1, MIL-PRF-2105E, Dana* SHAES* 234 (Formerly Eaton* PS-037) for 250,000 miles, Dana SHAES 256 (Formerly Eaton PS-163) for 500,000 miles, Dana SHAES 429A, Mack* GO-J & GO-J+, Meritor* 0-76N (75W-90) & 0-80 (80W-140) plus hypoid gear oil specifications from ZF TE-ML 07A and 08 foreign and domestic manufacturers such as GM*, Ford* and Daimler* Chrysler*. It can also be used in rear axles where API Service GL-4 lubricant is recommended.

So a non-synthetic GL-4 or some of the more-expensive synthetics, like Royal Purple, will do the job for you. The above material should help you to make a selection for your Corvair manual transaxle. Read the fine print carefully! As you can see, many modern products are GL-5, but not necessarily GL-4 for manual transmissions. Some GL-4 transmission lubes are not OK for hypoid differentials. Since the Corvair transaxle needs combine the two, many products will not work. I believe the Royal Purple synthetic gear lube is OK for the Corvair, but somewhat expensive.
With a manual transmission transaxle, the lubricant is shared between the transmission and the differential. The fluid level should be checked in both components, and should be filled up to the bottom of the threads in the fill plug holes. The capacities and recommended fluid type is shown in the specifications section of the Corvair Shop Manual, as shown below. Note that the 3-speed and 4-speed transmissions have a slightly different capacity. These capacities are from the 1965 Chassis Shop Manual, but they apply to earlier Corvairs as well. However, the transmission design changed in 1966, so the 1966-69 manual transmission has a slightly different capacity.

WITH REGARD TO YOUR ORIGINAL QUESTION, I'M GUESSING THAT YOU ARE ASKING ABOUT THE FILL PLUG ON THE SIDE OF THE TRANSMISSION. YOU MAY HAVE REMOVED THE INCORRECT PLUG TO FILL THE TRANSMISSION. SEE BELOW...

I hope my interpretation of your original question is correct. If not, please let me know.

1961-1965 FOUR-SPEED Manual transmission fill plug is circled in black. The DETENT SPRING CAP is circled in RED...
Manual Trans Fill Disc.jpg
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Datsolow

Post by Datsolow »

Hi my transmission = powerglide

joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

With a Powerglide use Dexron VI and use any good synthetic GL5 in the differential.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
Datsolow

Post by Datsolow »

[emoji636][emoji1360]

joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I forgot to mention that you need to keep a close eye on the differential fluid to make sure no ATF is getting in there. ATF will destroy it very quickly.
The Powerglide has 2 seals and an o-ring in the differential that keep the ATF out as it is pumped through the pinion shaft to and from the torque converter.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
Bruins_Fan
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Bruins_Fan »

I use this. Richard Widman told me it was fine. Not sure of availability in the UK.
20201119_145258.jpeg
Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Corvair Forum mobile app

'66 Monza Convertible 110hp Powerglide
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Note that VR-1 is acceptable for racing and hard driving and new engine break-in, but it has reduced detergent capability (to improve lubrication properties) and I would not use it if driving a lot at slow speeds in stop and go driving as it's not as good at preventing deposit build up (sludge). It's not unusual for weekend racers to use a racing oil, then change it to a standard 10W30 for normal driving until the next competition, then change back briefly to a racing oil. I know about five years back Richard W. noted the European VR-1 was different (and superior) to the version sold in the U.S.A. I'm not sure if that is still true. As Richard would say "oil formulation changes on a yearly basis". The new diesel motor oils are NOT like what was sold a decade back. A couple years back FORD banned one of the revised diesel motor oils from being used in their engines until the oil was improved.
Datsolow

Post by Datsolow »

Thank you [emoji1374]

Bruins_Fan
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Bruins_Fan »

66vairguy wrote:Note that VR-1 is acceptable for racing and hard driving and new engine break-in, but it has reduced detergent capability (to improve lubrication properties) and I would not use it if driving a lot at slow speeds in stop and go driving as it's not as good at preventing deposit build up (sludge). It's not unusual for weekend racers to use a racing oil, then change it to a standard 10W30 for normal driving until the next competition, then change back briefly to a racing oil. I know about five years back Richard W. noted the European VR-1 was different (and superior) to the version sold in the U.S.A. I'm not sure if that is still true. As Richard would say "oil formulation changes on a yearly basis". The new diesel motor oils are NOT like what was sold a decade back. A couple years back FORD banned one of the revised diesel motor oils from being used in their engines until the oil was improved.
I hear you on the detergent, though with low miles I'm putting on the car, it ends getting an oil change after only 250 or so miles at end of driving season here in New England and again at start of driving season in March or April, so it probably isn't an issue for me. That said, the price of the VR1 has gone up, so I'll probably switch to Rotella T4 10w-30 after I run through my last 8 quarts of VR1.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Corvair Forum mobile app

'66 Monza Convertible 110hp Powerglide

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”