C-Pillar Rust

All Models and Years
erco

C-Pillar Rust

Post by erco »

My beloved '67 had matching rust-throughs at the TOP of the C-pillars. Is that common? Seems like an odd place to me, I've only seen it at the bottom on other cars: http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,310638

A lot of cutting, sanding, wire wheeling, derusting, drilling, riveting, reinforcing, and fiberglassing later, and just a thin outer layer of Bondo ...

Takes a lot of time & patience to get that seam line right, behind the chrome.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
6.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
terribleted

Re: C-Pillar Rust

Post by terribleted »

Any small leak in the window channel above there would keep the area wet And that area does not drain well./ There is often some lead in that area as well and the lead work from the factory rusts sometimes behind the lead....Friday at 4:00 car? make sure everything in the area including the drip rail is well body caulked to keep moisture out and maybe your repair will last for a while. I would never use glass in that area as I am sure it flexes some due to seeing too many cracked seams there. Welding solid is much better, but, what you did might last for you...time will tell.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Deadwolf

Post by Deadwolf »

Results are looking good! I really wouldn't have thought that would be a place to see a lot of rust. I normally see it at the bottom and sides of the rear window or up underneath the drip rail which is a pain to try and fix.

I would have personally cut it out and welded a piece of steel in below the final contour of the panel, but as little as possible. Then filled with a metal filler with a skim coat of bondo on top for final shaping.
1963 Impala SS convertible project
1963 Monza Spyder project
1963 Impala coupe Pro Street Project
1964 Monza Parts car
1963 Impala hard top sedan parts car
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

I've seen that before. That's why I always pull the glass and fix the window frame. The other issue is the caulk in the drip rail where it is welded to the roof. I've seen many nicely painted cars with the cracks in the caulk area and of course it eventually rusts through the new paint. I removed the old caulk/seam sealer and redo it before the car is painted.

Your fix will be fine for a few years, but I know from experience it WILL BE BACK and worse. The only real fix is to cut out ALL the metal with rust and weld in new like the folks do back east. Out West it's easier to just get a car with a better body.
erco

Post by erco »

I pulled the glass (front & rear) many moons ago (30+ years) and did lots of repairs. I will pull it again for more repairs soon, I just have bigger fish to fry, like getting it running!

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”