Solved: Adjustable Lower Ball Joint

All Models and Years
erco

Re: Solved: Floppy New Lower Ball Joint Normal?

Post by erco »

I'm starting to wonder if my machine shop disassembled the BJs to safely press them in, then reassembled carelessly. I didn't scrutinize the new BJs before assembly but I think I would have noticed this as a potential problem even from casual inspection.
erco

Re: Solved: Floppy New Lower Ball Joint Normal?

Post by erco »

A full exploded view of my adjustable ball joints before I installed them today. I like that the ball is made in 2 halves. When the load is pulling upward on the ball, it may turn inside the small shaft diameter rather than turning the larger diameter ball. Lower friction, potentially saves some wear & tear. Interesting adjusting the BJs. From "bottomed out" and the joint stiff, just 5 degrees of loosening the adjustable lower ball socket loosens up the shaft. Very easy to tilt & turn compared to the new upper BJ, which is very stiff.

balljoint.JPG
caraholic4life

Re: Solved: Adjustable Lower Ball Joint

Post by caraholic4life »

Many many years ago....back in the mid to late '70's Moog offered an "Adjustable" ball joint.
While the idea was good in theory, they were not without their issues.
A friend had them in his Late convertible and had one fail shortly after installation.
It would not surprise me if there were other companies that offered them as well, but I imagine there is a reason they are not offered these days. :my02:
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
erco

Post by erco »

Oh come on, JC Whitney wouldn't still be in business if they sold me bad parts... :doh:

Wait, they're out of business...? (they survive in name only: https://www.carparts.com/jcwhitney/)

I'm not alone in loving their old B/W catalogs, like the old Johnson-Smith novelty catalogs. They were like Harbor Freight for car parts. Remember they didn't sell spark plugs, but FIRE INJECTORS!!! And other ridiculous stuff.

http://bestride.com/news/entertainment/ ... ey-catalog
Attachments
JCW 1971 - Fire Injector.pdf
(249.96 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
JC Whitney Continental Kit.jpg
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Regular ball joints are cheaper than adjustable so the only adjustable ones you can find are expensive racing parts and of course none are available for Corvairs.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”