Sudden starting issue with 64 110 pg

All Models and Years
terribleted

Re: Sudden starting issue with 64 110 pg

Post by terribleted »

Walt wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:52 am
So something dawned on me this morning and I got a good laugh from it... in wondering how in the world this starter comes out, I'm imagining the challenge of reaching in there AND having to turn a socket wrench... the job would be a whole lot easier with an impact wrench and compressor right?! Which of course I do not have... is it possible with hand tools or do all of you have the power tools?
Darn near impossible to get anything like an impact wrench up in there to access the top bolt. Hopefully someone has not done that with the powertrain out of the car as it will make it hard to remove now. I use a 9/16" socket on 6-9 inches of 3/8 drive extension on a normal 3/8 drive ratchet to loosen the top bolt. You can position these tools so they will go onto the bolt. You are overthinking this it is not that hard. If for some reason the standard ratchet will not let me loosen the bolt I defer to my longer 3/8 drive breaker bar (it is about 12" long). I only recall one time where the bolt was so tight that one of these did not work. In that case I removed the forward piece of sheet metal shroud that runs across the front of the engine and used a box wrench and a hammer from above to get it started.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Walt

Post by Walt »

Ok fantastic... you are making me think I'll be able to do this,thanks! I will let you know how it goes when I get to it in the next week :)

Walt

Post by Walt »

So a quick update... I received a starter from Clark's this week and was able to remove and replace it today and the car started! Yay! Obviously the issue could be something within the old unit, but when I got it out I found that the post that the yellow wire goes to on the solenoid was wiggly... maybe that was the issue on the inside...? Anyway, while I can claim success on this, getting under the car today after it sitting for 2 weeks revealed a new leak in a new place... I'm going to start a new thread for some thoughts on that!

Anyway, thank you all for your help on this! Have a great night.

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Nice!!
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Walt

Post by Walt »

I'll take any little victory I can!

Thanks again!

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”