Fuel Pump

All Models and Years
Scary John

Fuel Pump

Post by Scary John »

Hello guys, new on here asking for a little help with a fuel pump.
I have a 1963 Convertible and the fuel pump was dead. I ordered a replacement rebuilt pump but it doesn't have the dimple on the side for the retaining bolt to locate into. Does anyone have a pump that they could measure from the base of the housing to the dimple for me? No I can't measure the old one as one of my friends has thrown it in the trash two weeks ago and it's long gone. I'm thinking that if I locate it too far in the pushrod will over stretch the diaphragms
Thanks in advance
66vairguy

Re: Fuel Pump

Post by 66vairguy »

"REBUILT" --- I'm not aware of any rebuilts, just new at this point in time.

Recently someone else bought a "new" fuel pump without the retaining "dimple". It's a defect.

If you purchased the pump from a Corvair vendor they will replace it. I'd request a replacement since yours is not correct.
terribleted

Re: Fuel Pump

Post by terribleted »

Scary John wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:29 am Hello guys, new on here asking for a little help with a fuel pump.
I have a 1963 Convertible and the fuel pump was dead. I ordered a replacement rebuilt pump but it doesn't have the dimple on the side for the retaining bolt to locate into. Does anyone have a pump that they could measure from the base of the housing to the dimple for me? No I can't measure the old one as one of my friends has thrown it in the trash two weeks ago and it's long gone. I'm thinking that if I locate it too far in the pushrod will over stretch the diaphragms
Thanks in advance
Likely a garbage pump from Rock Auto. Have seen a few of these in photos. It is kind of hard to drill a cone shaped hole anyway. Send it back and buy a real pump from a Corvair specific vendor or convert to electric.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”