Coil connections, 65 110 w 4 speed

All Models and Years
Mcwho

Coil connections, 65 110 w 4 speed

Post by Mcwho »

Just wanted to verify, i did take a pic but its not clear.

Here is what i have

Pos side of coil terminal (+)

Red wire to distributr points

BlaCk/yellow wire to ignition switch

Condenser for rf interference

Negative coil term (-)

Black wire to distributor points

Can anyone verify this ?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Corvair Forum mobile app

1965 Corvair Monza Coupe 110, 4 speed, Liberty Blue
joelsplace

Re: Coil connections, 65 110 w 4 speed

Post by joelsplace »

That is correct. If you have a tachometer it goes on the negative side also.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
Mcwho

Post by Mcwho »

Yes, i just installed a tach, thanks. The qiring diagram frombthe shop man shows a brown (brn) wire going to the neg aide as well. Any idea what that is?

Thanks

I am reinstalling my points cause my pertronix is flaky.
20200927_190343.jpeg
Sent from my SM-G965U using Corvair Forum mobile app

1965 Corvair Monza Coupe 110, 4 speed, Liberty Blue
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Light brown wire is normally the tach wire
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
erco

Post by erco »

@McWho: Wow, your dash lights are bright! LED?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The voltage from the ignition switch to the coil positive terminal (20 B/Y) is only approximately 7 VDC when running (reduced from 12 VDC by a resistor wire (20 W/R/B) in the circuit to prolong the life of the Ignition Points). The lower operating voltage also helps the stock ignition coil to run somewhat cooler, but reduces the spark plug voltage. The voltage is temporarily increased to full 12 VDC battery voltage when the starter solenoid/motor is engaged to boost the spark plug voltage during engine starting to promote easier starting.

For proper operation of the Pertronix Ignitor (1162A) or Ignitor II (91162A) electronic ignition module, the power source for the Pertronix module MUST bypass the resistor wire in the wiring harness. If this is not done, the voltage powering the Pertronix module may be too low and may cause unstable operation. The Ignitor II module also does not like to operate with a six cylinder engine at low idle speeds (approximately 600 RPM, as with a Powerglide Transmission-based Corvair in DRIVE). At those low RPM settings, the magnetic sensor may misread pulses and begin skipping pulses, causing a misfire and engine stall at idle while the automatic transmission is in DRIVE or REVERSE. This latter (slow-idle misfire) problem does not appear to be a problem with the 1162A Ignitor model)

According to the schematic wiring diagram, the 20 BRN wire from the ignition coil negative terminal is for the tachometer that is a part of the CORSA instrument panel. This wire travels (on the MONZA or Corvair 500) only as far as the 12-pin wiring connector at the Monza instrument panel. It stops there, since there is no tachometer in the Monza or Corvair 500 to connect to. (If an aftermarket tachometer is added to the Monza instrument panel, it should be possible to locate the brown wire at the instrument panel connector near the dashboard to splice into the brown wire and use it for the added tachometer. The tachometer sensor wire input has a high impedance input that should not affect the ignition coil operation. Its purpose is to simply count each voltage pulse as the ignition coil is switched on and off by the ignition points or the Pertronix ignition module. The tachometer senses the pulses and is calibrated to interpret those pulses as 6-cylinder engine speed and display it as RPM meter deflection on the gauge).

I did notice that the engine compartment 12-pin multi-connector in this picture appears to show the bottom two wire pins that are unique to the CORSA are missing in the picture. This may indicate that a MONZA or 500 model wiring harness may not have any of the wiring to the dashboard that would be unique to the CORSA. In such a case a tachometer added to a Monza or 500 instrument panel would require a completely new sensor wire to be run from the instrument panel to the ignition coil negative terminal to support the tachometer addition.

Left-click Each Schematic Diagram to Enlarge for Better Viewing. Click a Second Time for Maximum Enlargement...
1965 Corvair Engine Compartment Wiring Diagram
1965 Corvair Engine Compartment Wiring Diagram

1965 Corvair Monza Full Schematic
1965 Corvair Monza Full Schematic
1965 Corvair Corsa Full Schematic
1965 Corvair Corsa Full Schematic
:wrench:
Attachments
Pertronix 1162A Ignitor Installation Instructions.pdf
Pertronix 1162A Ignitor Installation Instructions
(725.17 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Pertronix 91162A Ignitor II Installation Instructions.pdf