65 140 motor

All Models and Years
monzadon

65 140 motor

Post by monzadon »

I am putting my motor back together and one of the upper studs the threads stripped, so i am replacing all.the upper studs on that side, do i.need to put anything on the threads that go into the block?
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: 65 140 motor

Post by azdave »

First, how are you repairing the stripped hole?

Second, why replace all the studs? Are they known bad or only suspected? You can do a test before you build the engine to be sure the studs won't pull out later during assembly. When the case is still empty, you can use a section of 1/2 water pipe over the stud with washers and nuts that will allow you to test torque the stud to 35 ft lb. If they survive that test, then call it good and only torque the heads to 30 ft lb during the build.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
monzadon

Post by monzadon »

The studs were corroded on the ends about a 1/2 inch down on that.side i ran a die over the threads and used new nuts and had 25 lbs torque when the threads stripped because the way the other studs looked i didn't want to take a chance on the rest.of them, they looked iffy
monzadon

Post by monzadon »

It didn't strip out of the block it stripped at the head area
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Corrosion of the threads on the head side is an issue in the Midwest and N.E.

A word of caution --- Removing the studs from the block can be difficult. I have a turbo block I got with a load of parts I bought a long time ago. Someone decided to pull ALL the head studs out of the block and BROKE OFF FOUR FLUSH WITH THE BLOCK!!! The studs are tough, but once they lock in the alumium block (3-5 of the threads have a shallow valley to lock into the aluminum) they can be difficult to remove.

Check on the Corvair Forum as there are more folks there with head stud experience.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

I'm so used to the hole in the block stripping out that I made an assumption that you were dealing with that.

I would apply localized heat with a propane torch to help expand the aluminum around the stud before trying to spin it out. Some people use a drop of red Loctite when re-installing studs to the case. Lucky for me here in the desert that I don't often see the threads rusted away on the upper studs.

See this thread about heating the case and cooling the studs for removal.
viewtopic.php?t=1644
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
monzadon

Post by monzadon »

Thanks for all the information, i got all the studs out that i want to replace and didn't have any problems getting them out, this car came from Louisiana and i think it was used on the beach a lot, the body was really rusted out and i think that is what caused the stud corrosion i found a lot of white sand in the carpets, i had to replace all the floors and inner and outer rockers,front lower lower 1/4 panels and front and rear lower front fenders, its a good thing i am a retired auto body repair man anybody else might have just scrapped it out but i saved it and it came out beautiful

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”